1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Missing U: Patrick Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 23, 2013.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

I would argue that when he gets minutes, he produces. Hard to show what you can do without consistent minutes. Even 2Pat is an example of that. Tobias Harris formerly of the Bucks and now of the Magic. He isn't suddenly better. He knows he has consistent minutes coming every game and he can go out and play his game. He gets to play through his mistakes now. Point is you don't really know what you have until you give them a chance to succeed or fail. I think Robinson has been contributing consistently in the meager minutes he has been given whether it's defense, rebounding, or scoring.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Hilarious. They're rookies. They're gonna be inconsistant. The trade wasn't about this year. It was about the future. Patience folks.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that OP should be commended for waiting and enduring several weeks of your BS before posting that intervention thread. unfortunately it seems there is little that your fellow clutchfans posters can do for you -- you need professional help. maybe call up the dr. fink..

5. Carl Herrera

It's mostly the other way around: when he produces, he gets minutes. When he makes a series of mistakes and looks overmatched (like when Robinson gave up two wide open 3s to Boris Diaw and turned the ball over in a string of consecutive plays last game), he gets pulled fast and doesn't get many minutes.

The same also works with Jeremy Lin, btw.

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

If it was only expressing an opinion no one would care, its the constant bashing and whining in every single thread all day every day.

7. Carl Herrera

Yeah, really showing restraint there:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=235665

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Patterson discussion has slowed down by the time that either of these threads was posted. It's funny actually, but it's usually not me who bring up the topic lately. Apparently some other people want to discuss the issue from one perspective or another.

Whatever, keep getting angry at me if you want. The facts are what they are-- Patterson was efficient with HOU and has kept on being efficient (114 ORtg before the deal, 123 after) while Robinson is generally inefficient (90 ORtg before the deal, 88 after) while showing flashes in some game. Motiejunas has also struggled after a few good games when he first got minutes.

The trade has made the team worse this year and only has a limited possibility of payoff in the future.

8. vator

Yeah but he did other positive things before that. For one he was rebounding the ball. Fact is he has a short leash as in he doesn't play if the game is close most of the time no matter what he does when he comes in the first time. Blowouts on the other hand are a different story. If he were in a situation where he was allowed to play through his mistakes, I think the net result at the end of the game is a guy that will give you 11 and 9 in 32 minutes. Per minute, he produces similarly to a JJ Hickson or Faried already. Being in a playoff push kind of makes it hard to endure his growing pains.

9. vator

Doesn't help that a lot of his minutes are played with the rest of the backups.

10. Carl Herrera

ORtg (which accounts for shooting from the field, FT, TOs, ORebs, assists, etc. and measured in points per 100 possessions):

JJ Hickson: 114
    Faried: 116
    Robinson: 90 (88 with the Rockets).

Robinson has rebounded well, but has otherwise mostly struggled to be effective. There is a good reason why coaches don't give him a lot of important minutes.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yes, and that thread was also already several weeks into your trollapalooza of this forum.

btw, your mancrush has 0 points on 0-3 shooting so far tonight :)

12. Carl Herrera

The other backups don't have 88 ORtg.

13. Carl Herrera

Patterson is helping his team to a 11-point lead over the GS team that just beat HOU by 30.

Everyone has an 0-3 stretch, it's what you do overall that counts. Patterson has been objectively much more efficient both before and after the trade.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

patterson has a 0 +/- right now. in fact he's the only player on the kings not to have a positive +/- (other than the kings players who haven't played in tonights game :grin: )

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

oh wait, pattypat just got an offensive tip-in.....you can now officially fap.

16. Carl Herrera

Single game +/- means little, let alone partial game +/-.

Honestly, I get that some people are bothered about me posting too frequently about this topic. However, I am confused that you are among them. It seems that you rather like to talk about it.

17. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

TRob is playing alright the last few games though. Maybe he won't start this season but I see him gaining minutes the rest of this season and probably starting the next season.

18. vator

That's fair, but as a guy who at this point would likely do better playing off of guys who can create shots for him, being in the game with Smith, Bev, Delfino and Garcia is not doing him any favors. It's not like Faried and Hickson are that good at creating their own offense. They play off the other guys on their team. I believe that rating would go up with more playing time and the other guys around him developing chemistry with him. No doubt Patterson is a better scorer, not arguing that, but I don't think the Rockets would suddenly be one of the lowest scoring teams in the NBA with Robinson playing more minutes. They would adjust.

#578 vator, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

patty back down to a -2 +/- now :(

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Your point would be valid if the Rockets were in win now mode but they're not. Or if this move knocked us out of playoff contention but it hasn't.