1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Weed Eater/Trimmer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So that it's not buried...

BUMP

Where did you get that? I need a trimmer/edger combo and would like to come out of it around $170 or less if that's possible. I realize Stihl is badass, but I just can't pay $400-$500 right now for a trimmer/edger.

For some reason CaseyH's posts were deleted. If anyone else has advice on a trimmer/edger for a decent price, please let me know.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go to a pawn shop.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I have an Echo srm-225 and I highly recommend it.
    You simply can't get a much more reliable trimmer
    than this one. You'll pay just a little more but they will
    last forever if you take care of them.

4. updawg

updawg Member

I agree. I bought an echo this year and its worth spending extra on a good weed eater.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

My echo is awesome. 3 years and running strong. You get what you pay for with lawn equipment. Try a homelight lol

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

try Dick Cheney brand weed killer

7. The Boz

The Boz Member

CaseyH's posts are still here. He changed his name from CaseyH to Bandwagoner.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed, and consider me a EOF. I have an old SRM210 that at one point sat in my garage for a few years. I flushed the tank, replaced the plug and filters, and put in fresh gas/oil mix and it started on the second pull. There's a reason that almost every landscaper either has a Stihl or an Echo.

I just replaced the old head with the RapidLoader head. Even though stringing the old bump feeder wasn't that much of a hassle, the new head is so easy... push in two 8 inch strings into holes on each side. So full of win.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Got a Black and Decker, corded trimmer/edger combo that has worked just fine for the 3-4 years I've had it. And it was under 100. Win-win.

10. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

My bong will definitely trim your weed

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Someone bumped my thread, so I guess I can update.

I ended up buying an Echo. It worked okay but it was hard to start.

About a month later, I traded it to a buddy for a new drum hardware case, sold my mower for $175 and gave my blower to my father in law. Now I pay for someone else to do my yard twice a month and it's never looked better. Screw the feeling of doing it yourself. :)

I did put some Weed and Feed on it about a month ago and it's now one of the nicest lawns in the neighborhood. Dark green, thick and healthy.

Bandwagoner (CaseyH) knows his stuff. My guys always mow on the highest setting and I hardly ever water. Lawn looks great.

12. VanityHalfBlack

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Exactly how I felt. My garage has room and I have weekends. Now I'm trying to see how cheap I can be about watering the lawn. So far, I've watered once since late October/Early November. Of course, I live in Dallas where the rain is much sexier than Houston rain.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I had one of those for a few years. Was a piece of ****.

15. likestohypeguy

A couple more years down the line, how's that working for you? I've found the problem with craftsman power equipment is their structural build quality- the engines seem to hold up fine, still running long after supports/handles/wheels have worked loose & falling apart. After years of craftsman loyalty, I've since found stihl & honda at least to be worth the premium.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Odd that you bring this up. It had been working great all this time. I agree about the structural thing and the engine. As long as you give them due maintenance, they work fine.

I was trying to do the weed eater part upside down to cut some shrubbery on my front lawn... and it locked up on me. :confused:

Someone told me that it was probably that the motor needed more stabilizer fluid. :( I forgot to add some to the tank BEFORE starting... and I think that's what did it. It was HOT, so I said I'd take a look at it again later, but I haven't checked it since Saturday. I'll let you know.

I will still buy another one just like it... I like the convertible convenience of having a bunch of things in one (that's what SHE said).

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Common Swoly step up to the Echo. The stabilizer won't help if the fuel is already old and nasty from sitting.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ If they have a convertible, I will. :cool: Good suggestion. Who sells the Echo?

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A number of independents sell Echo, but you can also buy them from Home Depot.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

i'll eat your weed