1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs, Mavs discussing Shawn Marion trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/06/21/mock-draft-6-0-cavs-love-len-and-can-get-shawn-marion/

2. Chamillionaire

I think Len's a decent choice there, especially with them already set at PG and SG. I'd trade down a few spots and get another "asset" and pick Len then.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Would be a really nice good by the cavs, marion is still a big contributor and they would get a better pick.

Irving
    Waiters/Miles
    Marion/Gee
    Thompson/Zeller
    Varejao/Len

is nice, but what would this mean with the mavs and cap space for dwight and paul?

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Opens up enough cap space for both Dwight & CP3?

CP3
    Vince
    Crowder
    Dirk
    Dwight
    + vet min guys

So the Lin contract, now unmovable, has turned into another Batum type deal? Smart and creative at the time but comes back to bite them in the long run?

5. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Not at all.

CP3 isn't leaving the Clippers, and because of this, Dwight's only real options are Lakers and Rockets.

I wouldn't worry about it. We got 2 young stars. The Mavericks have 0.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lins contract isn't unmovable.

8. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

so i guess the last year of marions deal is a player option? if anything this increases CP3 and D12's leverage to force a sign and trade in order to play for the clips. idk i just have a hard time believing that CP3 and Dwight would go to dallas but hey crazier things have happened.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Especially if you tossed in a future pick, but that wouldn't be necessary.

10. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Really? Who other than Lin is an actual star on our team?

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Dirk alone prevents the Mavs from tossing max cap room at Paul and Dwight, much less Vince and Crowder. Dallas is not a major threat.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really like Len from the scouting videos!

13. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Parsons is getting there, I should say.

14. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Oh, and Lin?! WTF?!! Lol

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Mav's guaranteed money for next season:

Dirk, Carter, Cunningham, & Crowder = $27,898,653

That's about 30M of cap room.

The Miami big 3 all took 2M less in the first year of their contracts to make that team up possible. If CP3 & Dwight follow suit it'd be 14M + 18M = 32M.

Cuban's also mentioned restructuring Dirk's contract to free up more cap room. Shaq had the last yr of his deal restructured. So it could be possible in the new CBA.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think we'd get a future pick for Lin if we trade him. Lin's a good young player on a solid contract, people are insane thinking he's unmovable.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Cuban has discussed, and Dirk as well, about taking less money after this next season on his next contract.... not about restructuring. I have yet to hear about that yet. In the NBA restructuring a contract is very difficult, and rarely seen.

The Mavs will have about 30 million if this trade goes down, they take back zero salary in return, and trade their lottery pick before free agency to clear up the cap hold for that pick.

CP3 and Dwight Howard combined run a little over 38 million in year one.

I dont think this is even worth discussing anymore. The Mavs will not be able to sign both CP3 and Dwight. Its probably even more unlikely than the Rockets signing both players.

Dirk & Cuban's pitch is essentially going to be, sign in Dallas, and after next year we will have enough cap space to go after another star player after my contract is up, and I come back for less money.

If I was a star player, I would probably not be sold at all about risking a year with another star player who is on his last leg at the end of his career, and hoping that another star player comes in 2014.

If that's the sales pitch Dwight Howard at the very least has a much better situation on LA where has at least have 30 million more reasons(12-13 after taxes in year 5), Dwight gets to play with THREE stars on their last leg of their NBA careers instead of just one, and their is still the possibility of cap space to sign another star player in 2014.

IMO LA is a better option than Dallas. Houston is a better option than those because the team has another young superstar, 3 other very good upcoming young talents, no state taxes, Hakeem legacy, Asian market share, etc. etc.... yeah.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You're missing the further $3m in cap holds so they have about $27.5m in space, to put that in comparison, all we'd need to do is after Robinson, give away Lin (or Asik) and we have more room..

You have CP3 giving up 4.5 and Dwight 2.5 and you're still 4.5m short, if the only player they have on their roster is Dirk, they're at about $31.3m space, so the 2 players in question need to give up $8m between them to have a roster of them and Dirk, lol to that.

Contracts can't be restructured downwards.

19. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Pelicans might be in the mix for Marion + 13 as well:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>REPORT don't be surprised if Pelicans acquire 13th pk from Mavs, select Giannis Adetokunbo. NOLA also gets Shawn Marion, send Mavs future pk</p>&mdash; Fletcher Mackel (@FletcherMackel) <a href="https://twitter.com/FletcherMackel/statuses/348276244208566272">June 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn there goes adetokunbo for us if this happens