1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Feb 12, 2013.

?

Who's your 5?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2013.
  1. Bud Norris

87.8%
  2. Lucas Harrell

98.0%
  3. Jordan Lyles

93.9%
  4. Philip Humber

53.1%
  5. Erik Bedard

71.4%
  6. Alex White

28.6%
  7. Brad Peacock

20.4%
  8. John Ely

8.2%
  9. Dallas Keuchel

18.4%
  10. Other (Cosart/Seaton/etc. also, please name)

8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'd like to consider this an offshoot of the main Spring Training thread.

So... this was Brian T. Smith's projected Opening Day rotation.

Bud Norris
    [​IMG]

Lucas Harrell
    [​IMG]

Jordan Lyles
    [​IMG]

Philip Humber
    [​IMG]

Erik Bedard
    [​IMG]

However, Jeff Luhnow's deals from this offseason have added John Ely, Brad Peacock, Alex White, three pitchers who have experience as starters in a major league rotation.

Dallas Keuchel made 16 starts last season. Edgar Gonzalez had 6 starts late last season and is a non-roster invitee. Kyle Weiland made 3 starts before being lost for the season.

Also, there are 6 pitchers on the current 40-man roster that have had experience starting in the minors. Not to mention that Luhnow's deals have really brought a great deal of depth in starting pitchers in the upper minors.

And so, with that said... who will be the 5 guys that will make up the Houston Astros' starting rotation come March 31?

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Humber, Norris, and Bedard are definitely starting.

Houston will be looking to trade Bedard at the deadline if healthy imo.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Harrell Lyles Humber Bedard Ely

+ White in the pen

Norris will be traded before the season starts

(based on no info)

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Philip Humber and Erik Bedard should not start. I do not see the point in having them start for half a season, hoping they perform well enough to be traded for *prospects* at the July deadline. The Astros farm is now fairly well stocked with prospects. What they really need is for their MLB ready prospects to get MLB experience.

Alex White, Brad Peacock and John Ely need to compete for the last two spots in the rotation, with the loser getting sent to the pen or AAA. I chose White and Ely since they have nothing left to prove at AAA, while Peacock does.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Harrell and Lyles are locks barring a trade.

I think Norris is traded or moved to the bullpen. Obviously one of our top 5 starters, but depth in the rotation means parts have to be moved around.

I think Bedard should start as long as he does well in ST. He's been an ace in the majors, which nobody else on this roster can say.

After that, I'm going with Ely and White to fill those last 2 spots. If Norris is starting, I'd take Ely out.

6. juicystream

We could always use better near ready guys or high upside guys in the low levels that won't cost us a 40-man spot.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't think Norris moves to the pen...because if he's not traded, he's gonna be showcased as a potential starter (to be traded), no? Either that, or I guess a closer. But I would think he's more likely to be traded as a starter given his history

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Norris is more valuable as starter so I definitely agree. I expect he'll have a breakout year and solidify himself as a good number three starter.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

To date, Ely and White have had zero success at the MLB level. They're going to need to show something this Spring to have a chance, otherwise they need to be in AAA correcting their deficiencies.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Makes sense but ...

If you take into consideration all of Luhnow's recent trades, the Astros have added ~20 players into the farm system. Most of which play A ball or above. For example as you know, the starting pitching is so crowded in AA and AAA that 20 pitchers are competing for 10 spots.

It make more sense to me now to have the current set of prospects sort in out in AA and AAA.

The Astros might be interested in younger prospects but again after the 2012 draft and upcoming 2013 draft the three short summer leagues are going to be crowded with talent.

Back to my original argument, giving a veteran player PT in order to build trade value is a tradeoff versus developing MLB ready prospects. Neither trade is a slam dunk. Veteran players can tank and prospects can flop.

12. juicystream

It reminds me of the Brett Myers situation last year. To our team I think he is more valuable in the starting rotation (200 IP vs. 70 IP). Once again there is a glaring hole at the back end of the bullpen, and several guys competing for a spot in the rotation. Also to a contender, Norris may be more valuable as a closer since he would probably be a 4th or 5th starter for most of those teams.

13. juicystream

Give the veterans 5 or 6 starts, and pull the plug if it isn't working and go with the young guys.

14. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

When looking at the numbers Norris put up last year, it is really hard to over look his struggles with the second and third time through a line up. Bud had a SO/BB ratio of 4.17 the first time through and 2.25 the second time through a line up. Even though opponents only saw a .030 increase in batting average, their slugging percentage went up over .100 from the first to second time through.

Yes, the 'Stros need inning eaters, and Bud has shown that he can be a successful starter, but I think what is best for bud is to at least try out the pen. He drastically struggled with walks to the lefties, and I think that it would be interesting to see if that persists as a bullpen guy. Also, for what it is worth, Bud only walked 2 lead off batters to start games in 2012 in 29 games pitched while surrendering 3 hits. I think it is worth a shot regardless of how the rest of our pitchers are performing.

To not derail the thread, I would like to see Harrell, Bedard, Humber, Lyles, White in the rotation with Dallas or Peacock as the next guy in line.:)

1 person likes this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

1. Harrell
    2. Norris
    3. Bedard
    4. Lyles
    5. Peacock

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Harrell
    Lyles
    Humber
    Bedard
    White

I think Morris gets trade soon, if he isn't traded then swap him in for white (that's not my rotation, just the 5 pitchers)

17. juicystream

I was confused. Thinking when did Jack Morris come out of retirement? Or maybe Matt Morris?

*Norris

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mine minus the order. I think Norris is the "ace".

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't see why you have to put Norris in the choices. :eek: Shoe-in.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

In no particular order

Harrell
    Norris
    Lyles
    Bedard
    Umber