1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sikh man beaten with steel pipe in Fresno hate crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, May 9, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police say they're disturbed by the brutal attack on an 81-year-old Sikh man. They upgraded the charges against 29-year-old Gilbert Garcia. He now faces attempted murder and will likely be charged with hate crime and elder abuse.

The 81-year-old victim is expected to make a full recovery, but does have a punctured lung, a fractured jaw and staples in his head.

His nephew Paul Sihota said, "When it's time to get together we find each other."

Sihota says his family is honored by the response from his community, and honored by the hundreds who packed the Southwest Fresno temple.

Community members took the podium, held a moment of silence and spoke about "understanding the problem" and told the audience, "If we do not take strong step it will happen again."

The community certainly has the support from both local and federal authorities who are aggressively investigating the brutal beating of Piara Singh.

Singh was doing what he does every Sunday, volunteering at his local temple. That's when police say, out of nowhere, Gilbert Garcia attacked him with a steel pipe.

Chief Jerry Dyer told a temple full of people that the crime has led him to one conclusion.

"Mr. Singh was targeted because of who he was, what he was wearing, his ethnicity, his religion."

Dyer called it an isolated incident, saying Garcia does not have a history of hate crimes and that it's not related to other attacks on members of the Sikh community.

Chief Dyer added, "What we don't want is for people to become fearful or paranoid, if we do, they win, but we do need to be aware of the individuals trying to harm you folks."

Sharnjit Purewal, Associate Secretary of the Sikh Council of Central California said, "Generally we feel like we're accepted, when something like this happens, it's shocking and very hurtful."

The Council says it's next stop is action, and education.

"Getting to know your neighbor is not a bad idea," said Paul Sihota. "Just because he wears a turban or some other different dress doesn't make him a terrorist."

Members of the Sikh community are holding another town hall meeting this weekend to come up with ideas about how to raise awareness about who they are and what they represent. It's slated for Saturday, May 11th, at 5pm at the temple on South Cherry Street in Fresno.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=9094041

Maybe the OCP can visit mr. garcia.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Sickening.
    Just terrible!

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ignorance at its fullest. Great job, Gilbert. I hope that steel pipe gets crammed where the sun don't shine.

4. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

If you're gonna hate someone, at least do some research. Sikhism and Islam isn't even close to the same

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

That's the beauty of ignorance and bigotry though. They don't concern themselves with pivotal details.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I hate that this world is filled with stupid.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

So where does it state that its a hate crime? All i know is a crazy dude beat up an old guy.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

First off, this is tragic and despicable.

One thing I take issue with from the story, though, is where is the evidence that Garcia committed a hate crime? How do we know he wasn't attacking him for some other reason than the fact he was Sikh?

I hate it when people just throw out that it's a hate crime just because the 81 year old was a Sikh. It could have been for other reasons.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    What viable reason is there to attack an 81 year old man?

If it's not a hate crime because he's Sikh it has to be that it's a hate crime against the elderly.

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

good to see hotballa and bigtexxx pairing up on this one. Why not ask Honey Bear for his take to make it a trifecta?

kudos on staying committed to your roles for so long, it must be tough not to break character.

14. AXG

AXG Member

Everybody has a race, therefore it's racist.

15. bigtexxx

Are you kidding? There could be any number of reasons. Verbal comments, being in his way, etc. None of them are justifiable or lawful in any way, but there could be reasons why somebody would do that.

Where does it say that? The comments from the story claimed he was targeted for his ethnicity and religion.

16. bigtexxx

tell me where I'm wrong, rather than just trying to attack posters (which of course is a sign that you're unable to argue based on fact and logic)

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Again where does it say he was targeted because hes a shikh? You know there are ppl in this world who are just crazy right?

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I beat up random old people every day just for kicks.

19. DreamRoxCoogFan

tell me where I attacked you, rather than just trying to put words in my mouth (which of course is a sign that you're deflecting).

I merely stated the events that happened.

20. bigtexxx

now you're backpedaling

you lumped me in with Honey Bear and claimed I was acting "in character"