1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, May 3, 2013.

?

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

1. Chris Paul

317 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

251 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. pnr

pnr Member

Hawks have Horford... do they really need Dwight? I feel like that'd be too much crowding near the basket.

2. harden man

harden man Member

Yea he does, NOT PLAY NEXT TO HARDEN! not going to happen....EVER

3. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I agree Deuce.
    1) First option and best chance is to get Howard. We can sign him outright and he fits the team by filling a need

2) Entice CP3 by the idea of forming a BIG 3 + 1 (Harden, Howard, CP3 + Parsons). But CP3 can only come if we create capspace by blowing up the roster, including shipping out Lin and Asik for picks (this is VERY VERY difficult and nearly impossible)

3) If CP3 doesn't come, go for Josh Smith who is Howard's friend. Get Howard to entice him. Only have to move Asik to create the cap space.

4) If Josh Smith doesn't come, look for to get Pau Gasol on a final year of a $19m contract as a 'temp' for next season. Lakers are in luxury tax hell and will be looking to off-load his contract for little in return. We can give t-rob or other PFs in return. Gasol contract will expire leaving us room to sign max player the season after.

5) If all else fails, sign a mid-level guy like Milsap and develop our young players.

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

CP3 is the better player but Dwight is the better fit. However, Asik is also a lot better than Lin so its tough.... I say CP3.

5. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

My opinion either one will work. Still can't be picky when it comes to superstars:

That being said, would be interesting if both are real interested in Houston:
    If it gets to the point where the Rockets will have to choose, chances are the Rockets would get both. If both players independently decide they want to play for Houston, the other one coming wouldn't detract them from doing so.

Neither will tell the Rockets I won't come if he comes. And the Rockets won't say, sorry Dwight, Chris chose us first, good luck wherever you land. Nor would they say that to Chris if Dwight chooses first.

Morey would make getting both of them work. He can't have dreams of getting either or both without having a contingency plan or idea with the current roster.

It's very slim that the Rockets land both, and chances aren't in the Rockets' majority favor that they get one. But to answer this question, there will be no choosing if both decide they want to join Houston. It would be ok, let's make the move(s) in order to make both happen.

#305 Stevierebel, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

yeah, when he was going to be traded to the lakers, no problems with ball dominating shooting guards on that team.

I don't even get your point? I mean I can understand that Paul probably won't want to leave LA because it's LA, but not wanting to play next to Harden makes no sense. CP3 would get the ball in his hands in the same way Lebron does in Miami.

Harden's usage isn't even that high for a wing player, it's lower than every other elite 2/3 except Wade.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, not really a trust-worthy "reporter".

So I'm not sure why I even posted it, ha, but whatever.

8. mockster

mockster Member

Um, were not getting CP3 end of story. idk how this is even debatable.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Been reading JRudolph is close to Howard and is kind of considered his Media PR person. Below is a tweet quoting Rudolf as saying "If Dwight doesn't stay in LA, he will definitely go to Houston"

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsRadio/statuses/331243745762766849

I think it is unlikely Dwight will stay in LA due to their problems with the salary cap and inability to build a championship team for the foreseeable future.

Houston has 50/50 chance of getting Dwight.

I think if Dwight happens... it will be nearly impossible to deal and create the space for CP3, even though the formation of the BIG 3 is tempting to CP3.

10. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard

But neither of them will come!

11. harden man

harden man Member

he wants the ball in his hands and hes a bigger star than Harden....why would he go to Houston...

12. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Just what a point guard is supposed to do. He is the most fearless PG, if not one of the more fearless. I can bet he will get the ball in his hands, as Harden will actually won't have to worry about the rock at that point. Your reason just isn't enough to why he won't come, if he wants to.

It's good that you are throwing off people with your username though haha.

13. Aleron

Because the ball would be in his hands. I think you mistake, doesn't trust Jeremy Lin with doesn't trust Chris Paul, I'd like to say it's understandable, but no ounce of common sense validates that.

14. Aleron

Finding space is the easy part, convincing them to come, very very very hard.

15. dje243

dje243 Member

Getting either of these guys would put us over the top but is also extremely unlikely. We need to do whatever puts us in the best position to get LMA or KLOVE in 2014.

16. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I agree completely, I feel that in order to get 1 of them Morey will try to sign them outright and if for some reason a trade has to be worked than Chandler and obviously Harden are untouchable. But if the opportunity presented itself to get both players then all bets are off, everyone besides Harden then becomes tradeable, and we end up looking like the Miami Heat of 2 years ago with 3 stars and the rest veteran's minimum guys....(which for the record I'm PERFECTLY FINE WITH)

With all the debate and possibilities, I'm excited/anxious to see exactly how this team will look come next season!

17. harden man

harden man Member

He's selfish.....

CHris Paul is not coming to Houston. And besides that, what makes you think they would make a play for him. The Rockets have the top scoring back court in the NBA....THey need a POST player. They will make a BIG run at Howard to come and play 4...Asik and Howard.....MENACING down low with Parsons and Lin and Harden as scorers....WOW....Chris Paul is not coming to Houston.....not going to happen

18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Can people please stop saying that Dwight Howard is going to play Power Forward. If Orlando didn't put him at PF with Gortat while he was "in his prime", what makes people think that they'll think to put him there now?

What has Dwight Howard done to show that he should/could play PF? We need a PF that can stretch the floor, one who has a mid-range game. And even if Dwight is willing to come to young upstart Houston, he ain't gonna wanna come here when we tell him we want him to play the 4....

19. Aleron

No he isn't, and as I said, his usage rate was lower than all the elite wings except Wade (and Paul's usage rate isn't overly high either, a grand total of 1 out of every 50 plays more than Lin). And Asik and Howard would be unlikely to ever set foot on the court together, Asik is far too valuable to keep as someone who replicates a lesser version of Dwight, Josh Smith would be much more valuable for example.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'm not sure why people are so negative on the idea of both. If Howard decides to sign here which I think is actually better than 50/50 then Paul will have to take a really hard look. There would be no other team in the league with this kind of talent with 3 top ten players and Parsons. Why wouldn't Paul want the opportunity to take down the Heat with arguably the only team with the talent to do it? What other situation would give him a better shot? And if he has any sense he will know Moreys track record of getting solid role players for nothing to surround the stars. It's funny but it's a domino effect. Once Harden was secure Dwight not only looks reasonable but plausible. Add Dwight and then even a Chris Paul has to take notice.