1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Higher Upside? Motiejunas or Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Mar 22, 2013.

?

Who has the higher upside?

1. Donatas Motiejunas

202 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Thomas Robinson

175 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Similar upside

80 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

-And they both need to stay consistent.

2. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Could we just give DMo Trob's athleticism and call it a day?

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Both have great potential but fully developed I think D-Mo would be the better player.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe they should send DMo to the Argentine NT training. All those dudes hustle... and can flop.

Seriously, in terms of pure potential, Motiejunas should be the choice. He is taller, more skilled, and about as quick as Robinson. The only facet of the game DMo definitely won't be better than Robinson is rebounding. Rebounding is an inborn thing and can only be improved marginally.

5. kuku

kuku Member

The problem with TRob is he is almost the same player he was in college. He seems like he has the drive and work ethic.

I just hope it's due to Kings organization than TRob being a slow learner. If it's latter, we are looking at 2-3 years minimum before he can blossom into his fullest potential. If he doesn't develop much under Rockets within the next year (trade deadline), Morey will trade him for a pick and take his loss.

6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

actually Trob can dribble, and pass.. what games are you watching

Its DMO who is a subpar shooter, and just camps out on the 3 point line, he had this problem in Europe as well. I dont see anything special with DMo, just another Euro who camps out and shoots 3's all day

TRob can rebound, block shots, is quicker, and i think works harder in practice. I mean he has improved each game( that shows work ethic to me). DMo has been flat since he put up 19 againist the scrub Morris twins and the Suns

7. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

its obvious TRob works hard, look at how much better he has gotten since he first got here. Each game he is getting better, his free-throw stroke i thought even looked better last game

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Member

On Nba.com he's listed at 6'10" but not knowing just watching comparing him to other players I remarked he looked shorter than other PFs. A tad less than 6'8" is small for the position.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Technically, he is coached to camp at the 3 point line and shoot 3s. Motiejunas can shoot (probably why he is starting instead of Robinson) but he has the most developed set of post moves on the team, he is just asked to not use them since our offense is tied to either Harden/Lin/Parsons driving or shooting 3s with the occassional pass into the interior when they are defended there.

Honestly, both are raw in certain aspects, Motiejunas needs to bulk up so that he isn't knocked down when he does go into the paint for rebounds or to score. Robinson lacks the outside shot the team wants and even the standard mid range shot most PFs need to be effective outside the paint along with just really raw skills.

Either could develop into a great player or potential all star, we just have to hope they develop in our system to be such.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

This has been discuss many times......

So to make it clear to everyone, 6'7.75 is essentially 6'8, so with shoes he's a legit 6'9. Most players on average gain an inch and half with shoes.

Two notable examples: (combine measurements)

Blake Griffin
    6'8.5 w/t out shoes - 6'10 w/t shoes

Kevin Love
    6'7.75 w/t out shoes - 6'9.5 w/t shoes

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

No way to tell at this point. Both seem to be high IQ players with the drive to get better.

What I love about Robinson is we finally have someone besides Asik that we can put in the game and know he will get his share of contested rebounds. That was a huge hole in our rotation before the trade. Hes got very good form on his J...he just needs to get more consistent. I don't see why he cant improve that like Patterson did. Good ball handling, and good passing skills. At Kansas, he was 'the man', so he rounded out his game to help the team. Right now he's adjusting to being a roll player, but a few times every game you see where he still has the skills and persona of 'the man'.

DMo, is exactly what everyone has already pointed out....a highly skilled but inconsistent 7 footer. It would have been better if he came off the bench for awhile and played in the post, but that wasn't going to happen after the Patterson/TRob trade.

I've got a feeling that we won't sign any PFs this summer. It just doesn't seem like a Morey type move to sign a vet to a long term contract unless he's a bonafide all-star. It would significantly impare the value of 2 of DMo, TRob, or TJones. OTOH, I could see us trading a few of these guys for Aldridge or Love if they become available.

12. DBRox

DBRox Member

Its hard to compare the two since they both bring something different and its unfair to measure their progress as well. I think that we should treat the development of TRob as if he is just coming out of the draft. I really don't think Sac spent much effort developing him. DMo on the other hand has had that advantage so to compare them on where they are in those terms are not really fair. I really want to see what they both bring and can't wait to see what they got in summer league going into next season. They look like they both work hard so definitely something to be excited about.

13. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Dmo's nice but he isn't explosive enough. A guy like him gets winded real easy.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

And that's a major downside to DMo that TRob doesn't have. Big men can improve their jump shot and defense, but not their rebounding. The only one I could find that has is Dirk, who improved his rebound % from a DMo-like 9.5 and 9.7 in his first two years to a respectable 14.8 in 06/07.

15. jocar

jocar Member

Robinson's ceiling = Pistons Rodman
    DMo's = Trailblazers Sabonis
    TJones = Big Al

one can only dream :grin:

16. SeabrookMiglla

i like both, they really are different kind of players (DMO offence and Trob defense) so even if both pan out, it depends on what element you need more.they both have things that the other player will probably never have. although to answer your question, IMO TRob has more upside. but i like both players, and hope they succeed. i wanna see tjones come up also. one of them will work out.

17. destined2win

destined2win Member

Interesting statement just I do not agree with this, the same thing like to say you can teach Chaq make free trows .....

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

I think its too close to call between the 2 now. Maybe cuz I WANT T-Rob to have the high upside. Both he and Motiejunas have a semi-low floor too, T-Rob can be a like a rich man's Jeff Adrien, Motiejunas like David Andersen. Both are mobile for their size, they're not Yao and Scola trudging up the court.

Motiejunas doesnt have base strength. But he's got some upside to getting boards. In Euroleague when he was asked to, he was very good in getting rebounds there. Had the well known record breaking rebounding game there, which punched his ticket the NBA.

He got just about double digit rebound average in the D-league as well, ranked 12th averaging the same amount as Terrence Jones
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/statisti...AME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All Teams

He wont be a glass cleaner, but can do respectable 7.5/8.5 rbs a game. He can improve on the outside stroke too, though they gotta start getting him in the paint where he's got some finesse but good low post moves.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

If you mean actual free throw percentage, no. T-Rob is ATROCIOUS from the line, as bad as can be allowed.

If you mean he can draw more fouls than D-Mo to GET free throws, yeah slight edge there cuz he plays a more physical game.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

We have to use our cap space on an all-star. I wouldn't use it for SF nor PF. At PF, we have 2 or 3 players that can be pretty good, and on rookie contracts. Get a PG, SF, or C, having an awesome backup. If we don't get a star C, we should also bring in somebody like Dalembert as backup C.