1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advanced Statistics Added to Revamped N.B.A. Site

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mirus, Feb 15, 2013.

1. mirus

mirus Member

Link here
    http://stats.nba.com/?ls=nbacom&GameScope=Season&PlayerOrTeam=Player&StatCategory=Points

Howard Beck article
    Read more:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/s...ase.html?smid=tw-nytimessports&seid=auto&_r=0

2. what

what Member

3. Arthurprescott2

They brought back the zone-by-zone shot chart!

4. Omer

Omer Member

When did Kobe become 6'7?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is there anything there that one can't easily find from basketball-reference.com or some of the other sites that are out there?

Glad the NBA is putting this stuff out there on their official site, but they seem to be a little behind the times. Probably the media will start referring to some of these "advanced" stats like TS% more on their broadcasts.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Durv, any idea what this PIE percentage is? It says "player impact" but doesn't really quantify it, but it seems to be a composite rating including defense.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just needed to click it haha.

7. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

I remember seeing him listed as 6'7 in some places more than a decade ago. Player heights are screwy, and it's not helpful that a lot of the time shoes are added in. Lots of players are more than an inch shorter than what they're listed at.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

One of the cool things about the site is there use a lot of JSON. So if you want to programmatically analyze data it makes it easier.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Pretty much what its about. They're monopolizing everything they can instead of leaving too many alternatives outside of themselves. And trying to have it all in-house.

Yeah NBA is way late to the game, its gonna take them a while to have the dedicated detail to stats that the other sites have. Some might knock the simplistic look of stat tables and columns of some of the sites likes basketball-reference, but it seems the best way to read into numbers. NBA might need to be even more minimal for slow poking browsers in tablets and phones.

I like how in their OLD OLD box scores from the 50's how its the same universal template like the CURRENT times with the "Watch Highlights - TVCompanion - League Pass"

As though they've really archived some Bob Cousy video highlights into it, or like the full game is somehow really available in League Pass.

EX: Boston Celtics @ New York Knicks - Saturday, February 2nd, 1957
    http://stats.nba.com/gameDetail.html?GameID=0025600192

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I hate data being on 82games. Their site is crap, even though they give the most advanced stuff. Wish they'd just be merged into basketball-reference.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I rarely use 82games.com these days. Basketball-reference has almost everything one could want. HoopData.com and nbawowy.com also is good.

Looking around, the new stats page does provide some cool stuff (play-by-plays going back to 1997, player combinations/splits, precise per-possession stats instead of estimated). I don't like the interface though. Basketball-reference layout is ideal, IMO.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Clutch stats are why I go to 82games. I don't see them on basketball-reference. They have them in the splits section for baseball.

13. what

what Member

wow, i doubt have the people on the boards know WHAT json is. only programming geeks probably have heard of json. Nerd!