1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Denver's Masai Ujiri to be named NBA Executive of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, May 8, 2013.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Ujiri is the Kobe of GMs, he's done a great job several years in a row but now quite enough for the MVP of GMs. So in the end they give it to him.
    He deserves one, but I think Morey deserves it more this year.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

not [​IMG]

3. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Morey has it next year, his endgame has not been played just yet

4. FearTheBeardJH

Morey made terrible trade with Robinson and overpaid Lin. Asik was good signing, gave up a lot to get Harden.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This offseason Morey will do a Hakeem, look over to Ujiri and tells his staff, "that's my trophy."

He then proceeds to hit Ujiri with so many CBA loopholes that in a conference call later, Ujiri says, "I don't even know how I can say it with a straight face but most of the time I thought I understood the rules very well. The man just GMed as well as I've seen anyone GM in a long time."

2 people like this.
  6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But look at what Morey did to the roster. Sure, the Rockets won "only" 3 more games than last year, but after the 2012 season, they appeared to have no future outside of the lottery. So he gutted the team and replaced last year's squad with the likes of Omer Asik, James Harden, our 4-headed monster at the PF position, Aaron Brooks, Francisco Garcia, Carlos Delfino, and Patrick Beverley. Even the Lin signing was ok considering the guys he replaced(Lowry and Dragic) didn't exactly light up the NBA this past season. He also left us with a ton of cap room which at least gives us a shot at a big name free agent this offseason. And that's to say nothing of the fact that our current roster is very young and will only improve as they gain more experience.

Compare that with Denver which admittedly did have a terrific regular season(and in fairness, this award is based on that and NOT the playoffs), but has a far less certain future compared to Houston. Iggy could be gone. Miller is old and on his last legs. And there isn't nearly as much cap flexibility for that franchise which means this team has likely peaked with their 2012-13 performance.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We all know this idiot is str8 trollin'

....but anyway, if it's wins you want, as far as 2012 acquisitions (win shares) :

Harden (12.8)
    Asik (5.5)
    Lin (5.4)

v.

Iguodala (5.6)
    McGee (4.9) (acquired last season...so doesn't even count btw...)
    Evan Fournier (1.0)

It's not even close to being close even if you throw McGee in there. And I'm not even counting the Rockets role players like Smith, Delfino, Beverley....

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Not sure if trolling, but I´ll play along:

Terrible trade for Robinson? How so? Getting a top 5 pick in his rookie year AND capspace AND a good contributor in Garcia for PPat (who has no future here) and Douglas who was easily replaced. Even if we get nothing out of T-Rob, the trade still makes sense. And he has a lot of potential and probably at least good enough trade value for a low 1st rounder.

Overpaid Lin? The jury is still out on that one. From a pure market standpoint Lin was a good pick up. From a basketball standpoint he played close to being a 8 million per year player. But he has lots of talent and already showed improvement (3pt shot, turnovers). At the very least he was a below average signing, but he could still turn out huge.

Gave up too much for Harden? Are you freaking kidding me? We got a steal here. Players like Harden are few and you basically never have a chance to trade for such a talent, that is only 23 years old. And what did we give up? Martin? Nice player, but a dime a dozen... Lamb? Unproven 12 pick... Torontos lottery pick? How many of those low lottery pick actually turn out - and how many of those turn into stars? Harden single handidly made us relevant again. All those other pieces are nice, but without that superstar you won`t get other superstars. He is the one that startet it all here. A pure steal.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I won't even say Morey should have won it -- though I think his case is solid. Ujiri should not have won it. He picked up Iggy, ok, but it was a pretty quiet year for him overall.

Yeah, Denver got a lot better. But, it doesn't make sense to judge the GMs by how many wins they got. It's the job of the players and the coaches to win games within the year. It's the job of the GMs to put them in a good place for winning a championship over many years. Denver had a good season, but they're no closer to being a contender now than they were a year ago.

Houston took a big step forward in that regard. You could say Brooklyn for picking up JJ -- or Atlanta for dumping JJ. Before it turned into a disaster, you might have said LAL when they picked up Nash and Howard -- but even then if Howard does re-up with them, Lakers trading for him is a bigger coup than Denver picking up Iggy.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's another argument for Morey -- he's innovated more than any other GM I can think of in leveraging the system, from the multi-year contracts at team options that keep good players at low salaries to the posion pill machinations he used to steal RFAs to the first round pick collars in trades, he has been the cleverest at structuring negotiations to get what he wants and minimize his risk.

11. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no defensible argument to explain this travesty. None.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I think having a yearly awards for GM's is dumb anyways. What are they rewarding? The moves that they made that year or how the moves they made in previous years are paying dividends? If the former, how the hell are you suppose to know if the moves were "good" until after a few years? If the latter, shouldn't it just go to whoever has the best record every year?

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Royce White. Negative EOY vote getting value :(

14. rawool

rawool Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>GM Voting:1. Masai Ujiri,DEN; 2. Gary Sacks,LAC; 3. Daryl Morey,HOU; 4. Glen Grunwald,NY; 5. RC. Buford,SA; 6. Pat Riley,MIA; 7.Bob Myers,GS</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/332543647620927489">May 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Damn, 3rd in voting?

15. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

He Didnt Overpay

We didnt have a starting a PG and if you want a guy to come to your team YOU DONT LOW BALL HIM! Players contracts and the minimums and maximums you can offer a guy. You would prefer Dragic who got an extra year guranteed?? Jeremy Lin and Dragic aren't that far off and Dragic was drafted and was Nash's backup for 3 years and got playoff experience and Lin just finished his first full season. Houston fans think small and is why sometimes we're viewed that way. We still have enough money to pay another max player so how is Lin overpaid?? If he's not any better next season guess what, he'll be expiring and can be moved, which is why Morey was only going to give up a 3 year deal. What other PG was available for us to get??? Jevale McGee is overpaid, DeAndre Jordan is overpaid, Amare Stoudamire is overpaid, Joe Johnson is overpaid, Lin got the same contract amount as Kyle Lowry and the same amount was offered to Lin, this GM dont overpay his track record proves that.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Presti is the one who approached Morey for the trade, and I think the Thunder made out pretty well in the deal. There shouldn't be ANY animosity from the OKC side.....it was THEIR decision to trade Harden. In fact, the Bobcats were the first team he offered Harden to, and they declined.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He also picked very well many years in a row in late first round: Lawson, Faried, Fournier...not to mention what he got from Melo trade is probably the most one can get out of such a trade.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

What would be the more impressive approach?

(Made up examples)
    A) Burger King adds already popular BK Broiler special to their existing choices.
    Sales increase 20%

B) McDonalds taking away 7 of their top menu choices, only bringing back a quarter pounder. And redesigning their look. And it actually IS BETTER than before.
    Sales increase 12%

The A option gets "scoreboard" and bottom line sales. And they get credit for having continuity and not messing up the business.

But the B option takes some VERY SHREWD, RISKY moves top to bottom, an approach that historically RUINS a franchise and DOES NOT WORK having so much change and turnover.

(Yes Ujiri WAS that "shakeup" guy years ago. But on a current 1 YEAR basis he isnt)

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

The clippers and warriors gm? Those guys didn't do anything this year. GSW got better because Curry developed. And the Clippers GM only brought in marginal players (and their team did worse than last year!) ****ing LA bias!

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I can't believe y'all are b*tching mostly about the fact that Ujiri won the award over Morey, RATHER THAN wondering how the F*** the Clippers Gary Sacks gets 2nd place in the voting OVER DMorey!!!!

So even if Ujiri didn't win the award, Sacks would have won the award instead of Morey. WTF?