1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Zzzzzzz........ then?

2. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

sirbaihu still insisting on defending a losing game plan.

On to the next game .

3. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Mchale to Lin:

No sticky ball, move the ball you idiot. shoot the 3 while you are open. Get back to play on the ball as well as help defense.

That's what Mchale wants from a pg.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt Lin gets traded. Here's why. The other point guards were traded to build a core. Now we have a core. The goal is to win a championship. The only player protected is Harden, but Houston has already said to other teams that Parson, Lin, and Asik are not movable for now. So it's clear they want to see how this core develops. Ultimately, if Chris Paul becomes available. Lin might be gone. But the likelihood of that is close to zero.

I think people here are frustrated that Lin doesn't get more playing time. But he still gets a lot. McHale is doing what he does. And you don't have to be happy with his decision, but it's not personal. And that's what Lin fans need to understand. It's not personal. He's just running his team. And maybe he wants more x instead of y. Maybe he measures pg performance by assists & turnovers, and Lin having 3 assists after 3 quarters is a poor performance, where Bev with 7 assists and 2 to's is fewer minutes is a lot better.

So there ya go. People don't have to agree with it, but maybe they should at least think about it.

5. andersongo

andersongo Member

Few people here actually support the idea that McHale personally hates Lin and surely no ones here is judging McHale, the man. What is actually being evaluated is McHale as a coach, that is McSuccess. We are just saying that COTY candidate McSuccess sucks at running his team. Why is that hard for some vets to understand, no one knows.

6. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Didn't Harden go 5 for 17...maybe if Lin stopped passing to Harden he would've had more than 3 assists...or if Harden made a couple more baskets.

Hoping for a win tonight.

7. holly1985

holly1985 Member

It's just double standard from McHale and some fans. Lin has had games with several assists and very few points but it's a bad game to him and McHale still pulled him out.
    I'm more worry about that maybe McHale doesn't agree with the way Lin plays. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this line.

8. rokit

rokit Member

this actually happened, sampson said it. he wasn't very happy with the "made baskets assist ratio" at the half time. said that starters didn't move the ball well enough.

isn't that kinda idiotic? they surely must have more advanced stats than that?
    if guys miss open shots or omer gets hacked all the time, it's basically lin's fault 'cause he ain't moving the ball well?

9. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

Funniest thing about this quote was Lin shot over 50% and had 2 total turnovers in that great win over OKC

For McHale to say that after that game shows how clueless he is, and also a disturbing double standard and bias

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Thanks, Jeremy, for bringing all the My Little Pony fans to ClutchFans. They don't know about basketball, but are expert on Jeremy's feelings.

11. Razsan

Razsan Member

Look at the assists. 5 of the 7 baskets were from 22 feet or more...heck 2 were from 26+. Beverly is not penetrating, he's deferring to other shooters and was lucky that they kept dropping bombs. Reminds me of the old Barry Sanders argument. They put a backup in and he averaged more yards per carry..so logically they should bench Barry for the 4th qtr. Considering he had no points in the game...Beverly also had no assists from the 10 minute mark till the end.
    Lin makes the Rockets a better team when he's out on the court. That's clear even to the Mavs announcers but apparently not that obvious to McHale.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has the most high powered offense in the league! His team is performing way better than analysts predicted. HOw can you say he sucks at running his team?

Because basketball isn't just about made shots, it's the type of shots you are making. I played a bit of organized ball, and the coaches didn't critique made or missed shots, or plays that happened to go well - they critiqued the position, the decision making, the type of shots and passes. So you can't just go by the box score.

In watching the game, Lin seemed to be looking to score more than pass in the game. Maybe McHale took issue with it. I don't know. But I think it's a bit strange to say he sucks at coaching just because Lin doesn't play in the 4th qtr.

13. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

For the most part this is reasonable but we have seen numerous times where Lin gets benched for extended periods even when he has 5-6 assists in a single quarter! His benching then is explained away by Lin not scoring enough. One can always point to some facet of a player's game on any given night as to why he should be benched. But when it happens over and over to one particular player and for an extended period of time in crunch time regardless of whether he has been playing well or not and regardless of whether the substitute has been playing well or not... Well that's what people here mean by McFail.

14. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

Stop your battling with LOFs already. Your a grown man and should know better.
    You accomplish nothing but get your panties in a knot.

15. Razsan

Razsan Member

That's kind of odd since Lin seems to look for an open man nearly every time he touches the ball. To a fault he'll pass when in the paint instead of taking the 7-10 ft jumper. Maybe the problem is the offense is so predicated on running and shooting threes, that no-one knows how to move without the ball once they set the offense...Although Lin seems to be developing a chemistry with DMo in that regard.

16. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Hmmmm. Is that what you're seeing now. So, you think Lin should pass and defer more instead of being aggressive... My, we have come full circle, haven't we. Just what do you want from dude, to score or not to score? If McHale or the "vets" on this site now say he should steal more like Beverley, is that the next meme you're going to be repeating.

McHale and Sampson threw out there that Lin should be looking to score less, and even though the majority of the season everyone was looking for Lin to score more, now he's shooting too much? Lol~

#1676 raskol, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  17. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Isn't Finch the guy who design the offensive system for the Rockets? From what I have seen, most of the coaches, the non-elite ones, usually only handle the rotation assignments, substitutions, players' morale, drawing crunch time plays, and stuffs like that while delegating the majority of the play callings to the assistant coaches. I've seen Mike Brown did it (cue the Mike Brown's standing alone while Kobe draw up a play "picture"), probably Mark Jackson too (they have one of the top assistants in Mike Malone), etc.

18. glitch273

glitch273 Member

I believe the coaching staff has always wanted Jeremy to pass more and score less.
    It was the fans who wanted him to be more aggressive and score more.

Lin's recent benching may be because of this. Lin does not want to become a Derek fisher or Mario Chalmers however that is what McHale sees in him.

19. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

It's odd but the numbers definitively show that the Rockets win over 2/3 of the time when Lin shoots 14+ times a game, or has 3+ turnovers a game. Him being hyper-aggressive leads to team wins. When he was on the Knicks, he might get an extra 2 turnovers but the entire team as a whole would have less turnovers.

I think the reason may be that when he makes those passes from being aggressive, that his teammate usually has a very easy score, so those passes either lead to extremely high percentage shots or a turnover. As long as he is only getting a few more turnovers a game and not a ton of turnovers, it's fine. Even in games where he was heavily criticized for turnovers, his entire team did not have a high total turnover number.

20. Razsan

Razsan Member

That's very similar to the Rajon Rondo mindset. He drives the lane looking to see who bites...if they don't he goes in for a layup. If they do, he kicks it out to whoever has an open look.