1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey in Athens Scouting Giannis Adetokunbo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2013.

1. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

I don't know what anybody in here is smoking, but this dude is NO T-Mac or Durant. Have ya'll seen Durant and T-Mac at 18yo?? Do ya'll understand what ya'll are saying?? I wouldn't be surprised if this guy comes over here and rides the pine. 6'9 in Greece = 6'2 in the NBA

2. underrated015

underrated015 Member

he attacks the rim which is good but needs to bulk up. that will happen with time.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No chance of landing him, too good of a prospect to drop out of first round in my opinion.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

unless the front office is already expecting to make the lottery ;)

5. v3.0

v3.0 Member

You must be some highly paid scout working for an NBA team; how do you get the time to break away and make these threads?

....I don't really think you're a scout...

6. Rocket Booster

Adetokoubo is a point guard and he has much better handles, passing, and court vision than Batum, already at 18 years old.

7. Rocket Booster

I am well aware of the proper legal spelling, which is actually Antetokoumpo, since he was born in Greece and speaks Greek, etc. it's actually legally and properly spelled Antetokoumpo.

I am just going by how the individual claimed he spells his own name, which is Adetokoubo. Look here for confirmation --->

https://twitter.com/Adeto_kouboS

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Oh, I'm not doubting that's how he spells it (and hey -- it's his prerogative to spell his name as he wants it). I'm just saying what the origins of the name are and how it's spelled in the mother tongue -- how his grandma would spell it, as it were.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Stuff it like a grape leave. Learn to spell, spyros.

10. Ashes

Ashes Member

Lol please. Teams have been scouting this kid since last year.

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Worth a gamble with a late pick...probably nothing more. Quincy Miller from last draft maybe a better prospect.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

What's wrong with Batum's handles and court vision? He rarely turns it over and averages 4.8 assists per game, which is right up there Andre Iguodala (if you still consider Iggy a SF).

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

He looks like he has the potential to be the next Jeremy Lamb.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

this is the kind of prospect that doesn't pan out until his 4th or 5th year. Pass. A tanking team might take a chance at him. He's too raw. Even more so than Bismack Byumbo who's still developing.

15. thumbs

thumbs Member

Even if Morey actually covets this kid, do we have a draft pick to use on him in the 2013 draft? Who are the most likely teams to sell us a pick and how high can we get? ... and if we could get a pick, don't we need a second center or second point guard more than a second (or third) small forward?

16. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I don't know about his court vision, but based on Clutch's link, his ability to dribble and pass with his left hand (off hand?) is impressive, although DraftExpress states that he is "largely right-hand dependent".

17. SexyButIgnorant

Actually, contrary to popular belief, height does not change 7 inches lower when you come to America. 6'9 in Greece is still 6'9 in the NBA. It's tricky.

1 person likes this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

Why would that hold us back? We've stashed several prospects overseas, as have other teams. Ibaka, Splitter, Rubio, and Marc Gasol all spent time in Europe after being drafted. We kept DMo in Poland last year. If this kid is willing to stay in Europe for the next few years, who cares how raw he is at this moment?

1 person likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This team needs talent now. Unless drafting him as an asset is the goal I see no real value he brings to the NBA team.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

I don't see how drafting a long-term prospect with your pick precludes you from getting talent elsewhere. The Spurs are always looking to bring in immediate contributors, but they thought Splitter was worth the wait, used a 1st round pick on him, and kept him overseas for three years. What else were they supposed to do? Pick someone that can't play?

I have no opinion on this kid's game, but you said only a tanking team should take a chance on him. I disagree. I think he's a classic Euro stash pick. I think a team using a lottery pick on him would be a huge gamble considering his age and experience.