1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] If we have to trade one of these players to get Dwight, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jun 13, 2013.

?

[Hypothetical] If we have to trade one of these players to get Dwight, who would it be?

1. James Harden =P

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Terrence Jones

14 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Donatas Motiejunas

32 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. Jeremy Lin

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  5. Omer Asik

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  6. Chandler Parsons

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Don't get Dwight because he's not worth it

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Before I begin, let me stress that this is discussion is hypothetical despite being based on real events, and I stress the hypothetical nature for four reasons:

1. The salary cap hasn't been set in stone yet, even though reports (see below) have already come out that it's $58.5 million, there's still a chance that the NBA can change their mind.
    2. Larry Coon is only human even though he's a CBA guru, maybe his calculations (see below) are wrong? Doubt it though.
    3. There's a chance Dwight might give us a small discount if we're lucky.
    4. For the sake of discussion.
    --LINK

--LINK

Now, as you can see, Royce White isn't an option in the poll and I did that for two reasons:
    1. Everyone would vote for him so that would make this whole discussion pretty boring
    2. With all the drama that could lead to a lawsuit, and considering how bad he was in the D-League, GM's will hang up the phone soon as they hear his name.

I also didn't include Patrick Beverley because he makes less than the amount we need to get rid of. So, assuming Dwight doesn't give a discount, if we need to get rid of another $900,000.

Who should we trade and why?

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Realistically, I think what would happen is we trade no one else. Instead, we would waive and stretch White, saving around $700,000 (after factoring in the roster charge). But in the spirit of your hypothetical, we will assume Howard would not even agree to a ~$200k paycut (I doubt it but...).

Then I guess we would have no choice but to move one of our young PFs; probably TJones. Don't waive White, move TJones for a 2nd round pick in next year's draft. QQ at the sad loss just because Dwight was a dick...

3. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

It should definitely be one of our rookie scale contracts. Terrence Jones could be moved if worse comes to worst because I think he has less potential than D-Mo just based on body size.

Hate to lose anyone

4. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

My mistake, I've only started learning about the CBA recently. This is the first I've heard about the stretch provision. So after reading up about it this is my understanding of how it will work (correct me if I'm wrong):

Royce White has one more year on his contract where he makes 1.7m, and with the stretch provision we spread that out over 3 years cutting it down to only only around 566,000... but there's a roster charge on top of that? What's the roster charge?

5. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Roster charge = minimum cap hold = $490, 120

A team with no players must have a cap hold for 12 roster spots.
    12x490,120

If we send players out, that spot must have a cap hold.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Hey look, another Dwight hypothetical thread.

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Waive and stretch Royce White will get us close enough.

There's also G.Smith at about 900k but we'll probably keep him.

8. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Right. Fair Dinkum answered it right after your post. They are approximately $490k per spot to get us to our 12 player minimum.

I have also seen conflicting posts that come up w/ that same cap space, but some include waiving GSmith to get that space, and others do NOT include GSmith. I thought the cap space was prior to waiving GSmith, meaning we could just waive and stretch White and then not pick up GSmith's contract if we wanted to sign Dwight to his max (w/ no discount, though I thought the math worked out to him taking like a $60k cut). If so, I imagine we might do that if we cannot convince Dwight to take $200-300k off his first year salary.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

didn't even read the others, just looked for lin

10. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Ah, no wonder my math was so off when I tried doing the calculations myself.

11. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

wtf is this Waving and Stretching?

#nohomo Roy Hibbert

12. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Wow Lin isn't as popular as I thought. I'm also surprised so many people are voting for Donatas Motiejunas, I would think he's the prototypical player you want want in a front court with Dwight.

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

14. jocar

jocar Member

Jones. DMo has more upside/skills

15. rocketfaithful

Trade proposal

Houston sends out: Thomas Robinson, Jeremy Lin (total salary of $11,901,086)

Pelicans send out: 6th pick in the draft(cap hold of $2,643,600)

the pelicans possess a ton of cap space however know they will not have the power to get big time free agents. this way they get two developing players, both are at positions that the rockets have a ton of talent. the pelicans could easily absorb the extra 9 million dollars and we would be cap problem free. And who to pick with the 6th pick? they call him trey. I'm super high on the kid simply because I think he possesses what I call the it factor. he is a winner. now he might need some time to develop but he could be the next great point guard. I would also keep brooks with the extra room and let all three guards battle it out for the top spot

16. rocketsrule1995

trade dmo jones is athletic defender dmo can become more but i dont see that happening