1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

+H€ dW|ghT hOWaRd paTT€rN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, May 10, 2013.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Great thread, but to be a party pooper - what if Dwight is leveraging the Houston threat to get his best friend to L.A.? I.e., what if the Lakers flinch, amnesty Kobe and call up Atlanta and offer Gasol for Josh Smith in a sign and trade? Then they ask Kobe to take a year off and they will sign him to a new deal in the summer of 2014?

Separate question - if nobody claims Kobe off the amnesty wire because he says he will not play anywhere else, does L.A. retain his Bird rights?

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I could be wrong but I think they are referring to the luxury tax level. Because we are below the cap we have to deliver pretty close to what we recieve back. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They can't. Even if they cut Kobe's 30 million from their payroll they are STILL over the cap. That's how bad their cap situation is right now.

The only way it would be possible is if Atlanta would be interested in a trade with the Lakers, most likely for Pau? But Pau is 32 years old, coming off of knee surgery and, most importantly, can possibly be had off the waiver wire. Why would you trade for him if there is the chance you could pick him up for less off the waiver wire?

4. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I think based on his history, and said he feels Dwight will come, I am just taking it as a done deal lol

Obviously everything can change in 2 months

5. dudeimfromhtown

Dwight to houston lets go!

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I is just a line and I don't know wtf he used for the E.

Ah well just a shot.

7. JoeBarelyCares

I think they only have to be within $5 million of each other. So we would need to only send out $11.5 million in salaries to do a $16.5 million sign and trade for Josh Smith.

8. Old Man Rock

Almost all of the TRob money will be needed to sign Howard. ANd as I said Josh Smith has already turned down 15 mil to sign with Atlanta. He will not be signing for 12 mil. To big a cut no matter how much he likes dwight.

9. JoeBarelyCares

They would be under the luxury tax apron and sending out more in salary than they are taking back.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He will if he's not offered more elsewhere (and I'd be very surprised if ATL put it back on the table, they seem ready to move on).

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Yup. And Parsons just mentioned that he just came from LA (could be with one of our management) and probably met with D12.

12. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Dwight and Smith to Houston..........................................................................................

13. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Glad you can speak for him... And no t rob doesn't

Royce and dmo is just as easy

Or Royce and declining smith and olbrecht

Just cause he turned down Atlanta doesn't mean anything .... Maybe he just doesn't want to be there

He can only make 18 mil at max anyway so money isn't why he turned down Atlanta.

I say he gets 15 max on open market

14. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait... So, did Aruba77 get the sex change?

1 person likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

cyberx, Doc Rocket, and jopatmc is back on the board, get ready for Howard in Houston Dwightmare Deuce!

16. JoeBarelyCares

How about Asik ($8.3 million) + Royce White ($1.7 million) + James Anderson ($916K) + Greg Smith ($884K) = $11.8 million which is within $5 million of the $16.5 million max deal for Josh Smith.

17. Old Man Rock

Yes for sure he will take the most money he can get. But unless Atlanta signs CP3 and Howard they will likely not let him walk to someone like Cuban who would probably give him more than 12 mil anyway.

Also all these people who think we can trade 10 mil for a 15 mil contract are mistaken. That does not apply if you are under the cap. You cannot exceed the cap to get more for less even though more is better.

18. Old Man Rock

I can't speak for him. I am just using common sense. An athletes earning duration has an expiration and then you are done at a young age. Most athletes want every penny they can get. Most agent will consult their athletes to go for every penny they can get. There have been exceptions but in general they don't leave much money on the table. 15-16 max is what I was thinking too. That's more than 12.

19. Broford

Broford Member

Doc Rocket you troll

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member