1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yet you seem to think that everyone wants to know what YOU think McHale really meant from his quote....

2. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

No but without some facts you just cant call every single quote on that newspaper made up mumbo jumbo. Btw why are we even arguing this, Jason friedman has confirmed the quote. Geez, arguing with kids making up hypothetical counter arguments.

3. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

nope, its in plain english. Lin would rather score 29 points? Really? Need to spin that?

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Can't help but notice that about 40% of posts in this thread are from posters who joined CF after Lin came on board. Everyone is welcome here, but guys, this board is about the whole team. Your focus seems distorted.

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

the difference is his words - we are trying to win. who doesn't want to win? lin wants to win. beverly wants to win

if he had said lin scored tons but also had tons of TOs and it was bad (or it won't help us to win), that would have had been same as what he did to beverly.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

McHale did not say that.

Maybe he implied Lin does not know the best way to win games. I'm gonna go with the Hall of Famer on this one.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's talking about what role he believes will be best for the team, he's said before that Lin "needs to be a singles and doubles hitter" that's not him bashing him, it's just saying that they don't need him to be a "home run hitter" they need him in a different role, how is that hard to understand?

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you agree or disagree with this statement: Literal interpretation of words aren't always the most accurate interpretation -- context matters.

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

That is true. Now it does sound very insulting to Lin's heart to win.

10. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

"He'd rather have..., and I told him 'we are trying to win.'" - What's so difficult to understand?

Obviously, to McHale, Lin is NOT trying to win, that's the only logical reason for McHale to say that to Lin. Otherwise, McHale must be r****ded, to say something like, "Hey Jeremy, I know you are trying to win, BUT WE ARE TRYING TO WIN!".

Whatever context or intention some of you fantasized of, that line doesn't need any explanation.

"Lin'd rather have 29 points, BUT WE ARE TRYING TO WIN", is a lot worse than "sometimes Lin would get 29 points and 9 TOs, but I tell him 'we are trying to win'". The latter one suggested Lin sometimes did it very wrong, but the original quote suggested Lin's priority/intention was wrong.

That line to the media is wrong from a coach, even if it's remotely close to facts. It couldn't be more wrong when it's totally opposite of truth.

What context? How about McHale shouldn't have said it to the media, and let's move on?

11. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

/thread

12. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Hall of Famer never clarified his quote. His quote is clear, go read it. If he did not intend to say Lin prefers to score over TOs and wins, he should never have brought up the reference to Lin would rather score 29 points. His words are clear as day... or am I in the twilight zone? Seriously.

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win,’ ”

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

Uhh, given no context I can make anything sound completely different than it actually is. Please.

14. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

This... I can't believe McHale's words are being spinned like no one's business just to make it look good. Wow, just wow.

15. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

But the quote, correct me if I'm wrong, was "Sometimes Lin would rather[...]." The reporter I'm guessing asked a question about Lin's TOs.

How is he pointing out that Lin is selfish but is only getting on Beverly's mistake?

How exactly are you making that distinction? I don't see it.

He said that Beverly gets a lot of offensive rebounds but it costs us on defense. He said that he's not good at it yet. He said he needs to get back on defense more instead of going for the rebound. He said that Lin sometimes tries to get a lot of points but it costs us on turnovers. Implying he's not good at it yet. He said he needs to be more efficient when scoring.

He didn't say Beverly only cares about his rebounding stat or that Lin only cares about his points stat, he said Beverly needs to improve on his decision making when he goes for an offensive rebound, and he implied that Lin needs to improve on his decision making when he goes for a bucket.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bobby,

Just stop. You won't get through to him. If Kevin McHale and Jeremy Lin personally sat down with him and explained it, he still wouldn't get it.

Just let it go. Move on. Go get a beer. Hang with your friends. Make love to your woman. Travel the world.

Whatever you do, just stop replying in this thread with the honest intention of arguing in favor of reason. It won't get you anywhere.

Now go, Bobby, and be free!

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And so where exactly did Friedman confirm that McHale said that, if I may ask.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that is clear, he's saying that Lin scoring 29 points and getting 9 turnovers isn't the best way to win.....what is controversial about that?

19. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

You still missed the point he was making: McHale's wording makes it sound like Lin only cares about points, not winning.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, fair enough man, I'm new to this site, I'm not used to dealing with people like that.