1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Deeks: Houston trying to dump Jeremy Lin, prioritize salary over basketball assets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Dammit Roxlove comments still showing up after I ignored him

2. highlander3128

Clutch just told me you REALLY are the troll. Get over it son. Live a good life.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Is this Mark Deeks serious?

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I am not the biggest Jeremy Lin fan, but I must say I am ashamed at some of the comments I am seeing on here. People forget we are ALL Rockets fans.... we may have different views on what the organization should do regarding talent, but we are here to support the Rockets! If Jeremy Lin helps us win I would love to have him on this team. If he's not helping us win, we need to trust Morey because he knows what to do. I must say, we did make the playoffs last year with Jeremy Lin as our point guard... granted James lead the way.. but still.

5. dream1222

dream1222 Member

look like he's the only one who leaked that info and he just gained 4000+ folowers after that tweet

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I was having a joust on twitter with this same guy. I repeatly told him there is no salary spike,just a straight 8.3m contract. We went at it for about and hr and many tweets back and forth. I finally said,whatever you want to say,lin counts 8.3 against the cap and if he's traded he count 8.3 against the new teams cap.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Sam Hinkie says he's a point guard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fC2rJxlyzws?start=47" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I read that. His point is clear. He's talking about a spike in salary commitment, not a cap hit. You kept on misunderstanding it to be the same.

9. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

If he thinks our FO cares about that he's even more wrong.

10. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I think he's been trying to practice his three point shooting in-game. He's been in a few of these games this month with a focus on practicing 3s in-game.

11. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

He needs to work on his floater in the lane. Right now he only has the righty layup and finger roll. Having a reliable floater will help him get past the shot blockers.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

From a trade value standpoint it's very important. Jeremy Lin becomes basially untradeable next season because most owners would be too cheap to take on $15mil real salary when they can only give back ~8mil to the Rockets in a trade for salary matchin purpose. At least this offseason, Lin's real salary commitment is only 2yr/$20mil, which isn't that different from his cap number.

Not that I believe the Rockets front office is actively trying to dump Lin, but should Morey really want to trade Lin, this offseason is his only chance. Come trade deadline or next offseason, the trade market will only be restricted to owners who don't care about the bottom line.

13. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Once his 3 is a realible threat he will ha e space to drive.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Completely irrelevant blabber by an irrelevant blog poster and thread starter.

15. raskol

A floater w

16. raskol

A floater would be nice. I still think a deadly confident 3, would be much more important though. I wonder what Bev's been working on. These next months are going up be so long~

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Lol no game of thrones no nba!

18. Sham

Sham Member

Hi there, I'm Mark Deeks, the man who wrote the tweet and occasional forum poster.

I feel I should address a few concerns expressed here.

I appreciate a lot of people do not know who I am, and as such, it's hard to place stock in what I said. All I can do, no matter how empty it may ring, is assure you of my intent. I have no intent to be a journalist or a report or self-w**** page count fan or whatever. I have tried to cultivate a reputation of quality over quantity. My basketball output consists of two main areas - salary/CBA information, and player scouting. This is because the two are the most important things that go into team building. And I am a huge fan of that. I love it. I love team building, transactions, long term strategy, and the like, and that's what I tune into. I'm not trying to be a rumour-mongerer - I am much more of a post-transaction analyst. And while I rather did the opposite here, I do put out information occasionally. You know how much of the draft coverage last night was spent talking about Garnett's trade kicker? Search and see who reported it first :)

I further appreciate that because this news is unsavoury to many, many people may wish to question the source. Absolutely fine. All I can really offer is that it comes from an extremely legitimate source, i.e. someone who took one of Houston's such calls about Lin. If you choose not to believe me, and would rather make puns off my name or accuse me of doing it to gain 4,000 Twitter followers (it was actually 96), I understand. Just passing it along, t'is all I can do.

14 people like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

This is exactly why I don't trust those damn red coats.

20. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Mark, thanks. Could you name the the team got the call?