1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema News] Marvel Being Cheap With 'Avengers 2', Cast Ready To Rumble

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, May 7, 2013.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I thought this might interest some on the board. A behind the scenes look at how y'alls favorite movies get made. I personally find this stuff fascinating, very much akin to when pro sports owners fight with players over money. Looks long but really a short read.

2. Beezy

Beezy Member

New Hulk in every movie could become a running gag.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I read this earlier. Marvel's cheapness could ultimately be their downfall if they recast.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

meh, they already got Captain and Thor locked down, all they need is Iron man. All the other actors are pretty replaceable IMO.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Actors are idiots. For a movie like The Avengers the backend should be huge.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Marvel doesn't give a crap. People go see these movies because they are marvel comic characters, and not because of some actor. Only RDJ is really a draw.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not surprising. Everybody knows Marvel's one of the cheapest companies around...

Continuity is a huge part of successful sequels, and if they don't get the same crew back, then it'll certainly hurt the films. The casting for the first phase of The Avengers was fantastic all around. If they were smart, which I assume they are, they'll wise up and compensate.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

all this hoopla for an extremely overrated franchise. I've watched all the movies besides Thor and all of them are either overrated or just plain bad.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

True...plus I had to sit behind someone who smelled like a combination of poop in the pants with really bad cigs or something for ironman 3..by the time i realized i need to move, the theater was packed and I was gasping for air....

But I survived, and realized I did not enjoy the movie as much as I wanted, but thinking on it, that has been a trend with these Marvel movies as of late...man of steel, and Star Trek can't come soon enough!

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They need RDJ.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'll probably just download the next superhero movies if they keep on recasting it. The dude who runs Marvel is similar to Stern in that they care only about the bottom line.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Never cared for the individual movies. Only Iron Man was really any good. The rest....meh...didn't even watch through most of them.

The Avengers though, was enjoyable.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Iron Man was good. Avengers was fantastic. The rest were very forgettable.

And good decision to skip Thor. Easily the worst of the series.

14. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Marvel could threaten them with reboots. But after having a leg up on dc that scare tactic might not work.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

One the one hand, this Ike Perlmutter guy should be looked up to for really being a self made man, on the other hand, he's a notorious low-balling cheapskate.

Marvel's offices only have one men's room and women's room, for their hundreds of employees. They won't carry back issues or print extra inventory of trade paper backs. Comic Book stores complain about how they can never get a hold of older books that they could sell weekly, which is basically Marvel leaving money on the table because Perlmutter's idea of business is cost cutting your way to more profit instead of investing in the future.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

How do you know so much about Marvel?

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

Are you really asking that on an internet forum? :p

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Marvel staffers and comic book store owners b**** about Marvel all the time. A couple of years ago, the comic book division didn't hit their projected profits. They were still profitable, but came in 5% under their projections. So a group of employees ended up getting laid off, presumably to make up that 5%.

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I like it. Marvel knows how it works and you can't question the business savvy of any company run by a self made Jew. RDJ makes bank because he's a T-A-L-E-N-T. A real actor. The rest are
    1. Eye candy
    2. Interchangeable blue eyed blonde guys
    3. Average actors who can't transcend their look

The cast needs the franchise MUCH more than the franchise needs the cast.

Comic book fans come to see action and characters. That's why it's so easy to start up a new Hulk or a new Spiderman and gain similar profits.

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

If they didn't like their salary, they shouldn't have signed the contracts. But if they didn't sign their contracts, their careers wouldn't nearly be as golden as it is for some of them.

Don't complain because you picked your poison.