1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 2/5/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 4, 2013.

1. kastuul

kastuul Member

In off-season, SAS said Lin and Asik won't make HOU better.
    He must insist that.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3TsDGw7s5Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

If you are looking for a single stat that encapsulates defense perfectly then you are out of luck. Context needs to be applied. Carter doesn't even start. In Lin's case I think his DRAPM is fair considering that McHale & Morey praised Lins defense. Synergy is probably one of the better websites to use for defensive numbers but even synergy isn't perfect.

4. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

The Warriors need to get fined just like Spurs for not playing to win last night in the last minutes of the 4th quarter.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The funniest part was listening to the Warriors TV announcers say how Rockets wouldn't keep up the pace of their torrid 3 point shooting and Warriors are playing so well offensively they will catch them. They kept saying that in the first half and probably part way through the third. Then, reality set in.

I was kind of pissed about how bad our defense was for a while...even screaming multiple times the Warriors scored at ease and ready to break something...cause we are shooting the 3 lights out and they are still able to stay in the game within striking distance. It felt like the Rockets were going to get caught up to the way the Warriors were scoring at will if we even had the slightest slump. Our D did look better in the second half late but, for a while, this game looked like all O with no D on either side. We are lucky those 3s were falling or this would have been a game.

I expect the Warriors will be up for their home game coming up against us. It should be an interesting game...cause they definitely have some anger built up to take that game.

6. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Yeah, for context, I've scrutinized Rondo's head to head match ups this season versus Lin's head to head match ups. While Rondo won a bigger percentage of his head to head match ups, he has had a down year in terms of oppositions' offensive efficiency. .

Also, if I throw out the games I watched (Toronto, Portland x 2, Spurs, Lakers, Nets, Knicks) Lin has been fairly steady defensively. Right up there with Rubio, who I think is a good defender. Lin's DRAPM is .68 while Rubio is at .70. Good stuff. Thank you.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Wait you haven't watched every Rockets game this season?

8. mothman

mothman Member

Do you have problem reading? I was NOT responding to your original point (whatever point that may be). Isn't obvious from my post that I was responding to your following quote (note: I QUOTED it in the post):

You highlighted 1 game & based on that 1 game, you concluded that Lin was a below average defender. In my post, I just pointed out the facts which you may have missed or conveniently left out.

For your sake, let me re-phrase my response to your above post:

1) in the 1st games against the Raptors in Nov, both Lowry & Calderon didn't do well against Lin, but Calderon did scored 9 pts against TD who played <10mins. The was a blow-out win for Rockets.

2) in the 2nd game against the Raptors in Dec, Calderon started the game in place of Lowry (who was injured) & made 6/12 (1/5 3pt) in 36.5mins. What you left out was the fact that Calderon was fouled 3x leading to 6 fta within the last minute of the game by Lin to stop the shot clock from running. Those end-of-game FTs is the main factor contributing to Calderon scoring above his 30min average. If you take a closer look at Calderon's stats for this game, 0.20 3pt% & 13 pts from 12 fga (mainly long 2's) is not very efficient, isn't it?

The point was, shouldn't you use a bigger sample size when judging a player rather than simply based your judgement on a single game & based solely on the box score of that game without viewing it from the proper perspective? Checking out all the facts is not a bad place to start.

Now, in response to your post quoted at the very top of this post:

1) In your post: "You guys try too damn hard to defend your player when he's had bad games."

I have 30 posts in this forum so far. Since when did I defend Lin when he had a bad game? Again I like to see the facts & could you pls provide the quote?

2) In your post: "But whatever you guys categorize Tony Douglas' defensive ability to be, the coaching staff have felt Jeremy's D is worse against certain match ups, and I'm just going to leave it at that."

First of all, I have never categorized TD's defensive ability. In fact I've mentioned in one of my earlier posts that "I think TD is at least not a bad defender". Now regarding your point that the coaching staff felt Lin's D is worse against certain matchups, the question I would raise is how was the end results when they made the substitution? Was it any better or worse in most cases? Again I think it is good to find out the facts & not just based on the coaching staff's hunch.

3) In your post: "If he is as good offensively and defensively as some of you claim that he is, he'd be an All-NBA type player."

Again pls provide the quote that I have written anything related to that.

9. tefunk

tefunk Member

10. mothman

mothman Member

* Isn't it obvious from my post that I was responding to your following quote ...

fixed.

11. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

that is hilarious! look at parsons! wth is that dude doing? I guess he is bent over laughing. kind of looks like he is blowing chunks or something. LOL

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great to see better shooting from Lin and Parsons in particular.
    If we get an upgrade at the 4 without giving up too much or paying a lot, we will be in good shape for the future.

14. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Are you addressing me or the tweeters?

Because I posted it for humor.

1 person likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the tweeters. sorry. i obviously screwed up. Will rep you.

16. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

No prob.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

fistpumping?

18. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Nope. FML, I'm a snowbird at my brother's lake cabin just outside Houston this Fall/Winter year, and neither DirecTV or SuddenLink has carried the games.

To the other's who have chimed in to defend, ahem, Lin's defense, I have to apologize for what seemed to be my cherry picking his off nights. I promise it wasn't intentional.

19. lakedragon

lakedragon Member

I am going to the Clipper game next week. Being waiting for months. Hope CP3 can play.

20. lakedragon

lakedragon Member

Did you all notice that Parsons trying to follow on Asik's miss FT every time? So funny.