1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting McHale article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JustAGuy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere...

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/03/20/fred-davis-my-15-minutes-with-mchale/

Most interesting part to me:

For 15 minutes, Kevin McHale, whether he meant to or not, gave me an unfiltered look at the NBA, his team and why certain things work and others don’t. It’s a process he said, getting this team to buy in to playing defense. They didn’t learn it in college, because most of these guys left early. The point he made though was simple, that every day, the work was being put in. At one point in the lesson, he put his forefinger and thumb together with virtually no space between the two and said “you see this? How much is that?”

“Not very much,” I said.

“It’s just a little bit, and that’s how much we try to improve every day,” he said. “I didn’t start shooting jumpers at 21, I started shooting them at 12, and I shot ‘em everyday,” referencing his own basketball skills, and the work it took to hone them to the Hall of Fame level they eventually became.

“This isn’t going to happen overnight.”

1 person likes this.
  2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

That's the kind of guy you want coaching a young team. You want someone that's going to teach these guys how to play, how to be a professional, how to be a winner.

It's why I don't get too caught up over minutes or substitution patterns or frankly even Xs and Os. I'll worry about that when we have a team that I expect to make noise in the playoffs. That's when you want a coach like Adelman.

Right now we just need someone to lay the foundation.

3. Arthurprescott2

Would have liked it better if McHale had slapped him.

4. j3i

j3i Member

At one point in the lesson, he holds his hand out to me asks “What did the five fingers say to the face?"

"Beg pardon?" I asked.

*SLAP*

5. Habs

Habs Member

I like how it mentioned Sports Radio 610. Coaches are choosy with how they respond.

If that shirt had said "CNN" or "MSNBC", coaches tend to be a lot more respectful, and careful in their response.

6. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

In McHale's case, I highly doubt that is true.

7. arjun

arjun Member

so.....what did mchale say for those 15 minutes?

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

McHale keeps stressing something that many Clutchfans don't seem to understand. This is the first year of the rebuilding process. Young players can't learn everything at once. Jeremy Lin, Parsons, Harden, almost all our players still have a lot of learning to do, and it can't all be done in one year. When the Rockets have a bad game I wish Clutchfans would try to understand that it's all part of the learning process and that these players will get better with time. McHale has done a remarkable job so far.

3 people like this.
  9. arjun

arjun Member

agreed..but the effort should always be there. no excuse to not bring 100% effort.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Sure there is... long season, lots of travel, back-to-backs, family stresses, mental fatigue, etc.

Even the best Jordan team lost two in a row to teams they should have pounded.

There's no excuse for consistently poor effort, but I think you could argue there is an excuse for occasionally not meeting 100%, especially on a young team that probably has not yet developed all the tools to deal with a full NBA season plus playoffs.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Mchale is a good coach. He might not be the expert when it comes to x's and o's but for this young team I think it is vital to have a no nonsense yet postive attitude type leader like Mchale.

12. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Coach McHale really knows how to talk.

13. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Thank you for posting this, OP.

14. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

As expected, Coach McHale knows what to say to get people to trust him. Anyone that's around him - even by just watching his interviews and media interactions - gets the feeling that they're talking to someone who has a plan, even if he's not going to tell you.

But I've always been wary of these used-car salesmen type of people. The dictators and politicians of this world talk big, but act small. By all means he seems like an amazing motivator, and has that quality about him that makes him seem more personable, relatable to your status. But we'll see in the playoffs what kind of coach he really is.

15. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

What kind of nonsense is this? If we don't win a playoff series with this roster, McHale can't coach?

And used-car salesman? I don't know if I've ever heard the son of an iron miner from a small town in Northern MN called snake oil and compared to a used car salesman... If that's your read on him, your intuition is ****ing horrible.

16. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Seriously! By that logic we'll have a lot of unemployed NBA coaches in the off-season, like about 3/4. Hey maybe they can all play musical chairs like the NFL coaches. :rolleyes:

17. Habs

Habs Member

He's smart enough to know how to treat sports radio talk differently from a worldwide news leader.

The thing you notice is, unless the game is a big news story (the Finals, Linsanity, something record breaking that the news can run with), CNN and MSNBC are never there. But if you watch those conferences where there is a CNN and MSNBC reporter, the GM or Coach answering is usually very careful in choosing their words or respond a lot more intelligently. It's something that I've definitely noticed in the past. A lot of NBA Execs, coaches, players, when they're asked to be on a CNN segment, they don't say no. And they take it very seriously when on (when they've appeared on Larry King etc.)

18. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Seriously, who pissed in your Cheerios? Just because I'm withholding judgement on McHale until the playoffs, I get emotional posters like you up in arms about their favorite coach?

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Learn2quote

But yeah, including someone with dictators and politicians is a pretty innocuous thing to do... Can't see why anyone would take offense to such a nice comparison.

20. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

You're just reinforcing the stereotype that LOFs lack originality and have poor grammar.

For shame.

1 person likes this.