1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Shaking up the Rotation, is Morey Attempting to Force McHale's Hand?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Have you not seem the movey "Moneyball". Thats what the GM did to the manager of the A's.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I posted this in another thread:

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=234209&page=2

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is there any evidence that suggests McHale is actually grumpy about the trade??

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Morey said the Morris trade wasn't just about cap space, but also about freeing playing time for DMo, TRob, and Smith. So yeah, I'd say he's forcing McHale's hand.

5. Anxiety Trooper

Agreed

6. brick

brick Member

I have never thought this way but I bet you are right. Morey must like the "Moneyball" and what he has been doing is very similar to the movie in which the manager forces the coach to use certain players by trading away the other, and the team ends up being much better in the end.

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Well yeah, obviously we were going to be trading a PF.

We had 5-6 PFs before trading Morris. So someone had to go.

Morris took up the most cap space and had the least upside.

I don't see how this isn't just the most logical trade for Morey?

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Or, Patterson just sucked.

9. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Agree with you. OP definitely has a point.

Morey basically said that Robinson should start sooner or later. If McHale perfer other players, he'd better make sure that we win :grin:

Full interview

http://www.csnhouston.com/basketball-houston-rockets/talk/morey-likes-thomas-robinsons-potential

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I don't get it. Every single one of us expected Patterson and Morris to be traded. It was the obvious move. Why are we making up this narrative we literally stole straight out of a movie after something we expected to happen happened?

11. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Lin's a young player with a lot of potential and he needs all the experience he can get. Should definitely be playing at least 35 minutes a night, if not slightly more. Maybe having the ASB helped, along with adrenaline, but last night he played 42 mins and didn't look at all tired at the end. Bottom line, he needs minutes, and more than 32 a night.

12. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

In his interview, Morey specifically addressed this max salary capability question from a reporter. He said he didn't make the move for cap space reasons, but to free up playing time DMo and crew.

13. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Highly disagree. If he had played 32 minutes last night we would have lost. He's tired because he puts out effort on BOTH ends of the court. Unlike some others. He's in good shape and needs to play 35-37 minutes for the Rockets to win consistently. Besides do you really want Beverley to play 16+ minutes?

14. novaman

novaman Member

One side result of the trade is that all those fans clamoring for more PT for Lin are going to get their wish.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

McHales staff is Morey's staff. McHale has to get Morey's approval about assistant coach hires. McHale accepted this up front before he signed the contract. It only stands to reason that while McHale may coach, Morey is calling the shots. So no, if Morey wanted Morris sitting I believe McHale would have just sat him.

16. loveofthegame44

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets front office loved and believed in Patterson.

18. conquistador#11

umm because morey himself said the trades freed up time for demo. And mchale in the interview posted and on charlie p's show wasn't down with letting ppat and morris go. yes, we expected it at some point, but mchale wasn't expecting it. His quote on charlie p's show was something like, " All I can do is coach who ever they give me." it was a good interview..
    http://www.sports790.com/player/?mi...M&program_id=pallilo.xml&program_name=podcast
    it starts at 9 minute 40 second mark.
    blahhh, i don't know how to post it straight from there, so a link will do.

19. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Couldnt Morey just fire him anyway if he wanted?

20. prs325

prs325 Member

But I bet McHale will start Delfino at the PF spot and keep DMo and Jones on the bench... WTH