1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Howard no lock for Lakers; interested in Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 19, 2013.

1. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

He only has to wait a year AND hope that some superstar joins him LA.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The good news is that every article that comes out makes it tougher for Buss to pull the trigger. It'd be one thing if it happened quickly, but for the Lakers to ultimately fire MDA after weeks/months of publicly insisting he's the coach and saying they don't allow players to run things... it would undermine the entire organization from a leadership and accountability standpoint.

Could they do it? In theory, sure, but I don't see Buss allowing that to be the precedent for his organization. They'd at least want some form of plausible deniability. The only fear I have is MDA "resigning" with some bull**** reason... but I think and hope he has enough pride not to do that.

1 person likes this.
  3. htown1984

htown1984 Member

CyberX

Million dollar Question, that everyone in the board os wanting to know..

If you could give a percent on where Dwight Howard is going what would that be?

Lakers- _ %

Rockets- _ %

Dallas- _ %

Atlanta- _ %

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Lakers can bring in Phil Jackson, Nick Saban, and Jim Harbaugh and they'd still get smoked in the 1st round. That team full of over the hill chumps will get worked by faster teams like Denver, GS, the Clips, and OKC.

They won't contend until they get younger and get a serviceable bench.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That might be true, but all they have to sell Dwight on is the fact that there WILL be help in the very near future. You bring in Phil in some capacity, you sign Dwight, and then you hope like hell another free agent will come along. Phil's allure in LA is probably enough to entice LeBron at least to a sit down when 2014 rolls around. That's all you're telling Dwight. That, coupled with the lifestyle in LA, the Laker legacy, and the extra money is a LOT to walk away from.

6. Fighton

Fighton Member

well hindsight is alway 20/20 but there's no way they've would've known that then. it did work out beautifully but did it work out for lebron in cleveland? my point is that there were supposedly repercussions for that decision that we didn't know about that led them to believe that it shouldn't have been done in the first place even if the result were what they were.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

True. Phil Jackson is no guarantee that you'll have a title contender. His first comeback with the Lakers resulted in 2 consecutive first round exits(granted, they were the underdogs each year) before they were handed Pau Gasol and then proceeded to make 3 straight Finals appearances.

That's great if he returns as coach and then they reload in 2014, but what if the Lakers are unable to lure any big name free agents or have a team like Memphis drop a superstar into their lap again for pennies on the dollar?

8. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Phil Jackson will not save the Lakers.. they are in Cap Hell,
    and i doubt they are willing to amnesty Kobe...

Lakers are in deep trouble for 2- 3 year... Unless they offload
    some contract, which again comes back to them having a bad season...

Dwight said that he wants to be happy and wants to make the best
    baxketball decision.. the best out there is Houston..

It is what it is.....

9. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

As devastating as it was last summer to not get Duh-wight.....this time around it won't sting as bad, because we're on the up-swing either way.

10. Baqui99

Comes down to Dwight wanting to win now by joining a team on the up like Houston, or re-signing with a washed up Laker team with no depth and hoping they sign someone in a couple of years when Kobe retires.

11. Baqui99

Yup, Phil Jackson isn't some miracle cure for the Lakers. It was posted here earlier, but I'll reiterate. The Lakers bench consisted of garbage like Earl Clark, Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks, Darius Morris, Steve Blake, etc. And their core is comprised with a no-D 40-yr old PG in Steve Nash, a declining Metta WP, an injury prone Pau Gasol, and Kobe who won't even play next year.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Also depends if he wants it to be "his" team or not.

By staying in LA he can basically recruit and "choose" the next big fish that will join him, be part of the beginning of the next "big Lakers team" and really have an impact on that franchise.

Or he can join a OKCish team in Houston of guys that have fun and also have a great shot at winning a ring "faster". I put faster in "" because I don't believe a year makes that much of a difference.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I think we all know which end of this image the Rockets are on.....

14. smr6

smr6 Member

This is the team that didn't even consult with their franchise player and one of the best players to ever wear a Lakers uniform when they hired Mike Brown. So knowing that I can see why they wouldn't want to budge from their stance of not letting a player who's played there for 1 year influence their decision making.

Not saying it is smart though.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

The [unreliable, makes stories up?] T.J. Simers

Still am convinced he will re-sign.

I've always maintained he will be back because of Hollywood, acting, etc.

I do think both(Mike & Dwight) will be back. Phil will not coach. What is your better option than D'Antoni. I don't think he's the right coach. Who do you bring in?

Health is #1 with Phil. He's gonna be 68. Phil, in his mind, has made the transition to president, who runs the organization. I don't rule out coming to LA as a president. I don't see him ever coaching again. I do see him involved in a NBA franchise as a president. Phil wants to be a part of the NBA scene. He wants to be influential. He already accomplished it as a coach. ... Phil will not go where he can't be successful.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm just wondering who he's going to recruit. Most of the guys he thinks he will recruit will be traded before a team just lets them go for nothing.

Lakers better start collecting assets.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am doubtful that DH goes back to the Lakers with MDA. If Phil Jackson is there, then I think he does. Will PJ cure everything? Who knows and it doesn't matter. All that matters for the ROCKETS is do they get DH12 or not.

18. ooox

ooox Member

Lmao "hope". This is the Lakers not the Clippers.

19. ooox

ooox Member

Educate yourself before coming on here and looking like a fool. Almost every contract on the Lakers comes off next year.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Lakers said they had faith in Mike Brown and would give him time to develop his system. Then Kobe Bryant gave him the death stare and he was gone before the next game. Just how it goes with stars.