1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Beverley Being a Good Defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ed_tx, May 8, 2013.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Its too early to evaluate most of our team let alone Bev who only had his minutes bumped in a 6 game playoffs series..

2. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

My conclusion was based on me watching the Rockets series and cheering for hi one minute and groaning the very next as he just let his man shoot uncontested shot after uncontested shot. And if he's doubling Durant, I didn't say anything but my buddy sitting next to me at the home games can tell you how many times I pointed out when he wasn't even doubling and didn't even make an attempt to run at his man and get a hand in the guys face.

As for Memphis trusting its perimeter defenders more, I saw them throwing double and triple teams on him plenty of times. But somehow they were able to control Jackson while doing it. And usually he wasn't getting wide open looks so he didn't shoot the ball as much.

3. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

+ / - is a terrible indicator, especially when you have a guy like Durant that can hit some undefendable 3s. If Durant gets hot and your teammates screw up, your + / - is in the toilet through no fault of your own.

4. ed_tx

And also in Game 6, Derek Fisher had a +32 while Durant had a +1. You're point is?

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

When your series number is crap, plus you have a negative -37.6 net +/- which is like the second highest to Greg Smith, then I think there's some truth to it. Plus throw in the eye test and seeing Lin play passive and injured as well.

6. Killer Korgi

Killer Korgi Member

I hope you all realize that our whole defensive philosophy was to prevent Durant from getting the ball, prevent Durant from getting a good shot, prevent Durant from this and that this and that? This is the reason why Reggie Jackson got open so many times and Kevin Martin started heating up in Game 6. It was a sacrifice we had to take or else Durant would've torched us without the ball pressure.
    Beverley has better than average defense, but it is unfair to use this playoff series as an example.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Derek was a huge factor in game 6.

8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

? Sorry, not following. Who's + / - is -37.6? Beverley? My eye test tells me Beverley didn't play that badly in general hustle but got burnt by Jackson. My eyes could be deceiving me.

9. ed_tx

It's still misleading. In Game 4, when Kevin Martin shot 1-10, he was still a +2 while Durant was a -8.

10. thekad

thekad Member

Think about who you're talking to. Of course they think Harden was overrated.

11. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

We blocked off middle penetration and left Jackson and sefolosha open to double durant. The was the game plan so of course it would look like Beverly left his man open. Imo, Beverly could hold his own against Westbrook if he were reverted back into his bench role and not have to play starters minutes, but about 20 mpg.

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=238237

[​IMG]

13. ed_tx

I've never thought Harden was overrated. In fact, I took off half a day from work to go see his welcome press conference b/c I was thrilled to see him on the Rockets.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Oh yeah by itself sometimes it can be misleading but sometimes it fits perfectly with the eye test and along with other stats.

15. ed_tx

I agree that's the game plan but even on the playground if I see the pass swing to the open man I'm gonna run at him and try to throw him off a little (though I'm usually waving my hands wildly and screaming like a madman when I do). That's what I didn't see from Beverley... An attempt to even try to alter a shot...

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not just Rockets fans. McHale, JVG, and many other impartial observers have all said he's a strong defender.

The "he's a poor team defender" commentary is interesting. First of all, "team defense" is something you pick up with experience. He's been in the league for half a season. Secondly, a PG's first defensive responsibility should be ball pressure. Of all the positions, I think a point guard's help defense is the least important to a team's overall defense.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Bev did attempt to alter some but the Thunder just spread the floor well. The screens and Durant help really got him. He needs to work out the pick and roll coverage with Asik.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MqlFg2fW6p4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

Lin's critical weakness is Beverly's strength, ball hawking.

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Why the hell are you responding with Lin?
    I'm stating that + / - is not a good stat when assessing Bev's defensive ability.

SMFH.

20. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Where are the plays of him standing around doing nothing like OP said?

The only points by Reggie were from Beverley's help defense on Durant and on the PnR which is just as much Asik's fault.