1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Lin isn't going anywhere. Anyone who thinks Lin will be traded is kidding themselves. Even if he were demoted to the bench, which is very unlikely anytime soon, he still won't be traded. I'm not sure you guys appreciate the draw Lin is. If you're an owner, and one who understood what Yao meant to the franchise and to global fans, you're not going to let Lin go. That is the whole reason why Les went and got Lin this summer. You guys seriously believe he's going to give up on Lin in 1 year or 1.5 years while the team is exceeding expectations and Lin is improving?

McHale would almost certainly be gone before Lin is. McHale is an interchangeable coach who has proven nothing as a coach. If I were McHale, I would probably keep that in mind. Lin, on the other hand, is a very rare commodity who can't be replaced in the foreseeable future.

2. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I don't think you get it. But that's ok. You're entitled to your opinion.

I would just advise you to not expect Lin to be traded.

3. Roxs

Roxs Member

The main critique of McHale that some people are glossing over is that a coach should not discuss the details of private conversation with players. I'm of that opinion. If you disagree with that, then understandably you would defend McHale.

To put it simply, McHale shares too much and what he's sharing certainly doesn't need to be shared publicly. Really, as a coach, if you call out your own player in the press, that only leads to your own detriment.

The second thing I'm noticing is a bit of hypocrisy. There are those that says Lin will never be as good as Tony Parker, yet considers it OK to use the Pop/Parker tough love analogy in defending McHale's tough love towards Lin. In effect, that's saying that if McHale treats Lin like Pop treats Parker, then Lin will become Parker. Any disagreement with that last statement would just be a disagreement about semantics.

I personally would rather wait for more data before making Lin comparable statements, but thought the Lin/Parker hypocrisy needs pointing out.

1 person likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

hey i'm very high on lin and love his offense, defense, rebounding. intangibles - the whole package. i personally feel his game and confidence have been stifled by this coaching staff all year.

what i wrote before was in the context of him playing very poorly come postseason. i said that at the least they would wait till middle of next season before looking to change PG's.

1 person likes this.
  5. fishguy91

fishguy91 Member

new york daily news... smh

we all good

6. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

That's fair.

The point I was trying to make, or part of it, is that Houston wasn't supposed to MAKE the playoffs this year. But now, supposedly, a guy who helped get them into the playoffs is going to be dealt because of how he might perform in a position where he and the team weren't even supposed to be before? A spot in which he's never been?

There is no logic to that argument, or none that I can see. I'm just trying to point out how nonsensical that argument appears to be. I wasn't trying to take a shot at you or anyone else on a personal level.

7. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

^^^^This. I always cringe when I hear those s*** questions from certain reporters. Can't believe they were still asking Tyson and Melo at this All Star weekend. Really hope they would just shut up.

8. youngduck

youngduck Member

this coach is very stupid. so he's saying jeremy lin is trying to fill up the stat sheet?

"we need more lin threads", OP wtf do you want?

your boy goran dragic is terrible defensively. look at his defensive numbers. ugh...

how did you guys enjoy james harden defense yesterday?

LOL...trevor ariza looked like a mother @$%#%@ all star!! bradley beal? you guys know he got free points from harden?

gamble gamble gamble gamble. nice job harden.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Every player on the Rockets roster has to learn to play with and off of James Harden. And if they cannot they will be gone. I believe that Lin will be around until the end of his contract, aside a blockbuster trade for a Paul of course.

10. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

11. gate470

gate470 Rookie

I see, got it.

1 person likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good post.

But I don't think the Pops/Parker analogy is a hypocrisy.

All I am trying to say is that Coach hasn't lost trust in his players.

I completely agree. The main reason to fire a coach is when that coach lost his lockerroom. I don't think Coach is losing his lockerroom. Conversely, I think DMo loves him and pretty much the entire squad.

As far as I'm concerned, Coach can say anything to the media, as long as he doesn't piss off his players to the point of losing control of them. I doubt Lin is pissed off.

Compare this to when JVG went public with his distaste of the Francis Superbowl moment. And we traded Francis after that.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure why you are referring to that as hypocrisy. Its never known that a player will reach the level of another. When Popovich was hard on a young Tony Parker, he couldn't have known how good Parker would eventually become. Only that he had the potential to be really good but needed to learn how to play the right way first. That's a reasonable approach for a lot of young, inexperienced PGs, regardless of whether they become the next Tony Parker.

14. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I wonder how you tolerate the stench of hypocrisy oozing through every pore of your body? Not interested in witch hunts?

You take any opportunity to take a pot shot at Lin, you and Superstar, and you then pretend how you're just trying to be fair and objective. Your dislike of Lin would be funny if it wasn't so transparent.

Maybe people feel the need to defend Lin because of begrudgers like you who look for any opportunity to tear him down.

As for McHale, it's been pretty obvious to anyone with open eyes for a while now, both through his actions and his words, that he doesn't really have any real faith in Lin.

Lin has never been the kind of player who wants to go stand in the corner and shoot threes. He's always tried to play aggressive and it's been clear that this has been actively discouraged by the coaching staff who don't think he can do anything and want him to just pass to Harden and get out of the way. But it's good to hear it from the horse's mouth. Despite this, people like you will never admit the truth, you just can't handle being flat out wrong. And that's really the source of your LOHness. Like Mchale and friends, you were wrong about Lin and his potential, and you will use every intellectually dishonest method to maintain your delusions.

P.S.

#freeLin

1 person likes this.
  15. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

To be fair to McHale, I don't know how accurate the quotes really are since the soruce article was from the NYDaily News, well known for bashing and smearing Lin since the tail end of last season. Most of the NYdaily News sports writers are shameless in creating drama and have zero creditability in my book.

But if McHale did in fact said that and implying Lin rather get his points than the team winning, then he is really being ridiculous because is simply not true if you watch the Rockets this season. I don't mind the coach calling out a player with TO and lazy plays etc...( Which Lin is guilty of sometimes) but the quote from Nydaily News is almost like character Assassination from your own coach, I can't help but smh reading this thread for those who still defend McHale's quote if they are really true.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow so Lin is now kobe and he has the power to fire coaches?

BTW the rockets are bottom third in the league in attendance. I have been to plenty of games and sometimes the crowds look much smaller than what they report. The rockets have among the worst TV ratings in the entire league. Of course some of that falls on Les and comcast, but it isn't like the rockets are a hot ticket in town even with Lin.

17. rocketblood713

give me a reason to believe anything coming out of the New York Daily News ?????????????

18. rocketblood713

are sure about that

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why did he put Lin back in the game in the 4th quarter yesterday? Beverley was having a good game, and Lin wasn't.

20. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

No, the power does not reside in Lin to fire coaches. It reside in Les, and Les was apparently the one who wanted Lin here.

Thus, it would seem that if a power struggle took place between an unproven coach who has had issues with players on the team in the past and a player who is unique and acknowledged to be marketable and popular by the league, I think McHale would be the one walking the short plank.

Attendance is just one measure of popularity and only one avenue of revenue for a team.

Let's go back to Adam Silver from the All Star Game:

http://www.csnhouston.com/blog/2013.../lin’s-international-popularity-still-growing

So, who is likely to win a power struggle between an NBA golden child that seems a favorite of the owner and an unproven coach who might not get along so great with today's players?

Doesn't seem like a tough call.

The league needs Lin and is counting on him. You think they're just going to stand by and let Lin be dissed right and left and diminished in value?

Sure they will.

There's a much larger picture here that I don't think some people get. Maybe they don't want to get it, I'm not sure.