1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Dwight Howard Reportedly Attracted to Omer Asik as a Front Court Partner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 29, 2013.

1. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Im pretty sure he won't mind if the Rockets traded Asik + filler for Josh Smith.

2. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Cant believe we wanted Nene looool

3. basketballholic

We didn't want Nene. We wanted Nene to flip for Marc Gasol. We were going to sign Nene, then Marc was going to hold out until December and force a sign and trade to Houston for Nene.

4. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Ok I'm in. Since this says "keeping Asik" that is what I'm down with.

Go Baby Rockets !

5. delta69er

delta69er Member

ROFLMAO

6. Fighton

Fighton Member

Haha.. so this.

41 is horrible for a big man. people have this notion that dwight is this awesome offensive post player where in fact he's just not that good of a post player, yet. I think Dwight likes the idea of him being a post player that scores most of his points at the post, like any of the traditional centers before his time.

7. rocketblood713

looks like 3 year old did this LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Omer Asik and Dwight, a match made in heaven.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Uuugghhh Dwight just sign with us already please

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

While I'd prefer having someone who can stretch the floor to pair with either Asik or Howard, Asik is exceptional at finding the open space for easy buckets. It won't be that bad.

Also, their minutes will be staggered to pair them up with one or more of our young power forwards for long stretches. Asik's production per minutes seem to scale proportionately (Bulls and Rockets), so even if we were to reduce his playing time from 30+ minutes to 25+ minutes, he'd still be a value contractually and as a trade bait.

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I seem to recall the Rockets struggling with the lakers size when Gasol/Bynum/Odom were creating a rebound black hole and defensive Great Wall in the playoffs. Yes different skill sets I know but the twin towers can work and there is way too much whining about spacing and other non issues. If you can get Howard without giving up Asik you do it. Asik should only be let go for a major upgrade like a Love, Cousins, LMA, or for cap space for Chris Paul.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Houston's newest bromance

13. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

[​IMG]

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Dwight Howard/ Asik front court? I don't know, man. I don't know how will this will work.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Can Omer and Dwight work together? I dont think so. Neither can shoot five feet away from the basket.

That doesnt mean two 7 footers cant play together. Look at Gasol and Bynum. Those two were absolutely dominant together but neither were great at shooting the midrange jumper.

Bynum never really attempted a shot outside of the paint. Where as Gasol was just "okay" shooting from mid-range.

IMO, the best effective way to get two 7 footers to play well together offensively is to run multiple set plays. None of this spread the floor,Pick n pop, shoot 3s BS.

We need more high post to low post action involving or big men.

For example: bynum and gasol high low <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6KZe8wFuAkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph high low:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T937LCaBIPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  16. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

It would be beautiful defensively but scary offensively

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Hard to tell how this would work, but as others have said...just get him here and we can work through the details later.

Assuming they both play 30 minutes and they aren't off the floor at the same time at any point, they would only play 12 minutes together per game. Both can remain "starters", and both could be used in 4th to secure a game. Obviously, your PFs would have to be "stretch" 4s, otherwise the offense will need a complete makeover....which is convenient, because that's really the only type of PF we have (sans Smith).

If you do this, the pursuit of a 3rd proven star ends. Essentially, you're relying on one of Lin, Beverley, Llull, Parsons, DMo, TRob, TJones to rise to the occasion, which I think is a good risk to take.

18. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I think Asik is still developing as a player. In his first year playing significant minutes the guy posted a double double and showed improvement shooting and increased FT confidence. I think with a strong offseason working an outside shot is all we need. An Asik-Howard front court would be a defensive MENACE. They would gobble all the rebounds around the rim and swat, change shots, and deny easy looks at the bucket. I get that you have two offensively challenged players but as some other posters pointed out, Asik is good at getting put backs/garbage shots and Dwight can get the first go at it, muscling into the basket and hoopking it in. Both guys are still young and athletic and can run with Harden_Lin_Parsons.

I don't think we HAVE to have a stretch-4 starting. I mean Asik-Howard could play 12-15 minutes a game together and then have the rest of the time flexed with a stretch-4 playing with either Asik or Howard the rest.

Could be a dynamic front court duo!!!! I'm all in.

19. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agreed, They can start the game and after that you can go with combos like Howard t rob and Asik Dmo.
    dmo probably turn into a great passer and shooter to pair with both C.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

This is a re-hash of a 2 week old article. Don't see why people are acting like this is news.