1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The amount of cap room teams will actually have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BarreKellyJr, Jun 8, 2013.

1. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

Committed salary for 2013/14: $54,951,158 (view full forecast)

Projected cap space: $16,181,453

Houston don't have as much cap space as you might expect, considering their high profile (and seemingly eternal) campaign for a superstar free agent. Nevertheless, their committed salary could drop down as low as $39,665,022 without making any trades. Francisco Garcia has a team option for $6.4 million that is not going to be exercised, and the Rockets also have a good many unguaranteed contracts, listed hereafter:

Carlos Delfino ($3,000,000, fully unguaranteed if waived on or before June 30th)
    Aaron Brooks ($2,508,000, fully unguaranteed if waived on or before June 30th)
    Chandler Parsons ($926,500, only $600,000 guaranteed if waived on or before June 30th)
    Greg Smith ($884,293, fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date)
    James Anderson ($916,099, fully unguaranteed if waived on or before October 31st)
    Patrick Beverley ($788,872, fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date)
    Tim Ohlbrect ($788,872, fully unguaranteed with no guarantee date)

In theory, if Houston waived all of those players except Parsons (whose salary is actually cheaper when left unwaived than the $600,000 amount would be with a roster charge added), and declined Garcia's team option, that's a cap number of $41,625,742 with four roster charges added. In practice, though, they won't all be waived. Delfino and Brooks surely will, and Ohlbrecht likely will - however, Patrick Beverley and Greg Smith are really very good NBA players tied in to ridiculously cheap contracts. Even when assuming Anderson gets waived, the renouncement of Garcia (who, strangely, is their only free agent) and the incumbent cap hold for Earl Boykins ($884,293), that leaves Houston here:

James Harden: $13,668,750 (at the moment; as a designated maximum salary contract, it is to be adjusted when new max salaries are known post-moratorium)
    Omer Asik: $8,374,646
    Jeremy Lin: $8,374,646
    Thomas Robinson: $3,526,440
    Royce White: $1,719,480
    Terrence Jones: $1,551,840
    Donatas Motiejunas: $1,422,720
    Chandler Parsons: $926,500
    Greg Smith: $884,293
    Patrick Beverley: $788,872
    Tyler Honeycutt: $100,000 (waived)
    Roster charge: $490,180
    Roster charge: $490,180

Total = $42,318,547 = $16,181,453 in cap room.

It's not enough for a maximum contract for neither Dwight nor Chris Paul. It is close enough, however, to put them in play. And there's plenty of options here. If you were the Lakers, and Dwight wanted to walk to the Rockets (which may happen), why WOULDN'T you take back Thomas Robinson and Omer Asik in a sign-and-trade? And if you were the Rockets, why WOULDN'T you do that deal when doing so would offer up an extra $12 million to throw at someone else? Or do it the other way around - fill up the cap space with straight free agent signings, then sign and trade for the other guy. There are options here, many options, and the ultimate tinker Daryl Morey will know that. Houston's not got the Detroit-level swathes of cap room the prevailing story would have you believe, but they have enough, and they have the means to make things happen. So they're big players in the market.

http://www.shamsports.com/2013/06/t...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

We won't trade Asik if we get Dwight. The only way Asik is leaving is if Morey packages him with Lin for a CP3 SnT

3. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Or Asik will be sent to Atlanta with a PF for Josh Smith

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope not.

5. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I hope so.

Lin/Harden/Parsons/JSmith/Howard > Lin/Harden/Parsons/Howard/Asik imo.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

CP3/Harden/Parsons/anyone/Howard >>>>>> Lin/Harden/Parsons/JSmith/Howard

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

How can u do such:
    Lin/Harden/Parsons/JSmith/Howard ?
    Maybe u don't understand NBA salary cap

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Um?

That's how.

9. pnr

pnr Member

Wash. CP3 and Harden would take away some strengths from each other--diminishing returns.

10. pwnyxpress

...maybe you don't understand cba rules, or actually read threads you post in. As we would not be in tax paying territory even after clearing room and signing Dwight, we can do a trade (or SnT in this case) of up to 150% of the salary we're sending out. Asik's $8.3M means we can take back Josh Smith at about $12.5M. If he wants more, we might have to send a PF out w/ Asik to get closer to $15M.

11. pwnyxpress

Wait, was that somehow the other option? lol

I hope you understand that under the upcoming salary cap ($58.5M), getting both CP3 and D12 will be REALLY hard to do, assuming they don't take large paycuts. It is doable, but we won't have much of a bench. More importantly, unlike w/ ATL SnT'ing Josh Smith to us for Asik (who they like) after we sign Dwight (so ATL can't get Dwight), we have NO leverage w/ LAC once we sign Dwight. Why in the world would LAC agree to SnT CP3 to us? (virtually the only way we can make room for CP3, realistically). They know CP3 won't leave them if Dwight's already tied up elsewhere. And a package surrounding Lin and Asik is a pretty crappy deal for LAC who already have Bledsoe and DJordan.

12. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

Hey! you just got called out... are you going to respond?

13. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

hey barrekelly lets play in 2k

14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

i really like the Asik and t rob for Garnett idea we would just have to sign another center like dalembert to back up Howard. i am not familiar with Garnetts contract but i have a feeling he would renegotiate his contract to get a chance to win another championship with his old buddy kevin mchale. Also i really hope morey is able to convince howard to take a three yr 54 mil. contract and not the 4 yr 88 mil reported. IMO paying one player over a third of the cap handcuffs a team too much and keeps them from obtaining the quality players needed to compete.

15. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

How you know I play 2k? lol

16. pwnyxpress

Why would we need Garnett to renegotiate his contract? It will be $12.4M next yr, but TRob + Asik would be sending out $11.8M, perfectly fine. Garnett does have a no trade clause though, so we'll need him to agree to this trade (in addition to Celts being willing).

? The number of yrs of a K does not necessarily affect the first yr cost. Whether Dwight's contract is 3 yrs or 4 yrs, his first yr max would still be $20.5M. Now if you want him to try to take a paycut, Morey can discuss it with him and see if it is possible (probably not)...but you hardly need to change the number of yrs committed, and I don't see a good reason why we would in this case.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Some of you need to pay very close attention to the Atlanta commentary in that link.

At absolute most, they're at $35 million in space, which is well below the near-$40 million needed to give CP3 and Dwight max deals. They also have a state income tax, so it's a triple whammy. No fifth year, no max and the extra tax. And some of you really believe they might take all that for the Atlanta Hawks? Puh-lease.

(And as the article explains, even getting to $35 million is doubtful... it would require trading/selling BOTH of their first-round picks and renouncing everyone, including Smith, Teague and Korver.)

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

how much will jsmith be expecting to be paid by houston then?

19. pwnyxpress

Who knows. He has said he wants max (in the $16M range ish I believe), but then in another interview, said he'd be willing to negotiate to take less. Many people have assumed that he'd agree to say, $15M, though we obviously hope for less if we make a move on him after acquiring Dwight, his irl friend.

CP3 will demand and will get max, $18.6M. That is for darn sure. He might agree to a slight paycut to play with Dwight, but we just don't have the caproom to get both, even with them taking 'reasonable' paycuts of ~$2M each. It'd require a SnT, much like w/ ATL. Big difference is LAC has no reason to SnT CP3 to us AFTER we've used up all our cap to sign Dwight. We've lost our leverage and CP3 would not run to some other team not named LAC in this situation. LAC won't participate in this.

Josh Smith, on the other hand, has clearly shown that he isn't big on returning to ATL. ATL doesn't seem too big on retaining him either. ATL has expressed interest, if rumors are to be believed, in Asik back during the trade deadline. Moving Asik and a young PF (TJones for example) for JSmith in a SnT, where Smith ends up getting nearly $15M is in the realm of possibility. Not saying that is the likely result -- much more likely, if we sign Dwight, we keep Asik, at least to the trade deadline. But such a move could happen without there being lots of Morey magic. If we're really lucky, and ATL strikes out this offseason but wants to make another run next yr, they might even take Asik + White instead :p

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

i want less years on the contract along with both of them taking a small pay cut to maintain future flexibility. we still have to worry about paying parsons which i believe will be in three years. i knew that the money worked in the Garnett deal but we would still need to clear more cap to sign Howard and then use the MLE for Dalembert and Garcia. what i dont know about Garnetts contract is yrs and player/team options. i dont want to be stuck with Garnett i see him more as a rental unless we can renegotiate him to a more Asik type of contract bc the dude is getting old and will need his minutes shortened to maintain his health (i think theres a guy that plays for the spurs that takes games off for being too old)