1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight and CP3 hope to team up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancerthompson, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I think the hardest part would be getting Paul and Howard to agree to come here. If they DO agree Morey can move Lin, Robinson and Lin to get close to the money they would require.

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

What is the LLE? And in this case, they would have already renounced the MLE, though they would still have their Room MLE at $2.6M.

Yes, they can get on ATL w/ a pretty depleted bench if they are willing to take strong paycuts. But if they are willing to take paycuts like that, we might as well quickly move Lin and Asik and have them come here, where we would have a MUCH better bench (not to mention a more desirable location/FO).

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So Dwight is going to take a $3.5 million paycut each year? Right off the top, that's $14 million lower than what Houston can offer in guaranteed money, $44 million less than LA. And Georgia, unlike Texas, has a state income tax, so you can essentially increase that $14 million figure to at least $20 million.

All that for the Atlanta Hawks? For a historically mediocre franchise with an unproven GM, unproven coach, nothing outside the "Big 3", poor fan support and an owner that hasn't shown a willingness to spend to luxury tax levels? I'm not buying it.

The team in Houston is arguably as good or better than that Atlanta team already, and it offers significantly more money, a known quantity for a coach and proven management/ownership.

4. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

Howard >> Bosh
    Cp3 > Wade (especially wade from this year)
    Harden <<< James

Even though LBJ is significantly better than Harden, with role players like Parsons we instantly become the favorites. (in my opinion)

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

they'll win some games but having cp3, dwight and hortford just doesn't sound appealing. having 2 redundant big players is just like cp3 in lac now but with a worst bench and role players.

IMO a big 3 of cp3, harden, and dwight just sounds like a better mix

6. jocar

jocar Member

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=160675

http://hawksquawk.net/community/top...d-d12-trying-to-team-up-via-multiple-sources/

7. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

The Pelton article is really just picking teams that both Howard and CP3 can play on and not taking into consideration what would be left of the team once both players were signed. Just Howard and Paul doesn't make a contender, Houston at least has Harden and some good role players that would be a legitimate title team.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Do both TJones and DMO need to be moved, if we can dump White's salary with Asik's contract? Then we could possibly dump Greg Smith instead.

9. jocar

jocar Member

larsv8 ending his life : 13.8% and rising each post

10. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

They would flip Lin to Utah, or Charlotte, or some other team without a point guard. Asik is valuable - no way a team doesn't want him. The other pieces have value (TJones, TRob, DMO) or will help LA create a large trade exception. Believe me, Asik and some trade exception room is better than nothing for the Lakers.

11. Gay4Battier

Gay4Battier Member

stop being so dumb

cp3 and howard are not coming here

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I don't see it happening. To many things would have to happen. It's hard to get all 3 parties (4 if they do a S&T) on the same page...

I was worried they'd team up in ATL or Dal till I read "Paul wants to return to the clippers"

I'm still putting my money on CP staying and DH coming to Houston

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The same reason why Ginobili rarely started next to Parker: their games are incompatible and they hate each other.

14. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Nah, just Lin. Asik will be easy to move.

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

We'd just save an extra $550k, so probably not.

16. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

They would keep Asik. TRob they could decide not to pick up the option for 2014 (or if he develops, he'll be worth his money) or they could trade him to another team for capspace. Lin could be traded to Utah, Charlotte, etc. for a player with an expiring contract. With the right third team they could end up with Asik + a team exception of decent size that doesn't jeopardize 2014 cap space.

17. ejarts

ejarts Member

You guys underestimate Morey for finding cheap good role players. Plus even if we're full on contracts with Harden, CP3, and Howard, good players will take pay cuts to win a ring. Just like Miami has freaking starter bench players.

Altho I think CP3 is great, but not a Champ level. Historically, you don't need a superstar PG. Either a great Center or SG wins championships. Rockets just need a Chauncey Billups type leader. Lin has Parker/Nash potential but as of now, he's too freaking nice. Thank his Jesusfreak way of life. If someone teaches him arrogance and balls, he could be Linsanity nightly. His talent is obviously there, he just lacks confidence for now.

We really don't need CP3. Lin and Beverly can handle it. Id rather Rockets get Howard, and a couple of almost-allstar or great role players.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    D. West or Millsap
    Howard

Bench:
    Beverly
    Brewer or T.Allen
    Delfino(or any shooter)
    T.Jones
    DMo
    Asik

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

LA is not going to trade Dwight to get moderately better. They are just going to tell him goodbye.

Getting Asik does nothing good for them...or Lin

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I'd say of all the possibilities this summer, there is about a 50% shot :(

20. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

My question was geared toward being able to sign paul and howard outright instead of having to take the $200k paycuts you mentioned. I think you had assumed we would stretch White. Instead of stretching White, if we moved him for cap space, could we get to the point of keeping one of DMO or TJones by trading Smith for cap space (given that we'd be getting full cap space for White)?