1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play the final 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wendzall, Mar 7, 2013.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Beverly sounds like a better player in every way. Why not start him? Pretty obvious mchale sees Lin as you do.

2. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

2-1 doesn't mean much. The first game Lin was sick. The second game was a blowout win over the Mavs. The third game Houston lost.

3. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Yeah, that's it... You can't even string a sentence together and we're supposed to care about your insight on McHale's inner-sentient being.

For these idiots who say McHale has an ego, please find me where anyone, has ever, in this man's public life, ever, one time, accused him of being an egotist. Find the link. He has his entire adult life in the public arena, and no one who has ever worked for him, played with him, or employed him has said he has any ego, let alone a huge one, but all you Jeremy Lin fans who can barely speak English know that he does... Just shut the **** up already.

4. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Naahhh, heroball is much easier to draw.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yeah small sample size. Hopefully Bev gets more chances later on :p

6. cw3k

cw3k Member

The only problem with Beverley in the game is Harden has to play Heroball. 24 minutes with 0 points and not pull?

7. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Simple solution. You don't have to click on threads with Lin on the title.:p

8. supermang

supermang Member

TRUST TRUST TRUST blah blah blah

Trust seems to be the favorite word of LOFs. Mchale, as well as most of the fans, are clearly aware that Lin is the superior pg on our team. You cant really even compare his ability to score and facilitate the offense to that of Bevs. When games are close, THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE. The issue is that Lin is an enormous defensive liability and he absolutely should be subbed by Bev to finish close games.

We run a high powered offense and scoring points isnt the issue in close games (we can score points with or without lin), the point is we need defensive stops. Yeah Lin gets almost 2 steals a game, but he is constantly gambling and slow on defensive rotations. Because Lin gets steals and has Asik stopping the covers that blow by him, some defensive scores overrate Lin's defensive ability, but he is just a liability in close games. His 2 steals affect 2 possessions a game....Id rather him get zero steals and play some man defense and affect 43 possessions a game. Yeah harden's defense is also horrible but at least hes good enough on offense that hes worth keeping on the court in close games.

People keep bring up the fact that hes "practically a rookie", which is a pretty arbitrary when you consider he was in college for 4 years and is closer to 25 years old than not. His game as of now is pretty much based on his athleticism, which will mostly deteriorate during his late 20s and be gone by his 30s (e.g. brooks at 28 is most likely nowhere near the speed of 24 year old brooks). So yeah, you people might want to cut Lin all sorts of slack cuz hes young, but really his prime should be these next few years.

Im taiwanese and i want Lin to succeed as much as the next person, but you LOFs are annoying as **** and embarrassing to bball fans.

1 person likes this.
  9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I don't see how you can claim Lin to be a better orchestrater of the offense than Beverley. Aside from the occasional no look pass, Lin likes to make tough passes which are unnecessary and risky. I get nervous watching Lin because I feel like he goes for the homerun too often, but with Beverley I feel he'll make the best play every time. This is just my opinion watching these guys play of course.

10. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

For those who are arguing go watch OKC vs Rockets again.

4th qrt start somewhere in the 6th minute mark

IMO that's a good example

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All your rep belong to him.

1 person likes this.
  12. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

omg someone needs to do some stat testing around Lin's D. Am I the only who thinks Lin is a good defender? I don't see him get burnt that much, I mean sometimes in PnR, sure but thats the hardest play to defend.

13. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Is that you coach?:grin:

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

It might benefit the team to start Beverley and let Lin run the show with the second unit. In fact if it weren't for the Linsanity thing I bet we would see just that. But because of Linsanity this is kind of a trial year for Jeremy to see what he can and can't do as a player. The point is Lin isn't head and shoulders above Beverley which is why he'll be benched for him at times.

15. muas2010

muas2010 Member

It's all about getting the W...it's not about being conservative or taking unnecessary risks. Would OKC be such a threat if Westbrook played with a ton of conservation? I'm not saying Lin is Westbrook, but why worry about it when it leads to a W most of the time?

16. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I'm tired of all this "can barely speak English" BS. Basketball is a global sport, speaking English well is not a prerequisite to love the game. If it were, the NBA would still be full of white guys from Indiana.

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Baby, baby, baby ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

[​IMG]

18. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

But getting the W is about making the correct play as much as possible. It's the reason the Spurs win 50 games every year. They're well coached and don't make mistakes. In fact I guarantee Greg Popavich would give Jeremy an earful every time he made a risky pass if he was our coach.

Westbrook is a one of a kind talent so you have to take the good with the bad with him and hope he learns to be a better playmaker.

19. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Simple, u go with who is hot, and sit who is not. Harden and Lin are the same type of defender, lots of steal, bad man-man. We were eaten alive on poor rotations, and pretty bad shooting. Everytime Lin is benched in the 4th, these threads r made. Beverley played great, it was not his fault we lost, and Lin being in the game would not have changed it. Too many LOF and LOH threads about this. U go with who plays well, no matter the position, period

20. wendzall

wendzall Member

Doesn't the stats in the first original post show that LIn's defense is not a liability? Wouldn't you say the plus/minus is a good overall measure of offense and defense combined? Wouldn't you say the plus/minus shows overall how well a player contributed?

Well, in 20 close games of 7 points (for the final 5 minutes)...
    Lin had a plus/minus of +1.5, 0.33 assists, 3.1 points
    While Beverly and Douglas had - 1.8, 0.2 assists, 1.9 points