1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why In Hell Is Delfino Playing the PF Spot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I disagree, I think it works more often than that. We beat OKC and Brooklyn using a lot of small ball. It definitely works at times, and we should continue to use it at times.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rockets frontcourt combination stats(excluding tonight's game)

Asik-Delfino-Parsons: 414minutes, +90points
    Smith-Delfino-Parsons: 215minute, +74points

If you extrapolate that to 48 minute games at Rockets pace, that's better than 72-win Bulls.

3. joesr

joesr Member

hahaha 1 star thread!

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Chris Finch. And we win a lot going small. It works according to this: http://www.82games.com/1213/1213HOU2.HTM

5. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

yes because the celtics care soo much about the houston rockets. lol

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

According NBA WOWY (With Or Without You):

Code:
    4th and OT

[B]+Harden+Parsons+Delfino[/B]
    min  poss   off   def    net
    220  436   118.9 103.3  +15.6

[B]+Harden+Parsons-Delfino[/B]
    min  poss   off   def    net
    139  259   115.1 108.1  +7.0

Where +PlayerA1+PlayerA2... -PlayerB1-PlayerB2... means PlayerA1, PlayerA2, etc. are on the floor and PlayerB1, PlayerB2, etc. are off the floor.

Small sample of course, but generally the Rockets have done well in 4th quarters with the Harden, Parsons, and Delfino trio (which only appear in our "small ball" lineups).

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Clearly we should try going big with Harden at the point. We keep our most productive trio on the floor, we still have size in the frontcourt, and Lin fans still get to complain about McHale benching Lin.

Everybody wins.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Basketball-reference.com says that for the entire season, lineups with Harden, Parsons, and Delfino have outscored the opponent when on the floor in 27 games. They've been outscored only in 15 games. More evidence that, in general, small ball with Delfino at the PF has generally worked in our favor.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The team loves small ball, despite the fact that it leaves us at a defensive liability and the fact that we often shoot away leads when they try it.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Where have you been?

11. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

The Bleacher Report has a good analysis of our defensive liability using the small ball lineup with stats.

I know quite a few fans here would sneeze at it, so I didn't even bother to mention it.

12. Nook

Nook Member

It may not seem like it should work, but it does... The advanced statistics show it works am overwhelming majority of the time.

13. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

the coach has racial issues. The closer to white the more playing time you get. Jones should be playing the four.

14. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

He's been hurt you dip****

15. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

According to that logic, Jeremy should be playing 48 minutes over Beverly.

*rolls eyes*

16. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Small ball (WTF)?

McHale has unconditional love for his small balls. I don't care if it sounds gay. I've given credit to McHale for our players development but his in game management and rotation is one of the worst in the league. I can't even count how many games we've lost because opposite teams getting all the offensive rebound and 2nd chance points in the final 5 min. Last night Asik should be in late especially after they sit Scola. Some of you might say Phoenix went small that's why we matched their line up. **** that. Since when you want our opponents to dictate the game? I say we create mismatch let them adjust to ours. After last Spurs game where McHale was brilliant late in the game, I thought he has learned how to coach. Well I guess he hasn't really. I hope he won't come back next season.

1 person likes this.
  17. arjun

arjun Member

um..our offense is usually best when we go small.

mchale plays small to facilitate our offense when it gets stagnate ...i promise you he hates playing like this..if it was up to him we would have a superstar center/pf who we could play through.

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I agree, this team seems to think going small gives us advantages even when we get dominated by a aging Luis Scola on the boards.

It is one of the reasons that we should all have low expectations in the playoffs regardless of opponent, our coaching staff gets baited into small ball (or they just really love seeing Parsons and Delfino out on the floor together) and we get beat either due to poor defense, shot selection and interior prescience.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

More like tiny ball at the end last night. Not a fan.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Do some research and you might be shocked to find out what the Rockets best lineups have been all season long.