1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, May 3, 2013.

?

Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

1. Chris Paul

317 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

251 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. Aleron

Aleron Member

The cap isn't automatically adjusted, it's a negotiation between the players association and the league. There are functional problems (such as the team minimum) that occur if the cap rises by too much. And as far as the players are concerned, they get it paid as a bonus if the revenues are higher anyway.

In other words, neither the teams, nor 90% of the individual players want it to rise by that much, if the revenues really have raised that much, what you'll see is a slow increase of 5-8% each year til it balances out.

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Imagine Dwight coming off the pick n roll receiving the same passes that Asik has gotten.... Now imagine him actually finishing 90% of those opportunities with thundering dunks .....Closed case!!!!

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Even Barkley thinks he should come here - look at who he thinks Dwight should work with other than Hakeem (4 minute mark):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uffkb1k5RLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I loved watching that. Thanks! No question that the comments from Shaq were some of the best about Howard (and not only Howard, but how to improve down low as a big man) I've heard him make since he started doing this gig. I liked what Barkley said, too. He wasn't being a clown for once, and the guy knows the big man game. They both said things that Howard should take to heart and act on. Considering how long Howard's been in the league now, it's questionable if he can do that. If he plays for someone other that the Rockets next season, I hope he doesn't improve a damn bit, but if he comes here, I'm expecting more from him than what I've seen so far. I'm expecting the kind of play Shaq and Sir Charles have expected from him for a long time, and haven't seen.

Guess we'll see how this plays out.

5. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

It wouldn't be that hard to trade lol

6. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

all depends on what we need

at worse

Paul-16/10ast

Howard 18/12rb

whichever guy they get i'll be happy

7. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

CP3 ain't gonna average 10 dimes with Asik.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Because he will only pass to asik. :rolleyes:

9. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Tons of his assists are from alley-oops to Jordan/Griffin. I think it's fair to say that his assists number will probably drop with Asik at 5. By how much, who knows.

10. jacoby

jacoby Member

Or it could remain the same/even increase due to the higher number of possessions we get every game due to our fast pace. Those fast breaks can net him 3-4 assists a night as well.

11. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

Exactly. Paul has always averaged a high number of assists even without lob city. He has a way of finding anyone and everyone to get a shot off, and with the high pace - if it remains high - will feast on assists.

12. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Can we get both guys? Earlier in the year, Dwight said that he and CP3 tried to get on the same team but it didn't work out. They've always wanted to play together. Could HOU be that destination?

13. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Member

Patrick Beverley showed true grit with his out of nowhere contribution this post season. Don't take away what he did just because his performance takes away from Lin's role at the pg position. They are both 24, the way I see it, it's still in the air as to who gets the Lions share of the minutes at the point--next season.

Beverley only rose his stock, Lin's stock didn't grow at all after this postseason.

And if we are going to land Chris Paul, he's commanding the max deal. It is safe to say that it wouldn't make sense for our 3rd highest paid player to be our 6th man.

I highly doubt Lin wants to come off the bench, either.
    That's called a demotion--if there ever was one

14. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Member

The only way is if we jettisoned Jeremy and Asik.

15. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Member

With the new CBA, it's almost impossible to to Max out 3 guys.

The best course of action is to try for CP3 or D12, this season.

Or stand pat, develop for another year, and take a swing at an all star PF, the likes of Kevin Love, Aldridge, or Chris Bosh in the 2014-2015 off season.

16. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I have yet to disparage Beverley's performance, so try not to lump me in with whatever group of people you have in mind there. Also, still haven't actually addressed any of the points made other than some vague point about Beverley's stock rising and Lin's going down. The front office and coaching staff are not going to make decisions based on Beverley's good 2.5 games, I'm sorry. There is a lot more objective data that shows that Lin is by far the better, more proven player.

Lin's contract is not ridiculous, particularly when you look at it from the perspective of how it affects the Rockets' salary cap. Lin isn't the third-highest player - he and Asik are tied because they have the exact same contract.

Another superstar signing doesn't push the team above the salary cap, so there's no reason to move any players unless Morey thinks he can get an overall upgrade in return. Pushing to get rid of Lin in the absence of any other such deal means that you either think he's just plain not worth his salary and want him dumped outright (gotta look out for Les's pocketbook!) or you have some sort of bias against Lin and just want him gone from the team regardless.

Lin may not want to come off the bench, but he's also proven that he's a team player and will do what is best for the team. Being a 6th man or a backup combo guard playing heavy rotation minutes is not the same thing as being a benchwarmer. Guys like James Harden, Manu Ginobli, and Lamar Odom have shown that you can actually be a very good, well-respected player without needing a "starter" role on the team.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would rather get Dwight Howard because I think we could just slot him into the current team and we instantly become a lot better, while still maintaining the same core. Dwight can start alongside Asik and play ~20 minutes per game with him. If you get CP3 you pretty much have to break up the current core, and Lin probably gets traded.

I like what we have now and I like what our team accomplished this season. I would rather Morey focus on improving it without blowing anything up.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/jrudolphsports">jrudolphsports</a> on if Dwight doesn't return to <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Lakers">#Lakers</a> (w/o hesitation): He'll end up with <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Rockets">#Rockets</a>--"I'll put the house on Houston"</p>&mdash; NBC Sports Radio (@NBCSportsRadio) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBCSportsRadio/status/331243745762766849">May 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 people like this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

CP3 is the more logical solution. We don't have a starting center problem. We have a back up center situation that could be handled through the draft, but other than that we are fine at that position. They need to get their moneys worth at the point.

20. kastuul

kastuul Member

CP3 has zero chance to leave LAC.
    He didn't promise because he wants another coach.

DH has 5% chance come to HOU.

He will re-sign with LAL because:
    1. His injury record make him wants a bigger contract.
    2. When he plays well, fans and media will change their attitudes and worship him.
    3. Even the Lakers struggled, they still have a better record than HOU in regular season.
    4. Lakers can pay luxury tax to upgrade their role players and bench.