1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the Leader of this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spankz141, Mar 7, 2013.

?

Who is the leader?

1. Harden

363 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. Lin

234 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Parsons

80 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Delfino

10 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Brooks

22 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Other

13 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. No Leader

65 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. quizone

quizone Member

like in every walk of life, leader does less and takes the most. soo this m8ks sense;)

2. jae713

jae713 Member

I used this as an example earlier. When Derek Fisher was on the Lakers he handled the ball most of the time and was very vocal and involved on the court. Does that make him the leader over Kobe?

3. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

It's not obvious but Parsons is the leader.

He's the guy who extends himself to his teammates on and off the court, and always plays his heart out on the floor, never lacking in effort, always encouraging and supportive as well.

4. GIGO

GIGO Member

"I'm here. Did you summon me, my friend?"
    [​IMG]

5. TheGoldenGreek

It's no question Harden. You can tell simply by the way the players defer to him when either the shot clock runs down or if it's a clutch moment in the game. Harden no doubt.

6. wapz

wapz Member

becomes problematic at points like tonight's game.

parsons was the guy with the hot hand, yet harden (and yes even lin) were forcing shots during the 4th. still, they sealed the game... so i guess i'll leave it at that.

but yeah, harden should probably avoid hero-balling if he's cold and stick with pnrs. same with lin.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

How is Brooks even available as an option?

8. landryfans

landryfans Member

A bit on the political incorrect side, Harden often goes to men's club and got tweeted by hookers, it doesn't hurt his status as superstar, but not the kind of image you wanna associated with team leader.

9. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Results of poll are rediculous

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Not a single **** is given

11. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Voted for Harden because well, you could only select one.

For me best player doesn't always equal best leader.

I think a group or pair of players can be leaders in different ways.

I prefer to go with a group -- Parsons, Lin and Harden, together I think they lead the team. They each bring something unique to the team -- not just on the floor but in the locker room too.

12. javajoe

javajoe Member

I am surprised at the results of this poll, not at the top 4 vote getters—Lin, Harden, none, and Parsons—but how lopsided it is in Lin’s favor. For the record, I voted for Chandler which, in the end, edged out no leader. I see him as perhaps closest to meeting the leadership qualities I am looking for even if they are still emerging. Not the best player at this point, but that’s not the criteria (eg, Battier).

First, beyond the team, a leader must have wide respect in the league. Only Hardin fits this mold, but Chandler is gaining. Within the team context, the leader must focus on the team concept and enhance team chemistry, communicating clearly to inspire, motivate and encourage team members to improve personal and team performance. I’m not close enough to the team to know exactly how this goes on in the locker room, but (apart from the captured shove of McHale) I am impressed with Chandler’s communication on the floor (it’s a bit hard from the wing spot, especially on defense where communication is so important), in interviews, etc. A leader must also demonstrate commitment and self-discipline. This means working your tail off on both ends of the floor, never giving up, staying focused, working hard in the gym to develop consistency and improve conditioning and court skills. Chandler obviously worked very hard over the summer and has made amazing improvement with his shooting. Both he and Hardin are excellent candidates for MIP. Team leadership is not bestowed by the coach or GM; it’s not declared by the supposed team leader. It’s earned.

And finally, a good team leader must use Paul Mitchell products – need I say more? Chandler is the emerging team leader.

13. Fighton

Fighton Member

who do the players say is/are the leaders of the team?

harden has been mentioned by players and media since he joined the team. parsons mentioned lin as a good point guard, gets the team into their sets, and is a "great leader". bev has pointed to lin as a leader. jones mentioned lin as someone that runs the offense... haven't read of heard mention of chandler but that doesn't mean he isn't.

i def think it's the three amigos of lin, parsons, and harden.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

McHale is the true leader!

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How I am not surprised, Lin has 70% of the votes. Usually your best player is your leader.

16. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

This thread is starting to feel a little like the debate we all had around the ASG voting.

In my mind, Harden is clearly the team leader. I also think it's fair to recognize that other players demonstrate leadership in their own way.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Surprised at how few votes Delfino's getting. I would probably lean towards no leader, aka our coaches lead our players, but Delfino always seems to be the guy who can come in and calm the team. I don't think he's a natural leader per se, but he's the only vet and and everyone do seem to listen to him.

18. torocan

torocan Member

This.

Contrary to some fan expectations, I think Parsons, Lin and Harden all lead the team in different ways.

It's clear that their on and off court chemistry is very good. And I don't think it's an accident that the pregame handshake is those 3 players.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 of them are thick as thieves, plotting their way through the rest of the season...

19. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Lin wont lose any battle of polls, that is the power of LOFs. ;)

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Someone needs to start a hakeem vs Lin thread to test your hypothesis.