1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[CBS Sports] Howard no lock for Lakers; interested in Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 19, 2013.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Oh please

The only people who have the perception that Phil Jackson is magical in his abilities are the people that buy into the hype of the "Almighty Zen Master". :rolleyes:

Let me lay out the secret to his past success:

The dude is good at managing egos, he has a good offensive system...and most importantly....he coaches only teams loaded with talent. The last bit is the MOST important aspect to explain his success....he isnt magical...just smart in choosing his jobs.

The Lakers, with their current cap situation and their cast of ANCIENT broken down players will NOT be a contender until they can get rid of all those massive contracts and get some fresh talent in there....no matter who the coach is. If Howard isnt smart enough to see that....then he can stay there and languish in mediocrity for the remaining years of his prime.

1 person likes this.
  2. cyberx

cyberx Member

Howard REALLY wants Phil... D'Antoni firing those assistant coaches that he really liked were a buffer for Dwight, it's huge that MDA let them go.

Phil to Lakers is still a possibility believe it or not. Even more feasible since some of M. Browns salary will be covered by CLE.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm assuming not as a coach, but as a front office executive, correct??

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

And if Dwight doesn't get Phil, then what?

"It's not a me or Mike situation" <--but it really is. Stop it.

I want SVG gone but I'm not gonna come out and say it but I want it to happen but SVG found out anyways and I want MDA gone but I'm not gonna come out and say it and I'm gonna play dumb and act like these reports are foreign language to me and if I don't get my way, I'll just take my ball and go home or I'll continue to have my people leak media reports that I don't want Mike.

5. Fyreball

If Dwight doesn't get Phil, then he will be warmly welcome in Houston! :cool:

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

awwww man!

7. cyberx

cyberx Member

Lakers I am told would FIRE MDA AFTER Dwight resigns... They dont want to give Dwight the power until he signs the dotted line.

Phil in the office... or as coach for a year or 2... THEN bring Brian Shaw in to run the triangle.

I really hope people stop doubting me now. The USA Today article and the Berger article were both in a week after I gave you guys my info.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, if he doesn't get Phil, he's gonna run away and leave town. ;)

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

That is HUGE. Espeically with teams that are "loaded with talent". It's as big a factor as any. If he can get his two best players that hate each other, to work together and win titles, he's doing more than just picking the smart jobs.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Lakers would be a lot better off with Phil Jackson running things in the FO. Hopefully Jimmy's ridiculous ego won't allow that to our benefit.

11. Fyreball

The question I have is if Dwight REALLY wants Phil, then who is willing to step aside in the Lakers organization to ensure that Phil comes? Is Jim Buss going to put aside his ego, and allow Phil to come in and be the so-called savior? He would never be able to live that down. It's obvious that Jackson wants full-on control of an organization the way that Riley does in Miami, but something tells me the Lakers (and by that I mean Jim Buss) are not going to cave into his demands. If that means Dwight walks, then so be it. But the Lakers don't care to ANYBODY, and that's what's important here.

12. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

No doubt or hating here bro. I appreciate your info.

13. Fyreball

But if Dwight willing to forego the lack of talent on that team just to have Phil as coach? Also, are the Lakers really willing to cave into one player's demands like this?? Firing D'Antoni and bringing in Jackson all because Dwight wants it? If that's how far they're willing to go, then unfortunately, I don't see Dwight walking away from that.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

So he kinda is using the Rockets then?

If you don't fire Mike, I'm leaving to Houston/Dallas/Atlanta. You fire Mike, I'll stay.

He wants them to fire MDA before he re-signs
    They want him to re-sign before they fire MDA.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

This. This. And THIS!

16. cyberx

cyberx Member

You bring in Phil as coach and talent comes to the team cheap, trust me.

17. Fyreball

So ultimately, the Rockets really ARE going to be used as leverage? :(

18. Fyreball

If that's the situation, you know Dwight blinks first. He won't walk away from the prospect of playing with Phil.

19. boiler

boiler Member

I don't see why Lakers wouldn't cave if Dwight wants Phil. Phil is a much better coach than D'Antoni unless Jim buss really hates Phil or knows for sure Phil will not go back to LA.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yep it was back in the 80's and the Lakers fired Paul Westhead (after a championship) and hired Pat Riley (supposedly to make Magic Johnson Happy). But you say it as if it turned into one great big train wreck when in fact it worked out beautifully for the Lakers.

Getting rid of Westhead was important in creating Showtime and the Lakers went to 7 NBA Championships in 8 years winning 4 of them after giving Magic what he wanted. That was pretty damn good.