1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Unbelievable Patrick Beverley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

wait ...where are all those posters that didn't think Beverly was anything special?

where are you?

2. Classic

Classic Member

[​IMG]

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As soon as Jeremy shut down, so did LOF's.

4. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

There is nothing special about beverly. But there is nothing special about Lin right now, either. We'll see how it all plays out, but there is more upside to Lin than Beverly.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Oh is that so? How do you determine there is more upside to Lin than BeverlEy?

6. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

My bad. I'm actually at work. So I'm alt-tabbing a lot.

A lot of it is subjective. And unfortunately there's no way of proving one way or another. Beverley also has a smaller sample size used to compare - which admittedly does sway my opinion against his favor. He has yet to have a "holy jeebus" game where he showcases his offensive talents. He hasn't been special. But he's been efficient. When playing with someone such as Harden, that's your job. You need to be efficient.

Lin has been average all year long. Yet, he's shown flashes of potentially being special. I don't think anyone can deny that.

And when i mention upside, I'm talking more the ability to be the go-to guy to score. Lin has that. Beverley thus far, has not shown me that.

The definition of upside can be cloudy. Lin, while having a greater upside to take over a game, is not as efficient nor is he as good a defender. As of now, Beverley is a more well rounded player and is a better fit for the Rockets imo. So if you want to argue that Bev has more upside, as designated by the other criteria, that is also perfectly valid. In fact, I'll say that unless Lin improves his shot and is more efficient, Beverley may very well have a better NBA career than Lin.

Not having the athletic ability of other high volume ball handlers, Lin better learn to be more efficient shooting, otherwise he may not last long. He'll be a poor mans JR Smith.

7. pnr

pnr Member

Beverley is a perfect role player

8. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

Hmm, how do you edit posts?

Originally, i didn't want to post here. Being from New York and a Giants fan, I got how annoyed when avid Ole Miss fans followed Eli Manning to our forums and put the player above the team. I was labeld one of those so called, Eli "realists"/haters. But recently seeing how freaking annoying Lin fans are, I had to at least butt in and set things right. Except now, I'm on the flip side of the coin.

But make no mistake, I'm a Lin fan. He's the only reason why I'm here. The trolls are easy to spot and weed out. But some of the Lin fans here drive me up the wall.

9. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

I'm still here. He ain't special unless special is injuring the other team's star player then yeah I'll say he's friggin damn special but if you're talking about basketball skills then no, he ain't special but neither is Lin. These two are average at best, caught in the whirlwind of LOF-LOH debacle that is plaguing clutchfans.net.

Guy averages 6 points in the regular season and 13 in the playoffs and fans are crowning him the next CP3, fricken unbeverlable.

#1429 nappdog, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  10. Fighton

Fighton Member

what's bev averaging over the past four games as a starter? 15 and 3 or something? for a starting pg? if this was lin's average for playoff games he would've been crucified, just as he did in game 1 (and justifiably so).

lin averaged 17 and 7 for a whole month. and averaged 13 and 6 for a season. sounds bad to say this but lin's average is the unbelievable beverley, since everyone is raving about beverley's production these past four games.

bev hasn't shown the ability to go 20 and 9 in 3 quarters, or even 17 and 7 for a whole month. he's role on the team is to play all out D, hit a few shots here and there when the shots were created for him, and rebound. he is not asked to create shots for others.

i really like bev.. love his energy, his confidence, and swagger. you can't take that away from him. he is very, very valuable to the team. but on a strictly basketball potential standpoint, i just don't see him being more than he is right now. not because i don't think he can grow as a player (he will), but because we haven't really seen any of the "wow" moments from him. you know what you're going to get with bev. lin is feast or famine.

so to you question about upside? lin probably has more based on his career so far. but which one is a better fit for the team as a pg? that's up to debate. l like what bev has shown so far, but we also can't discount what lin has done over 82 games, with a few eye popping game in there alongside james. remember the "best backcourt in the nba" headline a few days into the season?

11. bongman

bongman Member

I agree. Just like Lebron is perfect for his role in Miami

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

When you stop looking at what they averaged for the season, then you will see why Beverley is unbelievable.

13. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

It's unbelievable Morey can find a very capable role player and lock him up for 3 years.

No pick needed, no stash oversea on our part, and he just picked some else's fruit with a second round pick like contract. Thank other teams for picking him, developing him and making him ready for Morey.

Yet another reason why Morey gamble with his own pick for potential star quality - he can find good role players in second round or without picks.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

LOFs should stop looking soley at stats and watch the game. Our offense is much more tolerable with Bev controlling it than when Lin is. Period.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

perfect PG for a championship caliber team

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

fricken quote or link it

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

One thing i can say about Bev that i can't say about Lin is that he is consistent. You know when he steps on the floor that he is going to do everything. If he scores well, that would be a plus.
    But guess what? Next season he starts shooting better and he will have at least 6 games of NBA playoff experience under his belt. Jeremy Lin will not be able to compete.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hey, i like the sound of that.;)

19. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

There is one thing Beverly undeniably is the best at on the team: defense. So if you want to shut down the other team's best (hardest to guard) you need Beverly to start. For that reason, I like Lin running the second squad.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I was impressed with Beverley the first time I saw him play, which was in the D-League with the Vipers. However, I wasn't sure he could be the kind of player that could play starters minutes in the NBA. I viewed Beverley as the kind of player that provides a spark off the bench, someone that can change the pace of the game, someone that can play with great energy for a short period of time.

I'm now starting to see Beverley as a player that can be a starter. Beverley has played 167 minutes this series and has only 5 turnovers. He can handle the ball without turning it over. He's a PG that is averaging 6 rebounds per game in the playoffs. He's shooting 38% in 3 pointers. All very impressive stats for a guy that we had never heard of a few months ago. Furthermore, Beverley doesn't even look for his shot all that often, even though it appears he has some real ability to score. This tells me he has some upside to his game.

I'm not saying Beverley should be the starter, I don't really care who starts. But, Beverley has shown that he can play, and that on some nights he might be the best option at PG.