1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Beverley Being a Good Defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ed_tx, May 8, 2013.

1. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for those. I really enjoyed them.

The top one was pretty good with Lin schooling Kobe one on one.

But the second top one was AWESOME. Amazing to see the fans perspective of the game. Where were you sitting?

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Beverly is a good defender in limited minutes against generally weaker opponents. I don't know he would fare if he has to play all 82 games, double his minutes, regularly against starters and at the same time take on more responsibilities in offense.

Right now he picked up fouls quickly being too aggressive, so he has to be less aggressive being a starter. In that case I don't know how effective his defense would be.

In his limited actions this season, he played well but not as well overall as what Lin did last year in NY(also in limited sample size but one year younger than Beverley this year).

He did well , but just don't stretch it too far.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Beverly is a good defender who plays with a lot of aggression and energy. Unfortunately, this is a double edged sword and some of his instinctive gambles and aggressive overreaches can backfire on him, leaving opponents room/opportunity to blow past him. Lin is actually an underrated defender, especially against bigger, but slower guards. Brooks on the other hand can never be called a defender; that would just be insulting the term.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why does it have to be about Lin? Can't we just talk about Beverley's game in its own right?

Beverley is a high energy pesky defender, which is good. He needs to improve on his rotation and how to deal with picks. That should get better from increased experience. He doesn't have the size to be effective against bigger, stronger PGs.

5. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

No- I started the thread b/c a ton of people have made a conclusion already that Beverley is a great defender based on a few games sample...

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

1 person likes this.
  7. ed_tx

This thread never said that Lin is a good defender or better than Beverley. Just that Beverely isn't a great defender based on what we've seen so far. So thanks for agreeing with me. ;)

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

No he's not a great defender just a good defender and better than Lin.

9. ed_tx

Once again, it isn't about Lin. Beverley's defense should be able to stand on it's own merit. If Lin was getting lit up by his man every game, and then McHale put Beverley in, then I think you could make that conclusion. But that's simply not what happened. Many times, McHale out Beverley in b/c he said he felt Bevereley brought a lot of energy to the game- which I totally agree with.

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

You know, if you're going to bother looking up stats, you may want to make sure your stats are correct.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2013.html

Beverley's defensive rating in regular season: 105 (best among all our guards)
    Beverley's defensive rating in playoffs: 111

Somehow, James Harden had our best defensive rating in the playoffs!

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

You really failed at convincing us that Beverley's good defense is a myth. First of all the stats say he's our best defensive guard in terms of defensive rating. His production is superior to opposing PG production when he's on the court as per 82games.

As for Jackson playing well in our series, ever heard of coaching and gameplanning? If Jackson was a threat we were concerned about, you think Beverley would be sagging off him? Blame McHale for Jackson's success more than Bev. As for Memphis containing him, it helps that they saw what he did in the playoffs. More importantly, the Grizzlies overall are SIGNIFICANTLY better than us defensively as a team so it's pretty easy to see why he's more likely to struggle against them than a below average defensive team like the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This post doesn't explain why he was put in to start in game two of the OKC series. Let me help you, buddy. He was put in because of the slight trouble he caused Westbrook. As i stated in my world famous "Unbelievable Patrick Beverley" thread, Beverley was not going to completely stop Westbrook, he was just going to bother him more than Jeremy would.

13. ed_tx

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

No, it's because of Bev's defense just like how Toney Douglas replaced Lin as well back when he was here. They were never confident in Lin's d. Some people call it "funneling" defenders others call it not being able to stay in front.

1 person likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

16. ed_tx

I understand that McHale called the plays. But McHale didn't call plays for a beverley to run right into a pick and stop playing D. A good defender can fight through picks. And the stats you provided are misleading too. Your own post states that James Harden is our best guard defender. As crazy as I may sound to some folks for starting this thread, I would be laughed out of town if I started a post about The Myth of Harden Being a Great Defender... Because everyone knows that's not true. He's terrible but the stats you show disagree...

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Beverley hassles and put pressure on the ball handler... Good defender? Hopefully.

18. slimmy

slimmy Member

It's simple. A PG's most important responsiblity on defense is ball pressure and getting back preventing fast breaks, and he did a well with that. With that said he does need to be aware of how the refs are calling the game b/c he does tend to pick up dumb fouls. That will come w/ more expierence from him and also from the refs being familiar with him. The defensive strategy in the OKC series was to take the ball out of KD's hands and the person that was mostly responsible for doubling was Beverly b/c Jackson's fg and 3pt % predicts so. Was he late in rotating some times, yes, thats going to happen when doubling a player like KD b/c making the right pass encompasses making them at the right time so the defender can't get back in time. Also, I'm not sure we're watching the same OKC/Memphis series b/c Allen and Prince are the main defenders with most of the doubling only coming on the pick situations. Memphis doesn't have to double b/c they have great peremiter defenders and bigs that can clog the paint.

1 person likes this.
  19. ed_tx

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member