1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Magic @ Rockets 4/1/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Calmwater

Calmwater Member

happens all the time

so your point?

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Good win nonetheless. Yes it got dicey towards the end a little too close-- thats why starters are starters and bench players aren't starting. But in a way, McHale told the bench to close it out and grow a pair and they did. Could he have put the starters back in? yes..and he probably would've if the game was against Miami or the Spurs or another playoff team but he probably figured since it's a home game against a sub-par team, the Rockets bench SHOULD be able to close it out if they have any hopes for the playoffs--and his gamble paid off.

End rant
    End debate
    Who cares
    LOFs go away
    LOHs go away
    I don't care about DMo this or Greg Smith that.

Rockets win baby--thats all that matters.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Man, D-Mo and TRob just don't look ready. I think D-Mo will eventually be a solid NBA player, but it may take a couple of years. TRob, I just don't know. I don't remember seeing someone miss so many 1 foot shots.

But, Greg Smith, it looks like all the pieces are falling into place for this guy. If he continues to improve he's going to be a big part of the Rockets future.

4. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

In conclusion of tonight, I think Mchale underestimated his opponents, and did a poor job on rotation as usual and almost lost us the game.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You're the guy who said the first quarter doesn't determine the fourth quarter tow games ago. Now you're arguing that the beginning of the fourth quarter predicts the end of the fourth quarter. In short, you don't know whether you want to predict the future based on past experience or not. Put together some principles of thought, man.

6. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I don't know which has the higher risk. To sub in the better players with just a couple minutes left in a two possessions game when both clearly cooled off or to stick with the crew that had not been succeeded on the offensive end all quarter.

I believe Coach would have put them back into the game if it was a game that we would have to score to win. Since the lead was still there and playing defense would have sealed the deal, I might do the same as well, i.e. to keep the players on the floor and have them toughed it out. It's not like they got burned on the defensive end all quarter, they just could not score effectively.

7. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Agreed. McHail rolling the dice, but with just around 3 minutes and with a piss poor team it was probably the right gamble.

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

smith could be our low post threat but i have to see how he does it against those real starters.

9. vorpal

vorpal Member

Who was it who had that statistic that said: most coaches don't have an effect on players, but bad coaches lose games that ought to be won?

10. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Don't hate me for telling the truth, I am a Rockets fan not a LOF. I want Rockets to play in the playoff.:)

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yeah this is pretty standard for coaches to do isn't it? But it's still a win so no need to dwell over it imo. In the end the bench got some experience.

12. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Jesus H Christ!! What is up with this "shut up we won don't you dare complain about McHale" line you guys are sticking to. This is not even about Lin or Asik. This is about a bad coaching decision. An unnecessary gamble considering our playoff position. Come on guys, what are you guys, the Gestapo? McHale is untouchable if we win? How come Lon doesn't get the same magic win protection? Smh. You guys are tripping hard.

Anyways, good win y'all. Smith was great, Asik was a monster today and I loved the defense these lady couple of games. Our bench plays with a lot of defensive energy. Love it. Loved out bigs today. Hope to see Harden Oarsons back healthy and rested! On to the next game!!

13. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

So this settles it, Harden and Chandler should come off the bench imo.

LoLz jk but seriously that was an unnecessary last minute panic attack Coach McHale and the bench gave me! the hell was that?
    They just coasted away the big lead the starters got, not cool. But the bench has been very productive recently so I can forgive this little mishap.
    I am annoyed with McHale though, he should've called a timeout way sooner.

That Omer+Lin connection tonight though, omg. Beautiful game by both.
    Also the unsung hero of the last two games: Francisco Garcia. I love this dude. Great veteran presence.

Why wasn't Chandler on the bench? that must be one brutal hangover.

14. cmellon

cmellon Member

Can you name me a game where Rocket's lead is in danger, and McHale sits all the starters in the fourth? (Harden, Lin, Asik)

15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

He's a great pick n' roll defender but not one on one, in my opinion.

it's like he's rushing everything. even a simple layup

16. Calmwater

Calmwater Member

You forgot another species.... its called LOT Lin only troll, a species that happen when LOF and LOH have babies togehter in a dirty dirty way:grin::grin:

17. trock

trock Member

I'm just glad we can win with our starters or win with our bench, but McHale shouldn't have prematurely treated this as a blowout. Wish he would've went with a normal rotation and got the starters in in the fourth until the win was secured. By the time it got down to 5, it's a toss up with Lin and Asik sitting so long.

It is funny how the "let them finish and learn how to win" crowd and the "go with who is having a better game" crowd completely flips based who the subject of debate is. Funny board.

18. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes: They all play hard for him and respect him. They could have rolled over after the Pacers game but didn't. McHale deserves some credit for than. I didn't have an issue with him rolling with his bench, they held on and won and the starters are rested.. A win-win situation. McHale has handled the last 2.5 games exceptionally well.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

Nobody is disagreeing with that. But my big issue is that this is down the stretch & a time where you don't want to take risks. McHale is stubborn & when he makes a mistake & then later realizes it is wrong instead of just making the substitution he doubles down on his decision & this game is one of the many indications of that.

20. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Eh, neither could Asik, until this game miraculously. T-Rob is either too nervous, or has way too much energy and needs to be controlled. For example, always going up for a 1 handed jam, when he should just use 2 hands.

He also puts the ball on the floor like Asik, giving the D time to crowd him.

But damn if he doesn't have the tools to be a top 5 defensive player in this league. I think we lost that lead because McHale subbed him out.