1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Thomas Robinson; Morris traded to Phoenix; Patterson, Douglas, Aldrich to Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 20, 2013.

?

Do you like the Thomas Robinson-Patrick Patterson trade?

1. Yes

91.5%
  2. No

8.5%
  1. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

For those of you thinking the Rockets can still trade for Josh Smith, must realize we can only make the trade if we trade either Jeremy Lin or Omar Asik. They are the only two players we can trade to allow the trade to be approved by the league office. The salaries of incoming and outgoing players must come in at least 50% of each other. Josh Smith makes 13.2 million this year.

2. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0VXdPAnbLY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Lol realgm

4. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I guess, but don't you have to figure in the fact that Morris was only good enough for the D-League for large parts of last season?

It's like saying "don't give up on Oden, he's only played 20 games" (or whatever). At this point, I think most would agree that Oden is not living up to #1 pick status. It's not only games played, it's time spent getting to know the player and seeing what you've got. The Rockets must feel like they've had enough time to know what they had in Morris. Not a bad player, but not worth turning down the rest of this deal for.

Of course, maybe the Kings feel like they have had enough time to get to know Robinson and they're fleecing us with a head case. Or maybe they're just being cheap because ownership (new or old) is pushing it.

5. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

All of those teams like hawks and Pacers will ask for Parsons and Maori will not bite.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not true, we have over 5 million in cap space + we have many smaller contracts which can add up to make the deal work. Ask Bima.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Francisco Garcia + anyone else would work too, right?

8. Grigori

Grigori Member

Think of Morris as a used $15,000,000 lottery ticket...that didn't win. So we traded him for a new $5,000,000 lottery ticket.

;)

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

as high as that sun's 2nd rounder will be, it's actually better than a late 1st rounder (Morris' probable value) because it's not guaranteed money.

Bud, Landry, and Parsons are proof perfect of what Morey does with 2nd rounders. He finds solid players and locks them up for multiple years at $800k

10. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I probably laughed more than I should have. XD

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Me too.

BTW, is Robinson good at defense?

12. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

The trade would have nothing to do with capspace. The league requires trades involving players to have their salaries within a minimum of 50% of all players involved. That's the reason Asik or Lin would have to be included in a trade. Nobody else on the Rockets roster makes anything.

13. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

They were just acquired and can not be used for trades till after the season. Nobody else on the roster makes over $5million this year.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick
    The declaration that Thomas Robinson wasn't available to be traded was rooted in the logistics (reporting etc.) & not CBA. It is possible.

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA
    Just to clarify again: HOU is free to re-route Robinson, provided they finish the trade (physicals, reporting, etc) in time. That's unlikely

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So Morey is busy mind-melding with his iPad, working that Robinson deal so he can move him for Smith?

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

not really but he tries and has a ton of physical talent and toughness. i think long term he's going to be a great defender.

17. Blaushark

Blaushark Member

DM must have really listened to my wish, PPat, Aldrich, Douglas and Morris were exactly the players that I really wanted to get rid of for some reasons. After finding out they were traded....all of them... Im a so so happy... We have cleaned up the extra fat... We're lean now but solid...:)

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

can't believe i'm saying this ...but i really appreciate Les Alexander. (It's the Maloof's fault).

It's nice to have an owner who cares more about winning than money.

Now get that tv deal done you greedy b*stard ;)

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Parsons and Greg Smith are now the two most tenured Rockets.

Wut. #revolvingdoor

20. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen

Still talk about Rockets flipping Robinson? Not the plan at all. Besides, physicals must be done, don't even start until after the deadline.

Looks like we're keeping him guys!