1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ed Reed's impact on the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by G0 R0CKETS, Mar 21, 2013.

1. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Less than two months after earning his first Super Bowl ring, veteran safety Ed Reed will reportedly leave the only team he has played for during his illustrious 11-year career and join another AFC heavyweight, the Houston Texans.

The Texans have been looking to fill the void created when safety Glover Quin signed with the Detroit Lions earlier in the free-agency period, and no team courted Reed more proactively.

The move can be examined in the context of how Reed -- seven years older than Quin -- physically compares to Quin at this point in his career, but that would be ignoring the intangible values that Reed brings from a leadership and communication standpoint.

While Reed may not match Quin's athletic ability these days, the veteran safety makes the Texans a better football team and will help keep Houston among the AFC's elite.

To read the rest of the article on if the Houston Texans are better with Ed Reed, you must be an ESPN Insider.

Anyone an insider who can post the rest of this? If this needs to be merged into the ed reed signs with texans thread feel free to do so mods.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

You could have included a link. :p

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...ee-agency-how-ed-reed-improves-houston-texans

Ed Reed's impact on the Texans

March 20, 2013

Less than two months after earning his first Super Bowl ring, veteran safety Ed Reed will reportedly leave the only team he has played for during his illustrious 11-year career and join another AFC heavyweight, the Houston Texans.

The Texans have been looking to fill the void created when safety Glover Quin signed with the Detroit Lions earlier in the free-agency period, and no team courted Reed more proactively.

The move can be examined in the context of how Reed -- seven years older than Quin -- physically compares to Quin at this point in his career, but that would be ignoring the intangible values that Reed brings from a leadership and communication standpoint.

While Reed may not match Quin's athletic ability these days, the veteran safety makes the Texans a better football team and will help keep Houston among the AFC's elite.

Here's an overview of how Reed will impact Houston:

Alignment -- Reed is a natural free safety -- perhaps the greatest ever to play in the NFL -- and often was aligned to the open side of the formation in Baltimore (opposite of where the tight end was aligned). But in any NFL defense, safeties will have interchangeable responsibilities throughout the course of a game, and Reed can also align to the strong side and in the box as a run defender. He'll be asked to do exactly that in Houston, where defensive coordinator Wade Phillips relies on his safeties to play both spots.

Skills -- Reed's athletic skills have diminished, but he's no liability. He still has fluid hips to turn and run in space, and has a long stride to cover ground against the downfield passing game. He's an extremely willing tackler who will lead with his shoulder and drive through receivers coming over the middle, and he's a good second-level run defender. While he can't cover the same ground that he used to, Reed still can be a playmaker for a defense.

What has separated him from other free safeties throughout his career has been his combination of rare defensive instincts and ball skills. Reed is a tremendous pattern read safety who understands offensive concepts and also isn't afraid to take calculated risks. Combine his anticipation skills with reliable hands and a unique ability to track the football in flight, and Reed remains a productive pass defender (Pro Football Focus rated Reed as its 17th-best pass coverage safety in 2012; Quin ranked 66th, while fellow Texans starter Danieal Manning was 41st). Reed's range has been limited as he has grown older, but his nose for the football and technical approach to the game allowed him to remain an integral part of Baltimore's secondary.

As it relates to Quin, Reed offers less versatility as a coverage player. Quin was valued highly by Detroit as a player who could ably defend the pass and run not only as a safety, but could also flex out in man coverage and pick up either slot receivers or tight ends aligned on the perimeter of the formation. Reed is best when operating from the middle of the field, whereas Quin can be utilized from multiple spots pre-snap.

For example, in the Texans' season-ending loss to the New England Patriots in the playoffs, Quin was called upon at times to match versatile tight end Aaron Hernandez when he aligned at different spots on the offensive formation and pick him up in man-to-man coverage concepts. A player with the reactive athleticism and lateral quickness to match a slot receiver or tight end who also has the physicality to play as a safety is difficult to find, and the Texans no longer have that now that Quin is gone.

Reed was formerly such a player, but is now limited to operating from a base safety alignment, typically between 12 and 15 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Schematically, the trade-off lies in the Texans' man coverage schemes. No team blitzed more than Houston in 2012, which was due in part to the Texans' confidence in their underneath coverage players' ability to stay with receivers, an effort Quin aided in. Reed likely won't be called upon as frequently in man coverage, but his ability to umbrella the back end of a defense gives Houston some ability to take risks in pressure packages with its front seven, with less fear of busted coverages and big plays down the field.

Intangibles -- As previously alluded to, Reed's value extends beyond his physical skills. He's among the most well respected defensive leaders in all of football, and Houston's safety group is in need of a veteran presence. Reed's work ethic, approach to the game, communication both before the game and between plays, and professionalism in everything that he does will trickle down to his teammates.

The safety group that Reed will join in Houston is thin, but pairing him with Manning gives the Texans an experienced duo to build around. Drafting a safety remains a possibility for the Texans, as Reed is undoubtedly approaching the end of his career and would be the perfect player to groom a rookie. But with a roster that is close to Super Bowl caliber, Houston needed to find an immediate impact player who shored up a hole.

In a conference that has Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and the highest-paid player in all of football, Joe Flacco, having a defensive quarterback is imperative to sustained success. Reed will likely take on a leadership role from the moment he sets foot inside of the Texans' locker room, and that's an aspect to his game that extends beyond the stat sheet.

In assessing the Reed addition, it's natural to keep coming back to Quin and whether or not the Texans improved as a football team. While the versatility lost from Quin's departure will be missed, Reed's value is undeniable as a leader and center fielder for the secondary, even though he's not the same player who was once among the most dominant in all of football.

The Texans won 12 games a season ago, but entered the offseason with a punch list of areas to improve, including the secondary. Holes on the roster remain (they need to add an inside linebacker and a wide receiver to complement Andre Johnson), but Reed is an addition that will make the secondary and entire defense better right away, and Houston remains on the inside track to be one of the top four teams in the AFC in 2013.

3. sammy

sammy Member

Hernandez torched Houston so that's not a good point for Quin.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm psyched about how affordable he was. A Champion with a championship mentality. There was too much defensive team responsibly put on Watt's shoulders. Reed should be D Captain right away and help steady these guys emotions and keep them humble.

No more ****ing Letterman Jackets.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Still need to draft a safety in the first 3 rounds. The way our defense works the 3rd safety gets on the field a lot. No more Keo please!

I'm really hoping the Texans gamble on Mathieu.

Safety/DB is more important to me than another ILB because of the way the defense plays and because of the passing league we are in. Sharpton, a veteran and maybe a late round pick is good enough to back up Cush.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think leadership and experience in the secondary can be overestimated.

I dunno if the secondary of
    Jackson - Joseph - Reed - Manning
    Is second to any in the league
    [now removing homer hat]
    They have to be top 5

Depth is a problem but maybe we can coach up some people
    like we did KAreem

Exciting times - [​IMG]

Rocket River

7. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Doh! Apologies...THANKS!

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Exactly, I think this is the biggest attribute Reed brings. Experience/Leadership is something we need.

9. Classic

Classic Member

I'm pretty pumped. You know this signing reminds me of when the Rockets got Barkley. It was all similar in the way they described 'past his prime' 'still capable' 'lost a step' ect

& what did Barkely come out and do his first game with the Rox? Oh, just put up 20 & 33.

I'm diggin this pickup. Can't wait to see Mr. Reed wk 1

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd take a safety AND try to sign a veteran safety that can contribute on special teams and bring something to special packages. I've said Pollard before because he'd be cheap and can do some unique things compared to our current safeties but I don't like him much and I think Phillips hates him. Someone with that skillset fits the bill though.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

While true, his swagger is not to be underestimated too. The defense will play with a chip on its shoulder, which hopefully spreads throughout the entire team.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Member

The intangibles that everyone talks about is what I'm looking at with Reed. I believe he can still play and play well. But the truth is I want him to be able to teach the young guys and bring a bit of swag to the team.

What he brings to the locker room and all the young guys make this pick up worth it even more.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

We now have serious 'swagger' on all 3 positions on the defense. Watt on the line, Cushing behind the line, and Reed with the DBs.

Attitude is not going to be a problem with this defense next year...

14. DieHard Rocket

Barwin and Shaun Cody came up with those things so we shouldn't have to worry about that. Doubt Cody will be back.

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Texans prefer Mitchell, so I doubt Cody is back.

16. speedball

speedball Member

I was thinking that too, but i keep wondering why they haven't cut him yet! Wouldn't it be better to cut him now so he can get on with another team?

I'm so excited about Reed, mostly because of his heart. I remember when he beat TJ yates, I thought he was done because of how injured he was--but he played through it.

It's funny, when I picture him out on the field with the Texans defense, I still imagine him in a Ravens uniform--he made that uniform look tough. can;t wait to see him rock the bull!

17. sammy

sammy Member

Reed has brought the excitement back for this team. If Schaub pulls his head out of his rear, we'll be contending for a bye once again.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yep. one of my favorite parts of the signing

Now just need some of that on the other side of the ball.. Vonta had it once upon a time. Some teams have it on the OL. Maybe WR2..I don' tknow

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

He's a free agent.

1 person likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Reed is very vocal. He stepped up to Flacco numerous times in Baltimore. I except him to be all over Schaub.