1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Podcast] Morey on 610 today: talking Lin, free agency & expectations for next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 8, 2013.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The 610 guys went out of their way to dog out the Rockets when the team went over to 790. Innes was the main culprit, and Lord wasn't far behind but I think started to come around when the team wasn't a suckfest.

As far as Lopez, that dumb laugh of his makes me skip straight over to the aforementioned 790, anyway.

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Well, I don't know about the difference between 610 and 790 but I know that radio host who referred to clutch fans as his source must be a real DUMBASS.... Oops, sorry, I meant GENIUS. :grin:

3. conquistador#11

the obvious is the obvious, maury is a linster all the way. I trust the garm gms more as they're never wrong.

seriously, once you get past the pathetic usual suspects that hang on to every piece of negativity available, you realize lin had a solid year. Nothing spectacular but normal for a player growing into that position. Lowry was in a similar position in Toronto, having to change his game a little to accommodate the new situation he was in and lowry struggled. In this team, you can replace harden and we would still average 100 points a game, so we really don't need lin to shoot 17 shots a game like a lillard. He just needs to season more and work on the 3ball with his bbf, not chandler but the other one, the one with the most beautiful stroke ever seen.

Still doesn't mean I don't want an all star like duncan at the four, or if you can get chris paul then you have to make that happen all means necessary.

4. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Calvin is awesome. He came to my elementary school when I was little and patiently signed autographs for each and every kid. I tell him how bad we need him back on air whenever I see him.

5. ed_tx

I think that there is a chance the contract can be voided. If you make an agreement based on assurances by a contracting party and those assurances prove to be false, then you should be able to void the contract. For example, let's say I was a pilot and hired me to fly you to Mexico. I inform you that I had Lasik surgery and my vision is 20/20. Then, the day of the flight comes and you see me in the hanger squinting and bumping into things left and right and I tell you the surgery didn't take and my vision is now so bad that I could be declared legally blind. There's no way in hell that anyone would expect you to hop on that plane with me and you would be able to void the contract. The Rockets knew that Royce had a condition. However, he gave them assurances that he could fly and would ride buses when he could. Then he refused b/c his anxiety kicked up another notch and now he can't perform the job even though he had assured them that he could originally. The Rockets should be able to void that contract.

Les/Morey- if you are reading this, I would be happy to represent the Rockets in court. hahaha

6. just a word

just a word Member

I can't rep yet so I'm just gonna quote this entire truth bomb.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Yeah, I agree.
    When can you rep?

8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Are you a lawyer? There's talk on another thread about voiding Lin's contract. Is that possible, or are the haters fantasizing again?

9. just a word

just a word Member

I think the angles is more of a team chemistry issue and figure that at least some of this will improve with familiarity with the team.

10. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Totally agree but those LOH will never acknowledge the truth. Thanks for trying to enlighten.

11. ed_tx

Haters are totally fantasizing about voiding Lin's contract. There's nothing even close to the Royce situation. Even if they were correct about Lin being the worst player in the NBA (which he isn't) you wouldn't have grounds to void the contract. Take the same hypothetical that I used before with the pilot. If you heard that I was the greatest pilot in town and my flying skills had reached mythical proportions, and you hire me to fly you to Mexico. I fly you to Mexico but the flight was bumpy and I landed kind of hard but still get you there on time and safe. The fact that I was able to complete performance of the contract and fly you safely and timely to your destination would satisfy my end of the deal. You couldn't say- hey, you failed to perform and I want to void the contract.

Anyways, in sports, the players actual performance only affects the contract if there are incentives. Otherwise, you can suck all you want once you have a guaranteed contract and laugh all the way to the bank... a la Kevin Cato, Matt Maloney... the list goes on and on.

At the end of the day, I think it will depend more on whether or not the Rockets want to get into a PR battle with Royce's camp and run the risk of looking like they aren't sensitive of his disability or possibly face an ADA action. Frankly, I think the Rockets have enough proof that they did everything they could to accommodate Royce and he was the one who kept changing the rules time after time after time.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanx for the response.
    The way you present your points makes it sure sound like you're a lawyer.

So I'm gathering from what your saying is that if players are locked in a contract the don't like, they can go out on court and not try at all and still get paid and there's nothing the club can do about it.

Basically Royce has to just show up to get paid.

13. ed_tx

Sure. Conceivably, Royce can come out on the court and turn the ball over every time he touches it or shoot air balls all day. But that potentially hurts his chances of landing with another team if they think he's sucking it up and at best it hurts his value once he becomes a FA. I think it's more common to see players that quit trying after they get their huge payday contract. And there's nothing in the NBA that a team can do about it except cut them or trade them. But they still have to pay them. The NFL is a totally different story. They're usually non-guaranteed contracts so if you aren't doing so hot the team can just walk away and say thanks but no thanks and they aren't required to pay you a cent on the remaining contract term.

14. steady

steady Member

regarding Rockets goal of developing some young talent this past year, Morey mentioned PatBev GSmith and TJones, as examples of success they had in this area.

15. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Regardless, Lin is disppointing in the playoff games.

But I trust he will be better next year.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

To me it seems like most posters have no problem with Lin. We have problems with the negativity he brings to this board.

Lin has a good game = McHale is an idiot for not doing this more often and Harden needs to defer to Lin
    Lin has a bad game = McHale is an idiot for not using Lin correctly and Harden has the ball too much and Asik has bricks for hands.
    Lin playing fewer minutes = McHale is racist and wants Lin to fail and how the Rockets only cater to Harden to put Beverley/Douglas with him

I swear after every game half the threads in GARM is about how some member of the Rockets organization is horrible/racist/idiotic for whatever reason. This doesn't matter what kind of game Lin has.

The negativity literally had absolutely NOTHING to do with Lin himself. Only the spin that gets put out following him playing a game.

17. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

IMO, a GM is like a used car salesman. It's not in his interest to talk bad about ANY of his players. So what he will always want to do is have people focus on the positive.

Since there has been so much negativity on Lin lately, it would be in his best interest to remind folks the positive impact Lin had on the team during the season. Because you never know if you *might* be able to use him in a trade later.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

It's because posters like you who think posts such as
    "McHale small-ball sucks" = LOF post
    "Harden iso sucks" = LOF post
    "McHale rotation sucks (when not even related to Lin)" = LOF post
    "Lin was playing well, why sub him?" = Must be ONLY LOF post
    "Asik has brick hands" = LOF post
    "Beverley doesn't run the offense well or is better as a back-up" = LOF post
    "Harden what are you doing holding the ball for 15 sec until 3 sec left, and passing it to (Lin or Parsons) = LOF post
    "Delfino on Gasol, are you kidding me?" = LOF post (because some LOFs criticize McHale for benching Lin, so all criticisms on McHale MUST come from LOFs)
    "Harden has 9 TOs tonight" = LOF post
    "Harden's shooting efficiency is pretty poor tonight, or when he acts as primiary PG" = LOF post
    "Toney Douglas waving his hands frantically does not constitute good defense" = LOF post
    "Patrick Beverley's defense is overrated (but still pretty good)" = LOF post
    "Kelvin Sampson is a better coach than Kevin McHale" = LOF post
    "Kelvin Sampson is not a good coach" = LOF post

Or Fan of Lin MUST BE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE TO Fan of Houston Rockets.

Basically any comment that doesn't praise the Head Coach, Harden, Beverley, Toney Douglas (and Asik for dropping passes) are LOF posts.

Any posts about LOF that doesn't praise him = pre-2012er poster that knows basketball and is rockets team first.

It's people like you who puts pegs on the ground, circles it, and say this is the property and types of comments allowed on Clutchfans (criticisms for Lin allowed, but no other PGs, ball-dominant guards and coaches allowed) and everything else isn't, that leads you to making these types of posts.

Are some LOFs at fault? Sure. But the LOHs are way worse.

1 person likes this.
  19. ed_tx

Yes- it was disappointing but to be fair, it was his first time in any professional post season play. I remember the first time I had to speak in front of a live audience. I stuttered and stammered and couldn't even light a dayum candle b/c I was so nervous. Now I do it a couple of times a week and don't even bat an eye most of the time. I'm confident that he will be just fine.

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Well, you portray what you think things are, onto others.

Morey has been more than up front and straight shooting over his years here.

3rd in win-shares according to Morey's stats (vs 4th on conventional books), Rockets wouldn't be in playoffs without Lin (when we were a loss away from missing out), aren't stretching Lin's impact on the Rockets.

Morey didn't say the Rockets would've been in the playoffs with Lin playing a lead role, or without the Harden trade, or that Lin was top 10% defensive player, or whatever.

He gave us his stats, and they were pretty close to what conventional data was, except a little better.

What's so hard for you to accept on this? You'd rather Morey was deceiving you about Lin, than to accept that Lin was actually a bit better than you thought?

SMH ...

You rather call the GM a used car salesman for giving data on Lin that was slightly better than conventional data (or what you thought), then to think maybe I don't know the data better than an MIT-Grad in stats, who is part of the quantitative revolution in the NBA with exclusive collection of data, and a team of data analyzers that turns down offers from multi-millionaire hedge fund managers to work for him?

Just a simple one line -> he's a used car saleman, so we can discredit anything he says (about Jeremy Lin, anyway).