1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How am I doing as Houston's general manager?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by maj0915, Jun 8, 2013.

1. maj0915

maj0915 New Member

Hey everyone, first time poster here hoping to receive some feedback on my moves as Houston's general manager in a fantasy offseason in which each team is managed by a different person; I'm a Celtics fan, but I ended up with Houston, so I've been trying my best. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Declined options on PG Aaron Brooks, SG Carlos Delfino, SF Francisco Garcia, and C Tim Ohlbrecht.

2. Traded PF Thomas Robinson the the 76ers for their second-round pick and a lottery-protected future first-round pick.

3. Drafted Duke C Mason Plumlee and Barcelona Regal SG Alex Abrines in the second round of the 2013 NBA Draft.

4. Signed PF Paul Millsap to a four-year, $32 million contract.

Free agency is still ongoing, so I still have some time to sign additional players; how am I doing so far?

2. ipa

ipa Member

You no morey!

3. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Waive all non-guaranteed contracts except Parsons, Beverley and G.Smith.

Trade Robinson, White and 2.1m cash to 76s for future first round.

Sign Dwight Howard outright.

Trade Lin and Asik to Clippers for Chris Paul.

:grin:

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No trade for Lebron?

FAIL

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I hate these kinds of threads, but ill have you know that you've done poorly

1 person likes this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

We should sign Al Jefferson to a 48 million dollar 4 yr contract :)

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We're being invaded by stupid

8. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

Tuuuuuurible just tuuuuuurible your on your way on creating a mediocre 8th seed team congrats !

9. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

damn yall some haters. never heard of this fantasy offseason thing, sounds pretty cool.

and he obviously has done his homework by declining those options and getting a pretty good return on the t-rob trade.

what im not a huge fan of was the draft picks; just personally not a big plumlee fan, and while i think abrines is actually a very interesting young swingman prospect, i wouldnt draft him with our early 2nd round pick. mid-second round area for sure, because hes shown some real potential int he acb league.

meh on millsap only because it means we failed with dwight. overall not bad at all, id say b-

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Why get rid of Garcia and Robinson when you'd spend a 1/3 of the savings

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You are doing a terrible job so far!

12. CertifiedTroll

Good luck trading TRob for a future first. No one wants him. TRob should try to go play football

13. maj0915

maj0915 New Member

Originally I declined the options on Brooks, Delfino, Garcia, and Ohlbrecht to make a run at Dwight Howard, but he ended up re-signing with Los Angeles, so I added Millsap instead. In the draft, I was in a bit of a difficult situation because the two players I was hoping to draft, Kelly Olynyk and C.J. Leslie, were picked at the beginning of the second round. The only other prospects I considered with 34 and 35 were Glen Rice Jr. and Mike Muscala, but I don't think Muscala is athletic enough to be very successful in the NBA, while Rice Jr. would have been nice but may have had some difficulty making the roster post-FA. I like Abrines because he has that buyout in his contract, meaning he could stay in Spain for a year and free up a roster spot.

By the way, Jose Calderon agreed to sign last night to a one-year, $6 million contract. I think he has an intriguing skillset; last season, he shot .491/.461/.900, with 11.3 points and 7.1 assists per game. At 31, he's a little bit old, but he also shot much better from the field than Lin (.441/.339/.785) while protecting the ball much better as well (1.7 turnovers per game vs. 2.9 for Lin.) After Calderon's one-year deal expires, we could re-evaluate the situation and potentially trade Lin's expiring contract.

Currently, I'm investigating some reserve wing options with the remainder of the money, with an emphasis placed on long-term cap flexibility. I've made some smaller offers to Delfino and Francisco Garcia, and was considering using the two-year mid-level exception on Earl Clark, which would basically complete my roster. Assuming I am able to land all of those guys, my final roster would look something like this:

PG: Jeremy Lin - Jose Calderon - Patrick Beverley

SG: James Harden - Carlos Delfino - James Anderson

SF: Chandler Parsons - Earl Clark - Francisco Garcia

PF: Paul Millsap - Terrence Jones - Donatas Motiejunas

C: Omer Asik - Greg Smith - Mason Plumlee

NBADL: SF Royce White

Europe: SG Alex Abrines

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Jose cant defend an orange traffic cone. We'd be the Atlanta Hawks of recent years.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I'm enjoying this thread and all the assholes in it. Continue.

16. Swag

Swag Member

no dwight = bust

17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

even if the ROXS are going all south Florida on us this summer I hope they still have the NBA summer league on line deal to watch em.

Any news on that ? That was a fun 5 bucks when I had dreams of White being Right !

18. maj0915

maj0915 New Member

I would have liked to sign him, but aside from clearing up enough space and offering him a max contract, it's not like there was anything more I could have done to lure him here.

19. rocketblood713

whats going on ?

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Do you have a David Stern in your fantasy league blocking all transactions that would benefit you too?