1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone here into golf?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

yeah

i love gold

i usually score around 97 or so

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

There's a reason there are 18 holes and 18 shots in a 750 of scotch.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I see. :grin:

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I would look around in your area at all the public golf courses. Many courses have a range club that allows you to hit all the balls you want for a fairly low monthly rate. Sometimes courses offer free or low cost clinics that are a good deal. A few lessons can really help. Golf instruction books or videos can also be helpful.

The first time you play on a real course, it would be to your advantage to play with someone that has at least some experience to maybe give you a few tips on proper course etiquette. It's not that complicated, but there are a few do's and don'ts when playing Golf.

Most courses have a reduced twilight fee late in the day. If you wanted to play when it isn't crowded, you could tee off late in the day, a couple of hours before sunset and play nine holes. A par three course is also a good place to go when you are first learning to play. When I was a boy I learned to play on a par three course before I played a regular course. You can have a lot of fun at the par three courses.

Golf is a lot of fun. You can't really appreciate what the Pros do on TV until you try to do it yourself.

5. RedRedemption

Yeah, I know what you mean. 12 foot putts that the pros make look so easy I can't even hit consistently. Then there are like the 20+ foot putts that pros sink that I can't even get close.

Golf is a very difficult sport.

6. le081488

le081488 Member

I'm beginning to get into golf and was just wondering on a couple of cheap sets just until I knew what I was looking for. I'm also open to suggestions if anyone has any.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I just started golfing a couple months ago. Been going with a buddy who's a member at Kingwood a bunch, as well as a few public courses (Bear Creek only one I've been to more than once). Shooting typically in the high 90's, managed to get a 92 on the Presidents course at Bear Creek the other day.

Only have had 1 birdie though, really hoping for more. Been close a couple times, but always seem to have 1 (or more) bad shots on a hole, or having to 3 putt a 12' putt. Got the birdie on my maybe 5th round. Played a dozen rounds since then and still no more. But to give myself credit, the number of pars and bogies are increasing a bunch while the number of double and tripple bogies are decreasing.

Just sold my K15 driver (for $30 more than I paid for it) and bought the G20. Came in the mail today, so haven't been able to take it out yet. Currently using the iron/hybrid set of Callaway HL.

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Check out ebay. I like the seller 3ballsgolf. They have something like a 400k rating. Got an iron set for $300 that is sold in the stores for $600. Description was 'like new' but they were all still in their shrink wrap, so they were unused. I've bought a few clubs from them since then.

Also, find some AA or AAA rated balls on ebay. I was spending like $15/round on balls I lost. Bought some slightly used ones, but still very playable. Now when I lose a ball, I dont really care since they're like $0.30/ball compared to $1+.

10. Classic

Classic Member

Golf is great. I wish I could play a little more often. I play in a couple tournaments a year and have buddies that ask me to go. Only playing 5 to 8 times a year though isn't enough to get any better. The driving range won't prepare you for a real course but good way to start for sure.

Make it out to the Shell tournament course at Redstone when you can for the Open if you haven't been. It's cool watching the pros and then playing the course itself. I actually pared the 18th from the blacks last time I played. Pretty cool feeling.

11. le081488

le081488 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. For now, if I were to try to piece together a set, would it be best to go for a Driver, Hybrids, some midirons, and a putter?

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'm no expert, but here's my suggestion. Go for a driver and/or a 3 wood. My friend hits his 3 wood much more consistantly than his driver, and only loses 10 or so yards, so he rarely uses the driver off the tee.
    Hybrids are suppose to be easier to hit, but it has taken me quite a while to hit them with any consistancy. So while you can get them, I don't think they're a must at the beginning.
    Yeah, get some irons, 5-9 for sure, 3 and 4 if you dont get a hybrid or a high loft fairway wood.
    Get a wedge or two. I have a PW, but I rarely use it. I use my 56* cleveland 588 and love it. I find I use that club more than any other.
    And yeah, get a putter.
    Just find everything on ebay. Go used. If you keep playing, upgrade. Not worth getting new stuff right away.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Guys remember I'm the Callaway Tech Rep, former assistant pro and have worked around Houston golf for 20 years. If you have any specific questions just send them to me.

(yes, a $200 box set is fine for most people just starting out, a whole new top-of-the -line golf rig, bag, irons woods etc, runs about $2500)

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm up early this AM, going to tee off for the first time in a few months. Its Going to be a nice day.

15. VanityHalfBlack

I like to play golf, but watching it on tv is like watching flies have sex. Unless it's a hot bimbo chick swinging the club.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/165Vym9ueCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Got a question -
    I just bought a G20 driver, regular shaft. I'm 5'8 and felt like my last driver (K15) was a little long for me, but I really am not sure. I know getting the right fitting clubs is as important, or even more important, as the quality. So, I'm thinking about getting a new shaft and grip and getting it fitted.
    Where should I go to get this done? Golf Galaxy, Golf Smith, etc?
    Will they determine what stiffness I need, as well as the length?

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Drivers have gotten longer over the last few years because longer shafts generate more swing speed. It used to be that less than 44" was standard but now most are 45 1/2 or 46 ". I worried when they started making them longer that average golfers wouldn't be able to get them around to square, but that hasn't been the case. The difference is the heads are lighter so that the swing weights (balance points) are still about the same. Drivers don't have score lines or impart a lot of backspin so there is not really a lie angle effect for them like the is for irons.

What this means is your driver probably isn't too long for you. It can be easier to swing a shorter driver back to square though and hitting the ball squarely is more effective than getting more swing speed. The truth is most Tour Pros use shorter shafts than amateurs, but they still swing over 110 mph.

You could remove the grip and cut up to an inch off the butt of the shaft to shorten your driver. Much more than an inch though effects the stiffness of the shaft making it feel more harsh. If you custom order a club with a shorter shaft, the manufacturer will trim the tip and the butt to maintain the same flex.

Reshafting old clubs is probably not worth the expense. Cheap shafts are $50 plus probably $50 labor. (exotic pro shafts can run $250)

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thanks for the advise. I'd rep you, but I have to spread more around appearntly. I'll just keep what I got for now and save my money.

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'm into disc golf, does that count?

For one thing, it's a lot cheaper!

(On paper anyway... i spend way too much trying out new discs)

20. RedRedemption

I play ultimate frisbee sometimes. Never played disc golf.
    I think I'll stick with regular golf. I feel like a badass when I connect with the driver. :cool: