1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. trock

trock Member

I agree with this that McHale is either calling him selfish or stupid. Neither of which seems fitting or called for really.

2. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Oh ok, then it's all good.

MOVE ALONG PEOPLE THERE'S NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Ok you speak a lot of about this interview, could you post the link? I want to see for myself so I can see what you're saying

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Allow me to reiterate,

Popovich did the same thing with Tony Parker. There is nothing wrong with Coach telling a very coachable player to stop jumping in the air with nowhere to go.

Lin has the mental fortitude and confidence in himself to accept constructive criticism. Why can't his fans be the same as him. smh

5. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

go to the rockets website and look it up. its there.

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

When I think "his team" I think of the rockets. But ok you've made your point

7. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

lol I hope the coaching staff had twitter accounts too!

8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Wait what? The link reeko posted said woodson called out Carmelo Anthony.

9. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Coach should call out the entire team "Team would rather score 110 pts ... while turning the ball over 20 times, and give up 115 pts on defense."

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

That's not what he said.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Thanks for the great help!:rolleyes:

12. Ultimate6thMan

There really is no DEFENSE to a coach making this statement about his player, let alone a player who really hasn't demonstrated this type of behavior to any of the fans watching the game.

I have been critical of McHale for his rotations, substitution patterns and late in game decisions, but have never gotten on board with those that claim he hates Lin.

But honestly, after this comment, I am now scratching my head and starting to look at things differently. I have not heard anything so detrimental about a young starting pg in my basketball life of over 30 years.

I really disgusted by this statement. Just yesterday as I was starting to route for McHale and hope that he grows with the team, especially after DM just helped him out a bit with his rotation mistakes.

But now, I think I would just rather see him gone as a coach. I don't want to see Lin gone because I think he will grow into the perfect compliment pg to Harden over time.

2 people like this.
  13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Because almost all of them are hyper sensitive and reek of social instability.

14. underoverup

underoverup Member

I see the hive mind is out in force today.

15. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win,"

Seriously, how can the takeaway from that not be that Lin is looking for his points at the expense of higher TO and as a result team win??

16. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

This would be fine if he only said "Jeremy needs to be careful with the ball, we can't win with that many turnovers" or something along those lines.

But by bringing up his "29pts", it's like McHale is blaming Lin's stupid TOs on him stubbornly trying to get his OWN points.

Do you think that's the case REEKO?
    To me it actually looks like Jeremy doesn't look for his own shot ENOUGH :confused:

17. OpportunityCost

Whenever I've heard or read it that a player prefers scoring over winning, the implication would seem to be that the player is selfish. Selfish in that, he's more focused on individual accolades(scoring) rather than team success(winning). Also selfish would seem to be a more politically correct term or adjective to use to describe a player on your team rather than calling them stupid - even if it's not explicit but implicit.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

If you thnk about it, guys been td his whole life that he's not good enough and look how that motivated him to where he is now. Sometimes I think mchale goes overboard on it but in reality he's actually dooing the very thing to jeremy that has kept him going all these years. Until jeremy stops the jump passes and questionable decisions that pop up once or twic a game, mchales gonna keep on him because jeremy gas shown he takes instruction that way

19. hltiki

hltiki Member

I think what is confusing and upsetting is the statement regarding the 29 points. It looks like Lin would rather have 29 points, but Mchale doesn't believe him scoring 29 points would be beneficial to the team. Perhaps Lin scoring 29 points would turn him into a Westbrook type of player?

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘James, we’re trying to win,’ ” McHale said.

I wonder if Mchale will say this line to Harden. Harden had 3 careless turnovers in the last quarter of the Nets game. He showed up at the tail end of the game but almost lost us that game.