1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rant Sports] Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, May 15, 2013.

1. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/...ill-majorly-affect-houston-rockets-next-year/

Nothing groundbreaking and this might not need a new thread, but just one guys opinion that Trob will be important for us.

2. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

3. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Nothing new here...

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

waiting on CH to start ranting...

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The main question right this second about Robinsons near future in Houston-

Do the Rockets go ahead and trade him before they make a run at Dwight or CP3, or do they hold on to him until the last minute to try and keep him and take a risk at not being able to move him on July 1st if needed, or not being able to be included in a potential sign and trade?

It will be interesting to see if they move him on draft night just to prepare for the possibility of going after Dwight or wait until the last minute to seek a deal to free up the needed cap space.

-Also, do they value Robinsons potential over that of Motiejunas and Jones? The Rockets could get the cap space to sign Dwight from trading away both Jones and Motiejunas to not take back any salary. Who would the Rockets rather have- D-Mo & Jones, or Robinson? I know what the FANS would most likely say to this, but Im wondering if the front office feels differently about Robinsons potential.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't see it with Robinson. A major problem is that he didn't get to play much his first season. Usually the players that make strides in their second season got ample playing time in their first years as rookies, like Chandler Parsons. To expect him or any of our other PFs to perform well as a starter is asking for too much.

7. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

What I would like to know is what would it take for TRob to step up and be that power forward that we need? What would it take for him to fill the spot where we are hoping to get a Josh Smith, KLove or LMA? What would it take for us to say that PF is not our weakest position, because we have TRob?

Or is he unable to fill that role with his skillset?

Is he developable?

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Robinson has more potential, but he would also be much easier to move in a hurry, Morey may well do his due diligence to see if he can shed Royce with say Motie and basically give them away for nothing and the cash to waive Royce.

9. Aleron

Some team looking to go young, would probably be looking at filling up to the salary cap minimum with rental salary space I'd imagine. Want my space? give me money and kids!

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I think he can develop, but will he? I think of Ibaka who was raw as all get back coming into the league and is now solid. Do we hold onto him? Tough call.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This is less than nothing. Houston needs a PF, their top five pick is the best bet. Great work, RantSports.

12. dobro1229

The problem with this however, is to trade Royce, its most likely going to come when the Rockets would be able to essentially "decline & trade" with cash to pay his salary.

This would traditionally be done when its appropriate to decline his option for future years beyond next. Not sure when would be the earliest they could decline his option. I only know that they have to do it before October 31st.

I just dont see a team trading for a player, and then declining his option right away. Sort of sends a terrible message. Plus any team taking a shot at him with their 14th or 15th roster spot would probably want to wait till after free agency to see if they could get anyone better first.

I personally just dont see a deal happening for Royce White in this scenario till after the Rockets decline his option at the end of training camp, and another team has a "why the F not" roster spot & cap space free to take a flyer on him.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This will only happen if he's involved in a major trade to acquire
    our second superstar! Talk about a sensationalist quote!....:eek:

14. Aleron

I'd agree normally but in Royce's case.... I can certainly see a cpl teams doing it if hie gets paid for AND they got Motie for free.

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Where is CH on this?

16. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

You are right in the case that the rockets need to develop talent at the 4 but I think you have the wrong player. I do believe the Rockets should go in the direction of going after DHoward. If we bring him in I personally think Terrence Jones would be a better fit next to Howard. Even if we dont get Howard, I think Terrence Jones could be that low post scorer that we need.

17. nykb17

nykb17 Member

One thing I don't like about TRob is that he seems to play small at times. I actually like TJones better in that he plays bigger.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Robinson needs an Ibaka like jump shot.

19. dobro1229

I guess if you are sending cash to cover Royce's salary and they think highly of D-Mo, its a trade that some teams might make on draft night. I am pretty high on D-Mo's potential though myself... Just my opinion, but If I was Morey I think I would seek-

#1 -Robinson for a 2nd rounder or future 1st

#2 -Jones/White/Cash for 2nd rounder or future 1st

#3 -D-Mo/White/Cash for 2nd rounders or future first.

#4- D-Mo/Jones for 2nd rounders or future firsts.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow. You don't value our players at all.