1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Larry Coon] Houston cap situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Apr 3, 2013.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Guess he's not that optimistic and I'm not that sure, because I can easily see us not keeping anybody on that list but Chandler which means we could go after one star big man and the roster is set. That's why I rather Morey stays patient, see what comes available in a possible trade and maybe improve but not use all the cap room.

2. valorita

valorita Member

I swear,
    If white's contract is the difference between us being able to offer the max and not...
    Can someone find a way that we can void his contract and then ban him from the nba?

3. basketballholic

It's very simple. If Dwight wants to come here, we trade away Asik for a future pick. There's your cap space.

There's a myriad of ways to get the cap space to sign Dwight to a max deal without giving up Harden/Parsons/Lin/Beverley/DMo/GSmith.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wow I was under the assumption that we had plenty of room for one max contract.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Lakers will not let Howard go for free. It's going to be sign and trade if that ever happens. In that case, Rockets will have enough cap space to sing him Max.

However, there is not enough good reasons for Howard to leave LA.

6. basketballholic

We do. And we have the ability to create enough cap room to sign both Dwight and Chris Paul outright.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Lol what? He's an unrestricted free agent. If he bolts he leaves for free.

8. choujie

choujie Member

Even if he decides to leave, it's good for him to do a sign and trade for more money. That's how it works nowadays.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It all depends on Dwight. If he decides he is coming to Houston anyway, then the Lakers will agree to a sign and trade where we can send them Asik and a PF, while declining Garcia's option.

If he doesn't want to come, then no need to worry as there are no other MAX-worthy FA's on the market.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not sure if he's factoring in that the cap will go up this summer.

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Howard gets more money if Lakers agree to S&T him, so it's win/win if he is going to leave anyways.

The only benefit of having a max contract of space is Howard, if he chooses to, can use that as leverage if the Lakers have absolutely no interest in trading him, he can just say fine, I'll just sign outright w/ Houston.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dwight does not get more money or years by doing a S&T. That was the old CBA.

Dwight gets the same money from a S&T as he does if he were to just sign with another team (with the cap room to sign him).

5 years ~117 million with LAL.
    4 years ~88 million everywhere else.

#12 J.R., Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I thought sign and trades were no longer allowed under the new CBA. I am wrong about that?

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is a fairly disingenuous comment from Coon (a Lakers fan, FWIW), because he doesn't address the ease of a "Marcus Morris deal". That is, trading a young first-round pick under contract for a future pick to clear space. Jones, Motiejunas and even White all fit this criteria. (Robinson too, but I'm guessing the Rockets hold him in a higher regard with their future plans.) There are tons of bottom feeders with cap room that would give up a future second-round pick, like Phoenix did with Morris, for a perceived first-round talent.

The bottom line is that the Rockets will be close enough to Howard's max that they can easily create that last bit of room, should Howard decide on Houston. It wouldn't even be necessary to deal Asik.

1 person likes this.
  15. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

So much incorrect knowledge about the CBA these days. There is NO benefit to S&T anymore. No extra year.

16. choujie

choujie Member

Maybe. I'm not aware of that, didn't read those new rules.

17. choujie

choujie Member

Thanks for the information.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>No need to freak out about @<a href="https://twitter.com/larrycoon">larrycoon</a> blog today saying Rockets don't have cap room to sign Dwight Howard. We knew this already. How-EVAH...</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/319575046576291840">April 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>...If the Rockets dangled Thomas Robinson for a 2nd rounder, I'm pretty sure HOU would have the needed cap room pretty quick. cc: @<a href="https://twitter.com/larrycoon">larrycoon</a></p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/319575491159928832">April 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>By the way, I'm by no means advocating "dumping" TRob. Just saying that creating "Dwight room" is completely doable.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/319575745267630080">April 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They are allowed, but they don't get the same raise and maximum number of years that a free agent could get by staying with the incumbent team.

1 person likes this.
  20. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Thanks for the info.