1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy, Hill, or Penny?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by blathersby, Feb 7, 2013.

?

If injuries hadn't sidelined them, who would've had the best career?

1. Brandon Roy

35 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. Grant Hill

189 vote(s)
    59.6%
  3. Penny Hardaway

82 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Other

11 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Penny was tall and explosive but he was headed towards that tier of point guards that included Kevin Johnson and Tim Hardaway.

Hill was a stat machine, especially on the boards but I picked Roy.

Roy had something Hill didn't, an ability to take the game into his hands in the final 2 minutes and will his team to a win. I couldn't see Grant Hill as the best player on a championship team, with Roy I could.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the Oden example highlights why these what-if questions are pointless. Oden's body was fatally flawed from the start. Same with Yao's and Rik Smits' feet. That's almost as big a flaw as being bad at basketball. Saying what if such-and-such traumatic injury never happened is one thing, but theorizing on what would happen if a player's body wasn't debilitated by the strain of the NBA is something again. In no alternate universe does Oden have a career free of major injury.

3. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Yeah, but it's more fun than FIRE MCHALE or WHERE'S DONUTS/VSPAN? or HEY DID YOU KNOW THE LAKERS AREN'T VERY GOOD?

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

can't even call it,

penny- pg with size that could play the post and had a little range, played above the rim

grant hill- yes, he really could do it all

brandon roy- played above the rim, could make clutch shots, not a bad distibutor

5. 713

713 Member

Yao Ming would DOMINATE today's big man and it wouldn't even be fair.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Penny never really got a chance to be the man. The year Shaq left is when the injuries started.

Shaq was hurt to start the 95-96 season. Penny averaged 25 and 7 on 50% shooting and the led the Magic to a 24-6 start.

He was really a SG, but i think he would have been a superstar. A longer Dwayne Wade.

Grant Hill put up numbers but I don't ever remember him being dominant. He didn't really seem like he could take over a game. He was a great player, but needed a star with him to win you anything.

Roy was clutch, but he was a step down from those 2. Hell of a player, but limited.

So Penny IMO

7. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

It's close but I go with Penny over Hill because while both guys had the ability to fill the box score the one thing that seperated them is that Penny had the better perimeter game. Hill had a mid range shot but was no threat from downtown. Even if the injuries never happened, at some point age would have caught up to both guys and they wouldn't be able to dominate based on their physical skills alone. I think Penny was more adapt to succed at that point over Hill and thus would have been the better player had they avoided their major injuries.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Grant Hill went to Duke, so I voted Penny.

1 person likes this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not sure why T-Mac is in this conversation, considering the timing of his injuries were so much later than the 3 listed in the OP.

Personally I have to go with Penny Hardaway. He was the once in a decade nightmare matchup. A 6-7 PG that can shoot, drive, post up, everything.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Grant Hill
    Penny

Roy

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm surprised to see Penny get so much respect. He was a good, promising player, but he didn't seem that special.

12. Asian Sensation

Agree and disagree. He was special but it was blown out of proportion as I mentioned because of the commercials, making the finals playing alongside Shaq and he was a flashy player with style.

13. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Grant Hill = God? Next MJ? What the heck are you guys remembering?

He was a first-teamer once.

Only averaged over 21.4 points per game once.

Never made it out of the first round of the playoffs until he was an older player in Phoenix.

Was an excellent all-around player, but not nearly a LeBron level talent like many of you are suggesting.

14. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The only guy who could defend.
    Grant Hill. He was Scottie Pippen-lite on D, but better offensively.

15. Asian Sensation

Only averaged over 21.4 points per game once?? Yet he managed to average 21.58 points per game, 7.76 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 1.6 steals over course of his 6 years. In addition he was really coming into his own as a leader. He also led the Pistons to the Playoffs in 3 out of those first 6 years being the man without much help.

16. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill's offensive numbers are a bit deflated considering they didn't play in a distinctive no hand checking era.

17. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

dwight? hahaha

18. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

T-Mac's last nearly full season was at 25 years old. First season with Houston...We never got Orlando T-Mac.