1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinkie trying to hire Chris Finch?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, May 20, 2013.

?

Is it unethical for Hinkie to try and hire away our assistants?

1. It's fine

57.1%
  2. It's a Bush League move

42.9%
  1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I dont think its bush league - yeah it kind of sucks because Finch was brought up through the Rockets org - an Org that Hinkie help create. You see it all the time in business - a guy leaves company A to go to a higher position in company B and over time tries to bring over the best talent from company A to company B.

The fact that its happening so fast maybe tells me that maybe Morey, Hinkie etc. wanted to probably do this from the start but I dont think Les would have allowed such a green coach take over. Anyways if/when Finch gets the job I think it is good for the Rockets org as a whole. If you have a rep of developing good front office people - you'll get the better people applying there for their entry level positions

It will be interesting to see how Philly plays next season if Finch is their head coach

Honestly I am not sure - consider the Rockets offseason plans A-Z being "Get Dwight Howard"

Dwight is a Superstar and superstars have generally balked at playing for rookie head coaches - hell Dwight hates D'antoni - and rumors state that he is interested in playing for McHale. If McHale becomes Finch after one season (if that was the original grooming plan) it could have a negative effect on getting Dwight and lets say by some good luck we get him - we'd probably have to deal with the possibility of him (and who knows maybe others too) not wanting to play with a rookie HC.

Yes the Heat played with Spolestra but Wade was already with him as a coach and gave him his seal of approval to Bosh and LeBron - not to mention they have Pat Riley as well there to help keep things in check and give advice.

Its not like the Rockets have a legendary coach or player right now in their front office that other players will listen to. The only person like that right now is McHale and he could be our best shot (after Harden) at landing Dwight.

In the more likely scenario if the Rockets do not land Dwight - maybe Finch does become the head coach but it seems like McHale is actually enjoying coaching this team more than he had originally thought (again now that he has star talent compared to the season before) - he may stay and almost every player this season has said they have enjoyed playing for McHale.

If McHale does step down then I can see the Rockets reaching out to a more established HC (maybe one of the Van Gundys or even Rudy T) to come in and coach the team if it has Dwight and Harden on it.

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Exit Poll Question:

If you had to choose: McHale or Finch as Head Coach and you can't keep both, do you stick with McHale???

I'm iffy.......the nice thing to do is to stick with McHale but his coaching leaves a lot to be desired and as some have pointed out, Finch has a lot more coaching experience and success in the past. What it really comes down to is can McHale turn this team into champions???

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I truly think that McHale was brought in for Dwight down the line. At that time we were one of the teams desperately trying to trade for him and Morey probably felt that McHale's coaching could help his game immensely and would encourage him to stay.

I think this notion stands today. McHale will help point Dwight into our locker room. McHale will help Dwight become an offensive force. If Dwight weren't a factor then maybe I go with Finch because he was supposedly one of the reasons we let go of a hall of fame coach, so obviously Morey values him greatly.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I stick with McHale because he has pull. He's got a great reputation with players around the league. He's a fantastic figurehead for recruiting.

Wtf is Finch going to do in front of Howard, Love or even Lebron, give them an iPad with advanced stats?

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

you make some good points. I agree that he has more 'pull' and respect of the players. But is that enough? (It might be). On the other hand, we keep hearing that Finch is some genuis (evil) mastermind who pulls championships out of his butt and engineered one of the top offenses in the league with a bunch of no-name players (even Harden was just emerging). At the end of the day, is Mchale or Finch a better head coach? Only time will tell, but in my gut, I feel like it will be Finch.

Side note, anyone else keep thinking of little birds (Finches) when referencing his name? :grin:

6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Jedi mind tricks? Boast about his D-League championships! (I kid)...maybe demonstrate how awesome his offensese are..I dunno. I get that McHale has the swagger but does he have the mind and fortitude to be a good coach? Jury's still out IMO

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

McHale has shown that he has the respect of players, who are willing to buy into his system and play hard for him. To me that's a good coach. You can use analytics to come up with the most efficient systems in the world, and it will jack squat if players don't follow them. And that's where the head coach is important.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's not going to get the job. He has a lot to learn and needs more experience.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Even if he gets hired and I hope he doesn't I still think mchale is the best coach we can have at the moment. The players buy into him and most importantly the star of the team likes him. Also it's said that Howard and mchale hit it off plus all his peers like Charles Barkley, magic ext always say he's the best teacher of post play. This could really be a big thing as far as getting dwight because he will know he's playing for a hard nosed defensive bang down low type of guy similar to himself. He'll know that the offense will run through him on the post. Also mchale seems like the perfect personality for dwight an old school hof post player who's really cool with his players but also holds them accountable.

Iv been a big fan of mchale for a while just because all the superstars of the league love him. That's what it comes down too. when u got the stars to win you got to have that Rudy t, Phil Jackson, doc rivers and pops type of coach and while mchale is not as good as those guys he is respected by the superstars like those guys. He can get them to buy in because they know he was one of them and won alot of rings. That's something no other coach that I can think of can say.

Honest question what other team has a hof player as there coach who won championships as a player?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Rafa would get the best out of Donuts and the special one would be good if we get superstars in the off season.

11. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

[​IMG]

So Rick Adelman was fired because he wanted to be loyal to his assistants. I wonder if Chris Finch has the cojones to leave the Rockets after Morey did that for him?

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

MOREY FOR HEAD COACH! Get 'er done Morey

1 person likes this.
  13. liveguy

liveguy Member

...........No.

14. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

then maybe we should have signed him with a better deal for his promise?

if you cant give a man what he deserves, he has every right to move. but if you are and somebody else still makes a better offer, they are overvalue him and it is their loss.

15. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

it's a big news. i see Mgmt got some issue there.

16. SSP365

SSP365 Member

i like morey and the way he drafts and finds players but i dont like the fact that he's influencing how the team plays on the court strategy/philosophy wise.

he is way out of bounds.

also dont like the fact that he's to full of himself always doing interviews. Ive never seen a GM do so much tv, radio, social media.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

You ain't been here long enough.

No other GM has such a cult following. No other member of the Rockets organization explains the present and future of the team so well. Morey is one of the best things about the Rockets.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-Not related to Hinkie & Finch, but more Rockets potential poaching-

(Didn't want to create a new thread. Just a thought but maybe we just need a "ROCKETS POACHING" thread)

Per Woj-

Adrian Wojnarowski‏@WojYahooNBA3h
    Boston assistant Ty Lue and Rio Grande head coach Nick Nurse are candidates for assistant coaching job in Toronto, league sources tell Y!

Dont loose sight of Nick Nurse down there in the valley. He did a fantastic job this season with the Vipers and surely would be a candidate for an assistant job with the Rockets if one or more of their assistants got head coaching jobs elsewhere.

It would be a smaller loss, but one that could hurt down the road if Nurse becomes a successful coach in the future.

19. basketballholic

So, I'm wondering if we can formulate a trade with Hinkie for Coach Finch. If I remember right, Finch was given some kind of special contract as the head coach in waiting here. So, why can't Morey negotiate a trade. Say TRob and RWhite to Washington for pick #11 and #35 and Finch. But only if Cody Zeller is on the board at #11.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Finchy! Oh, the other Chris Finch

NSFW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W7boRHoz27s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>