1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of player do you like/dislike

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by arno_ed, Jun 26, 2013.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Since the offseason has started I thought it would be nice to discuss what type of players do we like and what type of players do we dislike and why.

For me it would be:

Post up big man:
    I’m just a sucker for the old post up Centers. I love watching post moves. I think I like this especially since I was also a post up big man when I Played basketball.
    Examples: Olajuwon, Mchale Pekovic

Shot blockers:
    I love rim protectors. There is no play in basketball as beautiful as a blocked shot.
    Examples: Olajuwon, Ibaka,

Intelligent team players
    I like when a team plays together. I love it when a player wants to create for teammates, I love watching the extra pass.
    Examples: Ginobili, Parsons, Parker

Dislike:

Inefficient scorers:
    Hate I when a player keeps shooting even though he is missing, but in the end of the night he got 30 points of course it took him 30 shots. A lot of times that player is perceived as player of the game because he scored the most points, even though he shot below 40%. If he would pass a little bit more to teammates who are in a good position they could score more. They also shoot so many times that teammates lose focus on offense.. These are the most overrated players in my mind.
    Examples: Iverson, Carmello Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Monta Ellis

Scoring punch from the bench
    This one is similar to the first one, except these type of players usually are a sixth man, and their role is to bring a scoring punch. I hate it when a player cannot contribute to a team when he isn’t scoring, especially if he keeps on shooting even though he isn’t making his shots. They also usually do not even know they can actually pass the ball.
    Examples: JR Smith, Jamal Crawford

Non rebounding big man:
    Like I said at the beginning of this post I love the big man of the 80-90s. I love rebounding battles. I cannot stand big man who do not rebound. It is such an important part of basketball.
    Examples: Brook Lopez,

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

something about 'Olajuwon, Mchale Pekovic' cracked me up

Shotblockers who consistently roam out of position and screw up their team's defensive alignment annoys me. Or guys who always try to swat the ball out of bounds instead of securing the rebound and starting a fast break.

I still hate point guards who work harder to create shots for themselves than their teammates.

I don't care for shooting guards under 6'4".

3. SK34

SK34 Member

Defensive players (Tony Allen, Abery Bradley)

Guards that can get to the rack and score easily. (Rose, Westbrook, Parker)

Dislikes:
    Players that are like Melo and Jr Smith

Bigs who can't rebound or block shots.

4. basketballholic

Like:
    Players that love the game enough to spend all summer in the gym, taking 1000+ shots a day, doing defensive footwork, running, and strength training

Intelligent players that see the floor and look to make the connection with the rest of the team, that recognize and understand the merits of overlapping defensive assignments, that scramble on the perimeter and help on D.

Players that can catch and shoot from the parking lot and have a quick release.

Players that are aggressive driving to the basket and look for contact before finishing.

Players that play bigger as the game gets bigger, that want the ball in crunch time and have the above strengths.

Big men that throw crisp, quick outlet passes with no hesitation and are quick enough and smart enough to get the ball out of bounds after a made basket against and fire it deep for the easy get-back.

DISLIKES:
    Players that are known more for their tattoos than their games.

Players that are so dumb that they screw around with multiple women without birth control with no intention of taking care of the people they procreate.

Players that are not superstars with huge posses/entourage.

Players that whine at the officials constantly.

Players that take lots of 17-22 footers and don't hit them at 55% or better, especially bigs that do this.

Big men that can't rebound and avoid banging in the paint.

Perimeter players with no quickness.

Floppers.

Bigs that spike the blocked shot instead of intelligently tipping it down to themselves and starting the break.

Players that try to beat a press with the dribble instead of passing.

Bigs that have no post-up game and are not athletic enough to finish high on the pick-and-roll.

5. jvu

jvu Member

You know you could just say I concur or I agree w/ OP

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I like dudes who attack the basket - guys who draw fouls, can finish, and create for others - like James Harden!!!!

I hate dudes who are too lazy/afraid to attack the basket & just throw up ill-advised jump shot after jump shot - like JR Smith....

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I also really like role players who play good defense and can consistently hit the open shot - like Francisco Garcia or Danny Green or Patrick Patterson.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. "I like guys who can run the offense like Nash, Magic, and Steve Blake."

As for me, I like big guys who can post up. And guys who box and rebound like a grown ass man should.

9. coffeelover665

I like guys that run offense and make beautiful passes. - Nash, Rondo, Lin,

I like guys that can do crazy crossovers and make people stumble -Crawford, A.I, Irving,

I like guys that have extremely good work ethics- Kobe, Jordan, Lin, Will Smith

10. arno_ed

:grin:
    I tried to think of a good post player who is still in the NBA. There just aren't that many, and that is very sad. One of the reason why I like the NBA less now than in the 90's. I hate all the rule changes making it easier for guards and harder for post players.

Pekovic is one of the better post players in the NBA, I could have mentioned Duncan. Pekovic is just one of my favorite non-rockets players. (if only he could actually block shots).

11. basketballholic

Andre Miller and Jamaal Tinsley are great post-up players.

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Someone who can play all 5 positions, about 6'8 250lbs, very unselfish, gets his teammates involved and can take over when necessary. Someone who can dominate down low offensively, drive to the hoop and score at will and can also spot up and hit the 3. Someone who routinely rejects dunks and shots from centers and other post players. Superman on the court and a great family man and role model off the court, spends time with his wife and kids and never gets into any type of trouble. Also, makes cool commercials wearing Dr Dre Beats headphones.

Dislikes:
    Overpaid Asian point guards

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Like: good passing centers, good post up wings, tough strong high energy defensive guards. Those are my favorites to watch.

Dislike... bad players.

14. arno_ed

True, but I said post up big man. And they are both not big man.

15. arjun

arjun Member

Like:
    Tim Duncan
    Kobe Bryant
    Kevin Garnett
    Yao Ming
    All 90s greats

Dislike:
    Lebron James
    Dwight Howard
    Carmelo Anthony
    Dwayne Wade

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dislike floppers and fake tough guys:

Kevin Garnet
    Shane Battier
    Derek Fisher
    Kevin Martin
    Lebron James

Like great passers, skilled big men, two-way players:
    Roy Hibbert
    Rajon Rondo
    Marc Gasol
    Paul George
    Tim Duncan

17. basketballholic

Actually you said players. But I knew what you meant. Sad state of affairs when best post up players are point guards.

18. Normalus

Normalus Member

The only players I like (outside Houston) is Ray Allen, Jeff Green and Joakim Noah. I don't know how to call my section. Any help?

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't care about most things, except that I like:

- People who work relentlessly and make their decisions based on winning the big prize.
    - Players who don't fit the typical mold (a shot-blocking 3pt shooter for example).

20. The Stig

The Stig Member

Like:
    Fluid shooter. Stephen Curry, Ray Allen comes to mind
    Heavy arsenal in their drives (stutter-step, euro-step, etc.). Harden, Parker, Wade

Dislike:
    Dunno. Chuckers and ball-stoppers.