1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worrell's priceless commentary of Olajuwon destroying Robinson!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jun 9, 2013.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

[youtube]hW4uXlRGAF0[/youtube]

[youtube]0GCyU0sKxqI[/youtube]

#1 play at 2.30: "Olajuwon has David Robinson just bamboozled"

The very famous line of Worrell describing the moves of Dream on the Admiral to me, makes this sequence even more special than it actually was. The excitement from Worrell's voice and the whole atmosphere of that mvp game 2 was just phenomenal. Unfortunately, the national coverage leaves an underwhelming impression of not just this move but the whole game.

Now I am wondering if this line was actually from the My20 feed of the game, because it's not in synch with what is happening. The clip and commentary do not match and Olajuwon probably has done some crazy moves in earlier match ups with the Admiral, so is it really from that series / that sequence in game 2 to be exact?

I am asking this because usually conference finals games are not locally broadcasted - except for radio -, not back then and especially not now. There are local broadcasts of the 1994 and 1995 semi-finals of the Rockets that I know and own some of myself, but that's where it ends. However, I have come across Houstonians on the net who claimed to have My20 broadcast of Game 2 of the 1995 WCF.

I was hoping some of you fans remember: A) There was indeed local TV coverage of that game? B) that line was of that series / game / sequence. This at least would provide me with enough incentive to keep looking for the full game on My20 among one of those very few people who have that game still on tape somewhere. It's just so sad that Doug Collins and some other smuck called that game who didn't appreciate those moves. Worrell gave it the credit it deserves and was exuberant as always, which makes it legen - wait for it - dary!

For people who think I'm exaggerating, here's the move with national commentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc02Z4-0wDM

2. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Thanks for this. I have now spent a full hour watching Hakeem highlights at work.

God how I miss him! It takes me back to the days when I couldn't wait for the next Rockets game to come on just to see what he'd do next.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It sounded in sync to me. It sounded like Worrell's first reaction was just to sort of gasp and ooh and aah at the play. Then he said the bamboozled line for the replay.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dadgum, that man was a highlight reel! Gotta love the 3 in '95, eh Clyde?!!

5. ThaShark316_28

Rockets were on KTXH for games 1 and 2 of the WCF. In 94, the only game on KTXH was Game 3. (Games 1 and 2 were on PPV; Game 4 was on a Sunday, so NBC picked it up)

6. ThaShark316_28

Can't edit, so basically:

1994 WCF vs. Jazz:

Game 3 - KTXH Channel 20

1995 WCF vs. Spurs:

Games 1 and 2 - KTXH Channel 20

7. skyline07

skyline07 Member

I could not imagine anyone else commentating for the Rockets.... when the time comes for Worrell to step down, I hope Craig Ackerman takes his place.

8. ThaShark316_28

Same. He would be perfect for TV.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Wow, cool :D thanks for the confirmation! Any chance you have it or anybody else on this board has it or knows someone who might have it??

10. ThaShark316_28

I know a guy that collects old games, but I doubt he has the Rockets broadcasts.

Him being a Spurs fan kind of hurts that possibility.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Any chance you can get me into contact with him? He might have other interesting games as well ;)

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I hope he's replaced by the rhyming radio guy who does halftime and post game highlights. Imagine a whole game commentated in rhyme!

But seriously, I think that would still be better than Clyde.

13. StevieCrossover

It was sad to see him retire in a toronto uniform

14. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Your answer- PAY PER VIEW, yes Worrell did say that, and yes Dream did do all of that. Back then it was up until like mid WCF, or Finals it was then broadcast everywhere. Pay per view died the year after we got beat by the "Stockton Shot", in fact that may have been the first WCF that we didn't have to "Pay per view" for home games.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ahh. The days of PPV playoff games. I actually think only the home playoff games were at home. I think, from what I recall, the early part of the conference finals were picked up by local teams until the middle of the conference finals, I think around game four.

16. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

The game was on TNT, but there were lots of "blackout rules." Pay Per View owned the TV world for a bit, and playoff games meant paying to watch the Rockets, or going to the playoffs. Forgot the exact Blackout rules, but yes that game was done by TNT, and by Bill.

17. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Yup you're right I was trying to remember just exactly how it worked. Home had to pay, and road sometimes. It was an odd time, but my parents always had us PPV! What memories! PPV lol

18. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Kam I think it was game 4 or 5 you're right because I remember 94 and 95 finally getting to not PPV, and oh what times those were, until OJ jumped on our TV.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I bought game 3. My only playoff game I bought. Rockets lost that game :-(.
    Can't remember is game 4 was playoffs or NBC.

Game six was a midweek game I believe and I remember Greg Gumbel calling it, despite it being a home game.

20. prs325

prs325 Member

Oh how we miss channel 20