1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Pelton: Stardom no longer seems to be in the cards for Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 24, 2013.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Are there really that many players with PPat's skill sets out there? A good enough defender with a great shot when open? I just don't see that many of them, but I'd like to be wrong. Somebody name a few, since people are so sure they're out there.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

When Morris replaced Patterson during PPat's injury, the Rockets had a mid-season run. Following the Robinson trade, the Rockets basically played more Delfino/Parsons at PF along with a bunch of rookies that performed overall badly. Yet they won more a lot more games. Even if you take into account overall team chemistry and better schedule, at worst we can say the Rockets broke even.

Regardless of his specific skillset, Patterson's production is apparently very, VERY replacable.

3. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

pre all-star break
    rox ppg: 106.1 ppg on .462 fg%
    opp ppg: 103.3 ppg on .457 fg%
    overall: +2.8
    rox record: 29-26 (.508 win%)

post all-star break
    rox ppg: 105.6 ppg on .457 fg%
    opp ppg: 100.8 ppg on .447 fg%
    overall: +4.8
    rox record: 16-11 (.592 win%)

i know the schedule got easier, but didn't look like we missed patterson at all, especially considering we didn't even have a proper lineup starting dmo, then smith, then tjones getting burn all of a sudden. this is even considering our bad close to the season, and harden's struggles the last two months as well.

garcia also had more impact than patterson ever woulda had in that post-season. yes ppatt has a unique skill set that ideally fits, but it hasn't really translated in terms of impact.

this isn't even mentioning
    pre all-star break rebounding: +1.3
    post all-star break rebounding: +2.6

plus...we made 11.3 threes post as break to 10.2 pre all-star break.

so we played better d, we were better on the boards. we made more 3's, and didn't even lose much at all offensively with ppatt gone despite having no one to replace him, and harden having his struggles to end the year.

btw, patterson played in only 47 of the 57 games before the all-star break (where he was traded after)..and in those 47 games, we were 23-24, an UNDER .500 record with patterson in the lineup.

was he better than trob???? probably, but we didn't miss much a beat (heck, looks like we improved), and if it's true we are getting value for him in a first round stash sort prospect, then its all moot because patterson wouldn't have fetched anymore. and again, imma say that garcia had more impact in that thunder series than patterson woulda had.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think people loved PPat from his rookie season. He was stuffin everything and then he got injured and was a no show in his 2nd year and decent in his 3rd

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wow, CH, I was ready to drop this, but seeing as you can't leave well enough alone....the guy said it was too early to call him a bust; which you have said repeatedly. As far as I'm concerned, this entire thread undercuts wht you've been saying for months.

No one was saying he's gonna be a star. However, people were saying tht it was too early to call him a bust. Seems like yor thread validates that point.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Udonis haslem

7. basketballholic

Personally, I don't see stardom in the cards for any player in the top 10 of the 2012 draft except for Anthony Davis.

8. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Since when is Haslem one of the best corner 3 shooting big men in the league?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

A lot of "evidence" backing it up? Pelton's argument was basically that this year was a disaster due to his on-court play and inability to crack our rotation.

Fine.

He's 22-years-old. Maybe, just maybe, Year 2 will be a different story.

10. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

PPat was a pawn and Morey is Bobby Fischer

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems to me nobody will really know until he gets some playing time. Huge improvements come off the court, but there's nothing like being on it. in limited time I'd say he looks awkward and even small while on the playing floor, and barely worth a roster spot. But limited minutes to get acclimated. Think there is more to learn about him, but not sure he can get that here. But needs a good 20 game run with minutes to see what how he makes the adjustment.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]
    Says hi.

Oh btw he also won ROY.

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I've already traded him on 2K13...

Now he's glued to the bench in Memphis.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Really?

He's a beast in my version. But I'm playing CAL with James Harden.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Well, PPat will be out there next year.

Guys under rookie contracts (or any cheap contract) can have their value exceed their contracts. Trading guys near the end of their rookie contract extends the value of the draft pick.

For instance, the 26th pick of 2007 draft got the Rockets:
    3.5 years Aaron Brooks
    1.5 years Goran Dragic
    4 years (1 year so far) of Motiejunas (Rockets did need a little sweetener to move up 3 spots for him in addition to pick acquired from Magic via Phoenix)

Morey is trying to extend the value of draft picks by not having to pay too much for 1st non-rookie contract for mediocre players.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Objectivity would tell you that the likelihood of success of ANY rookie to perform at a starter much less Superstar level in his first year is nearly impossible.

Add to that the probability of a rookie who makes rookie mistakes getting enough significant playing time on a playoff team like the Rockets in the mix that dont play young players for development purposes (even though they admittingly did try to for a few weeks with D-Mo & T. Rob).

Then sprinkle in the fact that this player was traded from a team that was about to be sold in his first season mid-way due to financial reasoning (if you say its anything else, you are lying).

And you can clearly come to the conclusion that Carl has an unwarranted & unhealthy obsession with trashing Thomas Robinson & that's the sole purpose of this troll thread.

No, Thomas Robinson is probably not going to be a star player in this league. However its way too early to tell if he's going to be trash. If the salary cap was 4 million dollars higher than it is this upcoming season, and the Maloofs weren't more concerned with reality TV and spending their wad in Vegas, Thomas Robinson would still be considered a major building block for the Kings.

I dont know how people can OBJECTIVELY have a discussion about why Thomas Robinson is going to be traded for the second time in year and NOT talk about the financial situation that he has become victim to.

As far as the basketball side goes- Kenyon Martin, Corliss Williamson, Dale Davis, Ben Wallace.... these are all players that had similar rookie seasons, have similar skill sets, and similar body types to that of Thomas Robinson. All of them ended up doing pretty damn well in the NBA.

In all reality more than a few of these players actually have way less talent on the offensive end, but if we want to be OBJECTIVE, we will just stick to statistics & production.

Despite the narrative that Carl tries to write about Robinson time, and time again, Robinson does have positives going for him to have a future in the NBA. Stardom.... maybe not, but if you are truly OBJECTIVE and not BIAS, there are a ton of positive attributes Robinson has that could lead to a very nice NBA career.

Carl, I think you add alot of positives to the board, and used to really enjoy your posts, but this your obsession with the demise of a rookie prospect is way out of hand.

17. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

He's a beast in mine too. Whenever I play the Rockets in my player, he gets every putback and dunks on everybody.. He also has a 15 ft. jumpshot.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Define stardom. I suspect that multiple people among top 10 will make at least 1 all star game.

19. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I think TRob could become an elite perimeter defender very soon. His reach and ability to move his feet were outstanding in limited minutes. He is already a good rebounder. He also seems fairly durable or at least not frail. Admittedly he is horrid in everything else, from shooting to post play to free throws, but a number of those deficiencies can be improved. He could be a very valuable piece IF he is willing to work hard to improve his game.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I was excited to get him but he looked and played very small to me when on the court. Almost looked more like a wing player than a big, and that's a problem when you don't have wing player skills.