1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Clippers 2/13/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

And it was a loss on our home court.

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

This is very off-topic for this thread, but I really don't like D'Antoni. These sort of remarks are very bad for team chemistry. Like how he commented on Pau Gasol this season for a future hall-of-famer it's just sad. The Lakers locker room issue of course starts with Kobe and Dwight, but D'Antoni aggravates it with all those smart-ass comments. Perhaps the Knicks would've been better without him in the first place as well.

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

4. andersongo

andersongo Member

Exactly. The reason Popovich is a great coach is that he holds everyone accountable. A good example is probably the GOAT coach in sports Sir Alex Ferguson of Manchester United (my favorite team :cool:). He had coached way bigger stars than Kobe, LBJ, etc...and he holds everyone on his team accountable while being a real tyrant in the dressing room. That's because he knows full well that being a disciplinarian without consistency will only mean that in the long term his players (and fans) will rightly believe that he is full of ****.
    Now, does it means that Mc Hale is the malicious guy painted by LOFs? No! It's just that he is a bad coach who does not know how to use his player's strengths and that to accept responsibility for his teams short-comings and not targeting and humiliating his players is public will go a long way toward enhancing his credibility.

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Agreed.

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Agreed. At least we would have his 2s to fall back on.

7. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Vice versa.

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Do you guys think McHale has a contingency plan for the time when 3's are not falling?

He should have one when he insists on every one shooting 3's. And I have yet to see it.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Agreed.

10. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

That's a r****ded tactic if you still call it one.

11. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Who is that guy talking to Lin with his hand on Lin's shoulder?

12. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL.Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Tony parker, Carmelo Anthony CP3 all are more deserving of the MVP than Harden. These guys have led there team to top seeds.

14. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

15. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

This is why I have been questioning if McHale has a contingency plan for 3-point shooting slumps. This is not the first time that we have this happened.

One option would be to have players switch to shooting 2's more, or to sub in players good at 2's, especially with some one like PPat. Unfortunately he was left out most of the time despite shooting 6/11 for 12 points when he was on the floor.

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

definitely you're new to rox. he is athletic trainer, Keith Jones.

17. mothman

mothman Member

On the one hand, you accused posters of passing judgements without basis. On the other hand, you made sweeping statements like "Lin isn't a Woodson-type player". What???

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/a...ng_to_knicks_coach_mike_woodson_says/11093501

Not only did you contradict yourself & not make any sense in your argument (if there's any), you absolutely disregard & dismissed other posters as mere Bieber's type of fans with absolutely zero basketball knowledge in one of your earlier posts.

And since in your earlier post you used Woodson as a comparison, I countered with Woodson's treatment on Lin. Yet you seemed like you have little or no knowledge on the topic.

And since when did I judged based on coaching style? The points I made about Woodson was based on what he said & what was reported.

Regarding McHale, I just commented on what happened during the game:

- jumping & yelling at the starting pg in his face immediately after his 2nd TO
    - giving the ball handling duty to Parsons (who btw is more TO-prone) immediately following that TO
    - not holding other players like Delfino, Parsons or Harden (all of whom turned the ball over a lot during crunch times) to the same standard of "accountability" during game time for the same mistakes

It's not a bad idea to hold a player accountable for his mistakes, but consistency is the key. And I don't mean consistently doing it to the same player(s) and giving some other players a pass. If the coach is the type that gets on his player's face all the times, then that is not an issue since every player gets the same treatment. However, when the coach is not consistent in holding all his players to the same standard of accountability, that's where I disagree with how the player was being handled. And that's precisely my point, McHale is not very good at managing the players.

1 person likes this.
  18. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

pretty good for being on the tail end of a B2b and no harden, vs the clips... and we know Jeremy(and pretty much the whole team) look dead on b2b's.

they just gotta weather the storm next time and keep on pushing in the 2nd half... those clips will break down eventually. never let up cuz rockets can just drop a ton on you any second.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

What about not having well-thought-out offensive schemes or at least a contingency plan for 3's not falling, plus discriminately yelling to players when things were not going as expected?

Good coaches know how to motivate players, whether through yelling or encouraging words, to perform better.

Depressing your main playmaker in the middle of a game when Harden was out was NOT a sign of good in-game coaching.

20. mothman

mothman Member

And he destroys his credibility when he does that selectively. At any level of sports.