1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale has finally broken the camel's back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pollaxt, Apr 1, 2013.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is a point that has been ignored... i have been all over Mchale on this board and went as far as wanting him fired but he made the best decision possible. Blame Link/Asik not coming back in the game on the trainers. The trainers decided to ice the legs early.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

so you tell me he trusts his backups more than his starters? he didn't give his starters a chance to win memphis game even we were within 10 pts. what excuse your guys found for him.

i've never denied he deserves all wins. this is not the topic we are discussing here. here i am discussing his move near the end of the game. if you're on his side regarding that move, there is no way we can continue to argue.

3. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

They're like zombies man - limited brain function but they keep coming and coming...

4. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Let's gang up on Torocan and defend McHales coaching in the fourth! It's a bad coaching move, 4 more minutes would not kill Asik or Lin. And Lin and Asik need just as much experience in finishing out games, probably much much more so. The horrible logic you guys are using is I'm hoping based on an uncontrollable desire to hate on Lin or Lin fans not your actual views on basketball 101. Ill hope that this is true.

1 person likes this.
  5. JamesBearden13

IMO, I'm really happy McHale finally showed trust in his bench. He usually sticks with his starters and you rarely see the bench late in games. I was just upset the Magic made it a game and we couldn't see Brooks or Jones check in.

6. torocan

torocan Member

It's called probability. How many Ware like injuries have there been in the History of the NCAA tournament? Oh right, one. Ware.

The probability of being injured like Ware is extremely remote. The odds of an opponent scoring 2 points on a possession in the NBA is 40-50% (FG%)... in other words, a coin flip.

We were 1.5 games behind GSW for the 6th seed. Do you really think that it's a good risk to take a 50/50 shot on turning this into a one possession game? It's simple mathematics.

And that's assuming both teams are matched at their best... which they weren't. The entire time the bench was in the game they were being outplayed by the Magic. Outplayed badly enough that they lost substantial portions of 15-20 point leads on 3 separate occasions.

This is why it's a bad gamble. If you want the bench to get late game experience do it late in the season once our play off seeding is locked. Otherwise, you might as well start betting your savings on coin flips.

2 people like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you are a real Lin fan you would want Lin to play the fewest minutes possible while the Rockets are winning until the playoffs start where he will have fresh legs.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So let me get this straight.

People defend McHale for giving the starters extended rest by trusting the bench to close out the game.

You claim that people are only defending this because they have uncontrollable hate for Jeremy Lin and Lin fans.

Great logic.

9. conquistador#11

it goes both ways. =/

10. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

If McHale is going to continue doing this into the playoffs, against an elite team, then Rockets aren't going to get very far. Lin and Asik, along with Harden and Parsons, should be closing out games, not the 2nd unit. Let your starters get the crunch-time experience now so they are ready to do it in the playoffs.

11. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

No way, you disagree with the coach AND you agree with Torocan? Who could have guessed this shocking turn of events... Does basketball 101 say to put guys on the floor after sitting for 25+ minutes of real time? What do you do with your 6th grade girls basketball team? Enlighten us already!!

12. prs325

prs325 Member

The win tonight is certainly a reflection of our players, not McHale's coaching strategy.

13. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Right on, idiots who are saying our bench needs the experience very well realize that our starters need the experience too!!! Heck much more so as playoffs are closing in! Zero logic from the drones. LOFs are zombies? Look at yourselves in the mirror.

14. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

If it were a coin flop.

Our chances of scoring the same amount of points would also be, oh wait for it, a ****ing coin flop.

So they having to score 7 points in a row and us not scoring. Wait a second. A coin flop times a coin flop to the power of 3.

A lot of ****ing coin flops.

1 person likes this.
  15. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think we can all agree that McHale made a risky decision. We won yes but that doesn't make it any less of a risk.

16. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I agree. I had similar feeling. I am not a "fire McFail" guy but tonight really pissed me off. It would suck if Sampson took a head coaching gig somewhere else and we were left with McHale. I really like Sampson and I'm getting tired of McHales bs. I don't want to put it on his loss but it's hard not to feel for him at the same time.

Go Rockets

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

So McHale doesn't get enough blame when things are bad? I'm a little confused here.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I knew there is going to be some idiots posting thread like this...but it's not a big deal really. Orlando sucks and they don't scare nobody.

19. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

I think its funny that everyone that has bad things to say "what if" "it could have"... Well 1.) we won the game 2.) bench got to finish game and gain experience they'll need moving forward 3.) Limited time for players we'll have to count on (Asik and Lin)

20. deedee82

deedee82 Member

Totally agree with this. Would rep if i could. Keep the posts coming Torocan. Its an oasis in a desert many a times.