1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 3/6/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 5, 2013.

1. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Coach's fault to run ISO for Harden...without Lin there's no driving lane for Harden.

2. New

I thought coaching is about shifting the mean of the distribution in a positive way. Did Mchale do that? Yes. Can he do better? I think so, and I think he needs to improve his plan for 4th quarter game.

1 person likes this.
  3. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Players react differently to Lin vs Bev. Lin gets doubled. That can make the difference in giving other players better looks...

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i haven't watched the whole game yet so my following comment is not based on this game. if mchale thinks beverley closes out games better than lin, he should start beverley. you can't keep change your rotation and substitution game by game. it won't help the goal of getting into playoff. he needs to make a decision on starting pg position and stick with it.

5. Roboman

Roboman Member

Oh Toro, you should know by now that your posts are just far too logical for some of these fans.

6. dmoneybangbang

Well when the opposing team goes small.... are you going to put in your slow, generally offensively inept, bad ass defender? I can see both sides, but when you are in the bonus, is Asik someone you want to have in? Does he have a Shaq or DHoward (healthy) presence where you can look the away at his shooting inadequacy?

7. FlyingBeagles

FlyingBeagles Member

Good point! I relayed it. If you mind, I will delete it.

FlyingBeagles ‏@flying_beagles
    @Jonathan_Feigen FWIW, knickstorm from CF: "Harden with worst +/- on Rockets tonight with -13"

8. rearwindow

rearwindow Member

Coach basically doesn't believe Lin is a positive factor by playing along with Harden. He trusts much more in the offense going through Harden 90% of time. He believes either Patrick or TD is a better fit to that kind of offense because they are better spot-up shooters and less likely to handle the ball to initiate the offense.

I believe the opposite though. Many people here always talk about defense, but if you look at defense statistics data, Lin is one of the best in this team besides Asik.

9. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Thank you for posting this. Now we can end talk about Lin vs Bev.

10. dmoneybangbang

Of course I think he can do better. I just maintain this game was a coinflip. People are too focused on the substitution patters while ignoring how if "x" and "y" player just made a few more shots/free throws we could have won.

11. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

Don't blame this on Harden heroball, heroball happened due to the personnel that was out there. Bev/Trob are not offensive threats, the Mavs D sagged off of them. Lin can at least make plays since he's a threat. He would've also found his bro Chandler who was 5-8 from 3pt but did not take a SINGLE shot at the end.

12. TTNN

TTNN Member

wow, now that's really something.

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

and why is that?

1) Young, inexperienced team
    2) Too much dependence on Harden ISo
    3) Coaching Inexperience

No Defense. In this game they should've put their best defensive team on the court (the starters--ie ASIK--and maybe Robinson) and attempted to PROTECT the two point lead they had over the Mavs. Instead, the defense broke down, no one got a rebound ,and Mayo made some critical shots.

ISO Harden. The rockets offense was equally ineffective because every "play" McHale drew up was clearly for a Harden ISO. Where was the ball movement? Why not go for the down the lane 2 pointer (Nowitzki had 5 fouls and the team was in the bonus!!!) and go for the easy bucket. Instead they bricked threes or ran the clock all the way down forcing a bad shot

That's on coach. Everyone in the arena knew Harden was taking the shot--even Parsons--who was having a good game--parked behind the 3 point line and watched. Thats a lot of pressure to put on James and did not serve the team in the end.

14. jeddah

jeddah Member

That's had been my preaching here for the longest time...lol...Coach needs to come up with a game plan aside from ISO and drive-n-kick...heck, we have 2 of the best PNR players in the league and we can't utilize them...

Garcia and Delfino are Novak type player...they are great shooters when set-up well...but in this current system, their strengths will be wasted...you need to have your energy to shoot better...

15. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

It's insane that you're going to bench a guy during the time in games when he clearly thrives.. insane.

16. dmoneybangbang

I disagree. I think Mchale wants a scorer and a good defender in the backcourt. Lin is a decent defender, but Bev just brings the energy and pesky defense that causes turnovers and deflections. Vice versa I hope to see Lin becoming a 6th man with AB sharing the backcourt.

17. TTNN

TTNN Member

that's exactly the reason I think why coach sit Lin, they wanted Harden's hero ball. When Lin is on court, Harden might defer...

18. rearwindow

rearwindow Member

If you are talking about defense, Harden's defense is sub-bar for the best tonight. I don't blame him entirely. He was assigned too heavy a burden and too long a playing time for almost every game. If he can manage to play defense with a bit more energy I believe the difference will be substantiate.

19. otisthorpe3

otisthorpe3 Member

All of the above.

20. MonKing

MonKing Member

Since there is no sensible reason for McHale benching Lin for the whole fourth quarter, maybe he did it because of Lin's joke after the prior Mavs game. The interview where Lin said "I thought Patrick played with a lot of energy" and chuckled.