1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

2. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

And should NEVER be compared him in any way.
    McHale hasn't proved a damn thing to even be put in the same sentence as Pop.

Great post.

Which must suck for Lin because it's putting him in a really tough position. First McHale expressed the need for Jeremy to be more aggressive, but apparently he wants him to do without shooting much or make risky passes.
    Harden already takes away a big chunk of Jeremy's PG duties, so when James is in playmaking mode and passes to Jeremy, does he go for his own shot or stick to a PG mindset and therefore force some pass that's not even there. How many times have we seen him hesitate on what to do in such a occasion?
    All that aside though, I don't understand what'd be the problem of him get his points, who's he taking shots away from? Asik?
    I think the offense would flow much better (as we've seen a bit) when Jeremy doesn't doubt himself and go get his points, if a pass is there, great, if not who cares, take easier shot.

Really, just that? what about the "He'd rather have 29 points...and I tell him "Jeremy, we're trying to win"

Heh, I would love it if there was video and it showed that it was in fact, McHale just being sarcastic to a Marc Berman who then gives him the stink eye.
    McHale: "Ugh, YES Mark, Lin ~rather pad his stats then win, what's with the dumb questions guys?"
    Mark: "They weren't that dumb okay! :mad:"

Except he didn't. I do find it interesting how Jason didn't actually DENY that such comment was made by McHale but rather only (like some posters here) focused on the TURNOVER comment, which again EVERYONE would agree with, yet skipped the part that people are actually questioning. Meh.

3. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

In the new practice interview McHale just criticized Beverly for offensive rebounding because it jeopardizes defense.

He said Beverly's not good enough with it yet to know when to go for the offensive board and when to just get back on defense.

Wow, almost a direct parallel to the Lin quote. Lets create a 20 page thread talking about how McHale is accusing Beverly of "stacking" rebounds over defense and a win.

Oh wait, that's not going to happen.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

McHale hates Beverly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111ONEONEONE!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

To add on to that,

With Beverly, he's not saying offensive rebounding is bad and Beverly shouldn't do it. He's saying it's bad when it comes with bad defense.

With Lin, he's not saying points are bad and Lin shouldn't get them. He's saying it's bad when it comes with high turnovers.

Tell me how the quote about Beverly and Lin are different. I'd love to hear it.

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

my account was blocked for a while as i didn't put money in the jar. :grin::grin::grin:

i started to watch rox since 1993 when i moved to college station. i am proud of being a rox fan.:cool::cool::cool:

7. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

One more thing, to everyone here and to Jason Friedman, compliment followed by an insult is what we call a back handed compliment. Anyway, I cannot believe I have to argue with McHale apologists on:

1. We are misinterpreting McHale's quote. As if they would know what McHale truly meant. All I am reading are his words in plain simple uncomplicated english.
    2. That the source Filip Bondy is completely making the quote up (based on no facts whatsoever).
    3. The context is completely off.

All hypothetical scenarios based on zero information.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

lol I see, We'll I think most of the vets here don't really overact to this type of stuff because of what Yao brought here. It's like been there seen that. Everything is just over analyzed and put under a microscope because of who Lin is.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Most NYC residents would not put it above the Daily News to completely fabricate that quote. Does anyone else find it odd that the Daily Rag is the only source for this info???

10. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Trust me, McHale has criticized Lin's play and his TOs enough times and imo rightfully so. But to call a player selfish in those exact words is what pissing Lin fans off. If you still don't get the difference, go create a I hate Lin fans thread and go at it there.

11. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Zero information? Really? We have a quote from the same interview in which McHale is praising Lin. You guys are just letting your preconceived notions color your perception.

12. Fighton

Fighton Member

Good post and very fair. Makes a lot of sense and seems like this was how things played out. and yes, it does happen on a lot teams.

but i'd also like to add -

1) regarding morey - hard to say where he stands with lin. it was les' idea to up the ante to make it very hard for nyc to match. but, we've also seen very positive quotes from morey regarding lin recently and most importantly, he was very specific in describing lin's play. that means he wasn't just toeing the company line and saying generic praises to make the boss happy, but he's actually watching him develop and seeing his value. whether or not morey sees lin as a 8mil/yr investment on this team, we have no idea at this point. based on stats, he's performing at the similar level as other 8mil pg's in the league.

2) i would say that early on, the coaches didn't trust lin all that much. they know his work ethic and talks about that all the time. but not sure they buy into his performance in nyc. i think they were tempering expectations early on both for lin and for themselves. but it looks like he's slowly gaining their trust - might be because they know they're stuck with him and if they don't play him at crucial points in the game, they have to answer to les. or they're seeing that he's pretty much recovered from his injury and now able to shoulder more than earlier in the season.

anyway, i believe that over the life of his contract, lin will win over the coaches with his play. that's been the trend everywhere he's been - high school, harvard, d-league, nyc, etc. he's got three years. he's improved since the beginning of the year. i think he has the luxury of time to win over the coaches and l believe he will sooner rather than later.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good, so you're done now?

14. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Well, at least they can't use the

"NyFAILYnEWS made it up!!12! McHALE BEST COach EVAAAA, HE LIKE POPS to PARKER YOU LOFS!!!"

excuse anymore, since Jason pretty much confirmed McHale DID say it :p

15. trock

trock Member

If McHale said 'Bev would rather have 3 offensive rebounds and 30 fastbreak points on us, and I tell him 'hey, we wanna win here.'' I would absolutely say, that's a dumb thing for the coach to say.

And the reason there wouldn't be a 20 pg thread on it is because everyone would just say, 'yeah, that's stupid to say' and we'd all move on. Instead, anything involving Lin has people dig in to prove something to these 'LOFs.'

16. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I imagine McHale quitting:

"I'll clothesline a mofo in the finals, but I just can't with these LOFs..."

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry, maybe I misread the quote, I didn't see the world "selfish" used at all. I'll go back and re-read it to make sure.

18. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

Similar except the point about Lin is not true. He doesn't try to score 29pts every game. Maybe he is 3rd or 4th in shots taken per game? Most people here on contrary wants Lin to drive & shoot more.

19. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

First whats the quote? Btw if this particular quote is correct and in the right context, I don't care what the f compliment he gave Lin prior to the insult, that my friend is what we would call a back handed compliment? Let me give help you, "Lin is a super star, he is turning out really well for us BUT he would rather score 29 points and 9 TOs........" Kapisch? I guess not.

20. underoverup

underoverup Member

Clutch doesn't ban or block people if they don't put 'money in the jar'.